I finally found it! My “holy grail”!

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
The fine folks at /r/steelbooks have a good idea that I think could work well here.

Share a picture or pictures of your most recent “grail” discovery.

A “GRAIL” is an edition that might have taken you a while to find, has a good story about how you found it, or is important to you in some way. Grail does NOT indicate value. A $5 find at a thrift store could be a grail to you!

1) where you found it (RETAILER, MARKETPLACE, THRIFT STORE, etc)
2) who produced the edition (if it's a premium or retailer exclusive, please note to help other members! Filmarena, Reel Synergy, BluFans, Zavvi Exclusive, etc)
3) your own picture
4) share your story, if you can!
5) (optional) if you traded for it, what was the trade or how much you might have purchased it for.

INITIAL THREAD GIVEAWAY DETAILS
To kick off this thread and to keep it going, there will be at least one giveaway, maybe more if there’s enough participation!

The more grails you post in single / individual posts, the better chances become!

Prize list:

1 winners of 4k Blu-ray COMPLETE Indiana Jones set
2 winners of 4k Blu-ray Godfather Trilogy set

Last edited:
I’ll start, here’s a grail of mine. Love it because of the Rory Kurtz art and the pink colors. Originally bought for retail from FAC.

662052C8-E4D5-49F9-9943-16C28977EF50.jpeg

I’ll start, here’s a grail of mine. Love it because of the Rory Kurtz art and the pink colors. Originally bought for retail from FAC.

View attachment 553058
I still find it hilarious I got banned from /r/steelbooks... Haha. I can't be arsed to tske or find the picture right now. But that Mondo Ironman one was a long time search until that Amazon.dd restock. I almost dropped £150 on that thing too.

Cool idea Andy. I’ll have to have a think because I haven’t picked up a grail or something I’ve been after for years in a while.

I suppose one that’s important to me plus I won it through this forum and on top of that is that it’s signed by John Carpenter is the Mondo thing. That’s one of my grails. A prized possession

39FC9C71-F7F6-419D-A9E2-0AA8D370D4AA.jpeg

Another is the Original HMV drive Steel.
Had it years but at the time it was sold out and going for silly money so it was the first non premium steel I bought on the second market that was above cost from its original price. And i was also lucky to get it at a bargain. The steel means a lot to me

36D9EACE-67D6-4717-8F90-C7BAAEE08A9E.jpeg

My most recent grail is Wind River Kimchidvd box set and lenticular.
I loved the movie and when I found out it contained that beautiful poem, I had to have it.
Prices jumped up since it's original release and I found the OC set on Yukipalo, he had 1 ''New and sealed'' for $200 and one ''Damaged'' for $130
I could not afford the Mint condition so I picked the damaged and the lenticular, to my suprise I was sent the NEW AND SEALED condition.
I did contact Yukipalo about this mistake and was willing to pay for it, however they were so kind enough to let me keep it since it was quote ''our mistake''

Also got the FAC maniac box because I had to have that badge, for free!!
20230128_102839.jpg
20230128_102845.jpg
20230128_102955.jpg
20230128_102913.jpg

before I properly started collecting steels I only had around 8-10. Off the top of my head I remember hellboy, oldboy and battle royale and a few DVD steels like cloverfield, avatar, sin city and American gangster but I wasn’t sold on them completely. And most were bought at complete random however it was these 3 that sealed my love for them and when the unhealthy obsession took over my brain. 3 of the ultimate non premium grails

902DB049-12D8-463A-8274-E908562EA902.jpeg

363E0E56-538F-4694-A941-29BAA596FEC0.jpeg

1F9EEAE3-657C-4049-86E8-08A065DE69CF.jpeg

I feel this was in stock at PA up until last year? Maybe someone can correct me.

From Andys OP

A “GRAIL” is an edition that might have taken you a while to find, has a good story about how you found it, or is important to you in some way. Grail does NOT indicate value. A $5 find at a thrift store could be a grail to you!

My most recent grail is Wind River Kimchidvd box set and lenticular.
I loved the movie and when I found out it contained that beautiful poem, I had to have it.
Prices jumped up since it's original release and I found the OC set on Yukipalo, he had 1 ''New and sealed'' for $200 and one ''Damaged'' for $130
I could not afford the Mint condition so I picked the damaged and the lenticular, to my suprise I was sent the NEW AND SEALED condition.
I did contact Yukipalo about this mistake and was willing to pay for it, however they were so kind enough to let me keep it since it was quote ''our mistake''

Also got the FAC maniac box because I had to have that badge, for free!!
View attachment 553065View attachment 553066View attachment 553067View attachment 553068
excuse me billy just be honest here every edition you buy is a grail until you buy the next one :LOL:
and billy dont deny it either or i start talking about your dolly collection :D

basil :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Billy Talent
as this about grails mine was inglourious basterds futureshop for those that remember i searched for 2 years to find one that was affordable and for sale more importantly at the time a sealed one was £150 if you could get it, but at the time i did not have much money at all.
so ended up with an open one that came up in mint condition for $75 and i would have always opened it to inspect it all like with the dog tags and stuff inside and actually use it.
hate the idea of sealed personally.
it was never about money it was an edition i just had to have come hell or high water.

anyway miss the days of futureshop.

basil :thumbs:

excuse me billy just be honest here every edition you buy is a grail until you buy the next one :LOL:
and billy dont deny it either or i start talking about your dolly collection :D

basil :rofl:
They are not dolls! It's hyper realistic high quality silicone (very expensive) collectibles., only a true collector such as myself will understand this.
You think I spend $2600 on an Amber Heard statue because she looks like a doll? No sir....this is the closest thing to Amber Heard I can get...it's so damn real you can practically feel the slap!
....But yes I agree with you on the first part I haven't touched my OG grails in years!:D

• Haha
Reactions: Basil
Tthis is gonna be a long story!
I managed to order I Tonya by Plain Archive 2 years after its original Pre order date directly from PA.
It was this post I saw by @Flloydo who mentioned Kurtz, at the time I had no Idea who Rory Kurtz was so I checked him out and loved his art.
I initially wanted the Fullslip A and placed an order for it back in 2020 (see my post back in 2020) but changed my mind and cancelled that one and ordered Slip B instead after seeing that specific post.
Around this time is when PA had problems with shipping they removed the cheapest option and only had the more expensive shipping available, so PA kept sending emails to customers about it and if I wanted the item I would need to pay extra costs.
I kept postponing it because back then paying shipping for 1 single item I really wasn't cool with, and forgot about the order over time.

Fast forward 2 years later they announced the Celine Sciamma trilogy box set, I placed an order in february 2022 and waited until release date which was in April, I didn't hear anything about it until I got an email from PA in July that my order was cancelled.
By this time the box set was already sold out, so I was pissed at PA because it seems they cancelled my order by mistake.
Luckily in August @eLviS1987 notified me here that it was back in stock, I placed another order immediately and contacted PA because I remembered my order of I tonya, and asked if they could combine the 2, $40 shipping for a box set and 1 slip I can do:emb:.

They let me know they can do that, I got a shipping notification however I was still skeptical, and thought no way the I tonya was still there set aside for me after 2 years.
Needless to say it arrived and I couldn't be happier I posted it right here, I am very glad I went with the Fullslip type B instead, it is incredible and made me a big fan of Kurtz's work.
Plain Archive has these beautiful elegant releases (best way I know how to put it) top tier quality, I am glad it ended well for me!:LOL:

View attachment 553083
20230412_093713.jpg
20230412_093736.jpg

20230412_093745.jpg
20230412_093813.jpg
20230412_094418.jpg

Last edited:
They are not dolls! It's hyper realistic high quality silicone (very expensive) collectibles., only a true collector such as myself will understand this.
You think I spend $2600 on an Amber Heard statue because she looks like a doll? No sir....this is the closest thing to Amber Heard I can get...it's so damn real you can practically feel the slap!
....But yes I agree with you on the first part I haven't touched my OG grails in years!:D

passes the kitchen roll
or in american
clean up isle 2 :D

• Haha
Reactions: Billy Talent
The original Spider-Man trilogy and The Dark Knight trilogy got me into steelbook collecting. I wanted to have beautiful editions for those movies and thus it started. So firstly I‘m going to mention my Spider-Man/ Batman grails:

07D1ECCF-3BBB-4CC4-9FC1-7C6FEFD3944A.jpeg

Before getting into premiums, this was the edition I aspired to get. The Dark Knight Trilogy Jumbo Steelbook, german edition. One day I walked into a local movie shop, they had a massive movie collection but barely any steelbooks. I tried my luck and asked them about this edition, they denied having it.
As I was about to leave I looked into an open cardboard box next to the counter. Under a small sheet of paper it was actually there, a sealed copy of this edition. A customer sold them the box that morning and they didn‘t have the time to unpack it yet.
I felt really lucky that day. Also a bit ripped off because I paid around 80$ for it and was too hyped to negotiate lol.
But that didn‘t last long I was just happy to have this edition.

Last edited:
F71FD663-6FD0-47EB-A9E9-9D5D6BDFD101.jpeg

The OG Spider-Man trilogy by WeET Collection is the reason I first stepped foot into premiums, and now I turned into an almost only premium steelbook collector. By accident I found a site advertising and selling them and after questioning whether I really want to spend that money I went for it. Those editions are also the reason I learned about hidefninja and eventually decided to create an account.
I don‘t have any premiums for the Dark Knight Trilogy yet, but the Manta Lab editions are finally going to be the ones :drool:

4E0C865E-F970-4F76-91D5-7DF5494823CF.jpeg

Those are my non steelbook Spider-Man and Batman grails. My two favorite animated series. I got the batman animated series back when it was released for retail price from amazon. The spider-man animated series I only got recently after searching it for years. I found a sealed copy on ebay for bidding. In the end I had to live off bread and water for a month but I wasn‘t going to lose the bidding this time lol.

Last edited: