Slipbox Incendies (Plain Archive Exclusive No.53) [Korea]

Feb 21, 2017
Release date: May 3, 2019
Purchase link: PlainArchive (Pre-order April 4 @ 4PM Korea time)
Price: $32.99
Notes: 800 copies

D3LRyOEUEAA2aPH.jpgD3LRyOEV4AA_FhB.jpgD3LRyOEUwAA0HPb.jpg
IMG_20190313_200553.jpgIMG_20190313_200556.jpgIMG_20190313_200558.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, a lot of his earlier work is very different to what it is now... as most director's stuff is I suppose. I don't think he truly found his niche until Prisoners, which came right after Incendies... although I guess Hollywood finally throwing money at him is to thank for that lol.
Yeah that’s true, I have watched quite a few directors early works and been disappointed. It’s nothing like what they are doing now. As you said though throwing a bucket load of money at them helps! Lol.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Yeah that’s true, I have watched quite a few directors early works and been disappointed. It’s nothing like what they are doing now. As you said though throwing a bucket load of money at them helps! Lol.
Yep, I mean even Kubrick's style changed over time IMO. Although as different as they were, even his earlier stuff is still great!

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill
@Noodles & @Sigill

Agree with all the above comments guys!! The slipcase looks absolutely gorgeous unwrapped!!

And yeah it is a lot different too his newer works! It is very stripped back and simple. He did have €6.5mill for this but it does seem alot less when you watch it! Some of the cinematography is gorgeous! So glad i picked this up!!

Maybe have a rewatch a few months down the line!!

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and Noodles
@Noodles & @Sigill

Agree with all the above comments guys!! The slipcase looks absolutely gorgeous unwrapped!!

And yeah it is a lot different too his newer works! It is very stripped back and simple. He did have €6.5mill for this but it does seem alot less when you watch it! Some of the cinematography is gorgeous! So glad i picked this up!!

Whoa, didn't realise it had that kind of budget! Makes me wonder where it all went lol.

I'm pretty sure this film was the second of his that I saw (after Enemy), so I didn't really have much else to go off, which may have helped with my enjoyment of it... because it certainly pales in comparison to his later stuff.

Glad you don't regret picking it up anyway mate. :)

Yep, I mean even Kubrick's style changed over time IMO. Although as different as they were, even his earlier stuff is still great!
That’s true mate. I watched The Killing and Fear and Desire and I was a little disappointed. They were fine but from a master director like Kubrick you expect everything to be amazing! I guess money talks!
I do think Tarantino did nail it though. Reservoir Dogs is pretty much as good as all his other films and I believe that was made for $600,000. That doesn’t happen very often though! Lol.

@Noodles & @Sigill

Damn really! I can’t believe it had that budget. As Noodles said not sure where it went! Lol. It is a good film and very powerful but I think once you realise the twist it didn’t have any rewatch value for me. Definatly a very nice edition though!:)

That’s true mate. I watched The Killing and Fear and Desire and I was a little disappointed. They were fine but from a master director like Kubrick you expect everything to be amazing! I guess money talks!
I do think Tarantino did nail it though. Reservoir Dogs is pretty much as good as all his other films and I believe that was made for $600,000. That doesn’t happen very often though! Lol.
Oh, I loved The Killing! I'm yet to see Fear and Desire though. Yeah, Tarantino is a perfect example of someone who delivers no matter what his budget... it takes a great mind to create interesting stories/characters/dialogue, not money.

• Thanks
Oh, I loved The Killing! I'm yet to see Fear and Desire though. Yeah, Tarantino is a perfect example of someone who delivers no matter what his budget... it takes a great mind to create interesting stories/characters/dialogue, not money.
Did you like it mate, I thought it was ok but I was expecting too much. I watched it after most of his other films. I think it’s better to watch the early ones first to keep the expectations down! Lol.

Did you like it mate, I thought it was ok but I was expecting too much. I watched it after most of his other films. I think it’s better to watch the early ones first to keep the expectations down! Lol.
I thought it was a nice little film to say it was one of his first. It's actually the last film of his I saw... so after all of his bigger ones. Granted I did lower my expectations though, as I had been told prior to seeing it that it didn't compare to his better known stuff.

@Sigill By the way, are there any films of his you haven't yet seen? I still haven't watched Lolita or Barry Lyndon, purely because I don't want to get to the point where I've no "new" Kubrick films left to watch lol.

• Thanks
Whoa, didn't realise it had that kind of budget! Makes me wonder where it all went lol.

I'm pretty sure this film was the second of his that I saw (after Enemy), so I didn't really have much else to go off, which may have helped with my enjoyment of it... because it certainly pales in comparison to his later stuff.

Glad you don't regret picking it up anyway mate. :)

Oh man I definetly dont regret it!!

But yeah it did seem that it was made with a very low budget! Like an old school Shane Meadows low budget! Haha.
Yeah Ive watched 4 of his other movies before this. Sicario, Enemy and Prisoners and they had lots bigger budgets and it clearly shows. They are all great movies too!!
I still am yet to watch Arrival and BR 2049 though!!

• Thanks
@Sigill

[/QUOTE]
Damn really! I can’t believe it had that budget. As Noodles said not sure where it went! Lol. It is a good film and very powerful but I think once you realise the twist it didn’t have any rewatch value for me. Definatly a very nice edition though!:)[/QUOTE]

Yeah man he did have a point with where that 6 mil went! Maybe he just never used it all!! It was a great film and i see what you mean about knowing the twist and there is no point but my feeble little mind doesnt really understand politics so now ive watched it one maybe i can follow it better on a rewatch!

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill and Noodles
Get on those ASAP! Blade Runner has grown to become one of my favourite films of all-time, despite not being a huge fan of the original.
I know man!!! I knew id get a grilling! I really keep meaning too but watch other stuff instead!:LOL: Is it best to watch the original first?

• Haha
I know man!!! I knew id get a grilling! I really keep meaning too but watch other stuff instead!:LOL: Is it best to watch the original first?
Lol I know what you mean mate... I'm seriously behind with films too. I'd definitely recommend watching the original first, although I've seen others say otherwise... personally I can't imagine watching BR2049 without having watched BR before it, especially as you'd have no real clue who Deckard is, and his backstory is kinda important IMO.

@Sigill By the way, are there any films of his you haven't yet seen? I still haven't watched Lolita or Barry Lyndon, purely because I don't want to get to the point where I've no "new" Kubrick films left to watch lol.
I’ve seen them all I think now mate. It is a bit miserable once you get to the end! What you would give for just one more film! Lol. I’ve started watching Kubrick documentaries now whenever they come round just for something new! Did you see Filmworker, it was pretty interesting. I didn’t realise how much work Leon Vitali did for Kubrick. Defiantly worth a watch if you get chance mate.

Damn really! I can’t believe it had that budget. As Noodles said not sure where it went! Lol. It is a good film and very powerful but I think once you realise the twist it didn’t have any rewatch value for me. Definatly a very nice edition though!:)

Yeah man he did have a point with where that 6 mil went! Maybe he just never used it all!! It was a great film and i see what you mean about knowing the twist and there is no point but my feeble little mind doesnt really understand politics so now ive watched it one maybe i can follow it better on a rewatch!
No doubt a rewatch can be good for a lot of films! I must admit I never saw the twist coming at all! Lol. I did enjoy it but I wouldn’t put it up there with his best films. He is on fire at the moment though!

Last edited:
@ChrisPatt, You need to watch BR 2049 and Arrival ASAP! Lol. Both great films. I think I liked Blade runner 2049 more than the sequel as well. I never loved the original like most though. I thought it was good but not amazing.

Last edited:
I’ve seen them all I think now mate. It is a bit miserable once you get to the end! What you would give for just one more film! Lol. I’ve started watching Kubrick documentaries now whenever they come round just for something new! Did you see Filmworker, it was pretty interesting. I didn’t realise how much work Leon Vitali did for Kubrick. Defiantly worth a watch if you get chance mate.
Haha yeah, that's what I'm scared of. Obviously his films have a lot of rewatchability, but there's nothing like experiencing a Kubrick film for the first time!

Can't say I've seen Filmworker mate, but I'll certainly look it up! Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbs:

• Thanks
Haha yeah, that's what I'm scared of. Obviously his films have a lot of rewatchability, but there's nothing like experiencing a Kubrick film for the first time!

Can't say I've seen Filmworker mate, but I'll certainly look it up! Thanks for the recommendation. :thumbs:
You are right mate, it’s not the same when it’s a rewatch! I didn’t love Lolita but I think it was the subject matter and age of it. Still worth a watch as it’s kubruck though! Lol. Barry Lyndon was visually unbelievable, every frame looks like a painting! I think you will enjoy it whenever you do decide to watch it!:D It’s a cool documentary mate, it was on film 4 a little while ago. Not sure if it’s still available or not but definatly worth checking out if you can.:)

You are right mate, it’s not the same when it’s a rewatch! I didn’t love Lolita but I think it was the subject matter and age of it. Still worth a watch as it’s kubruck though! Lol. Barry Lyndon was visually unbelievable, every frame looks like a painting! I think you will enjoy it whenever you do decide to watch it!:D It’s a cool documentary mate, it was on film 4 a little while ago. Not sure if it’s still available or not but definatly worth checking out if you can.:)
I'm a fan of the 1997 version, although I agree the subject matter makes it a very uncomfortable watch in places. I'm excited to see Kubrick's take on it though... just need to decide when to stop holding off and finally give it a watch. Same goes for Barry Lyndon of course, which I've heard nothing but great things about! A mate of mine says it's his favourite Kubrick film, so I'm expecting a lot from it lol.

Oh, cool. I'll have to keep an eye out then, as I know they often like to repeat stuff. If not, I'm sure I can easily pick up the DVD or something. :)

@ChrisPatt, You need to watch BR 2049 and Arrival ASAP! Lol. Both great films. I think I liked Blade runner 2049 more than the sequel as well. I never loved the original like most though. I thought it was good but not amazing.
I do man!!! I just noticed arrival is on C4 sunday 9pm so got it to record!! :thumbs: And my dad has 2049 on 4k so ill get too it!!

• Thanks