inFAMOUS Megathread - price drop, soundtrack, & free DLC

Jan 29, 2009
inFamous is an upcoming sandbox-style video game for the Sony PlayStation 3 video game console.It is currently in development by Sucker Punch Productions, creators of Rocket: Robot on Wheels, and the Sly Cooper video game franchise. The game was announced at Sony's E3 2007 Press Conference on July 11, 2007. The debut trailer indicated that the game would be released sometime in 2008, although the July 2008 issue of Game Informer has stated that the release date has been moved to Spring 2009. It will be the company's first original IP since Sly Cooper.

The game is a third-person sandbox world that combines elements of the superhero MMO City of Heroes with a roaming open-world, allowing the player to make choices between being a hero or an anti-hero that will affect the game. The player will also have access to electrical powers. The player will obtain them right at the beginning of the game.

inFamous follows the story of Cole McGrath, a bike messenger and resident of the fictional Empire City. At the start of the game, a package that Cole was assigned to deliver causes a huge explosion that rips apart six city blocks, leaving behind a crater and Cole as the only survivor. The explosion has granted Cole several electricity-based powers, but he falls into unconsciousness, waking up two weeks later to find that Empire City has fallen into chaos; without police, gangs have taken over areas of the city, and a plague has infected many of the residents causing the city to be quarantined by the government. It is revealed by "The Voice of Survival", a surviving disk jockey that broadcasts across the city, that Cole was the cause for the explosion, and thus setting the population of Empire City against him. Cole must come to terms with his powers, and opt to help those in need or simply survive on his own, facing off against larger threats that have manifested in the city due to the explosion and its aftermath.[4]

3333869162_e2ee74fca3.jpg

According to Fox, the team wanted to have Cole as a "kind of an everyman", such that they could then "get into the headspace of what it would be like to be a real human being who has been granted these exceptional abilities".[4] While Cole is the main playable character, he is joined by two friends; Zeke, a fellow bike messenger, conspiracy theorist and survivalist who becomes jealous of Cole's powers, and Trish, Cole's ex-girlfriend and medical student who resents him due to her sister being killed in the blast but still helps in treating the injured, a "Lois Lane with syringes" as stated by Sucker Punch.

PlayStation: The Official Magazine describes Cole as "a regular city guy struggling to make ends meet as a courier. Then one day he gets super powers, and his entire world changes in a heartbeat. It's this event that really defines Cole as a person, as he struggles to learn how to control his powers and the responsibility they bring, not understanding the reason he has them or their full potential." The magazine also notes that "you really don't want to be in Empire City after the blast. With no effective law enforcement the streets are a dog eat dog world where at any moment someone might drop the niceties of civilized society and start taking what they want by force. It's a scary and bleak place. Yet, despite all the problems Empire City has endured, thousands of everyday people remain stuck in the city. The place is packed with a weary and scared population in desperate need of relief from the gangs that have imposed their own martial law on the various neighborhoods

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: oselallo
The (very) long awaited game from Sucker Punch is nearly here. I recently checked out a newest build at a Sony preview event.

What It Is
Infamous is an open-world Playstation 3 game geared towards a more adult audience. The premise of the game focuses around the character, Cole McGrath, who is given eclectic super powers after an unexplained explosion occurs in Empire City. This is being developed by Sucker Punch, the same team that brought us all those great Sly Cooper games over the years.

What We Saw
I went hands-on with the second tutorial mission in the game. The other level shown, a prison sequence, was played by a Sony rep. This demo took place at a Sony preview event, not at the New York Comic-Con, and lasted about 30 minutes.

How Far Along Is It?
The demo I saw was a pre-alpha build. The game is scheduled for release in May.

What Needs Improvement?
Good Cop, Bad Cop?: One key element in InFamous is being able to do good or bad deeds throughout the city, ether helping citizens or punching them in the mouth. This changes the type of powers you acquire throughout the game, but how (or if) this affects the overall main storyline is still in question.

Heads Up!: This is a bit nitpicky (actually it's really nitpicky), but I'd like to see a fading HUD (a la Gears of War) for this game. Not because I own a plasma television and am scared of image-retention, but because the game is so expansive looking and pretty, it would be nice to be able to clear the screen of the icons and static graphics when not in combat. It would make an already great looking game pop even more. This is actually something I want out of every game released from now on.

What Should Stay The Same?
Climbing: It's fun and easy to climb! I was told Sucker Punch has two people dedicated to making sure every area of the game that looks climbable, was climbable.

Enemy Design: One mid-sized enemy they showed from the prison featured a man encapsulated in this giant metal body that was made out of junk and being held together by this telepathic energy. You just have to see it. I have high expectations for the look of the enemies in this game.

Graphics: I don't know what it is about this game, but I just like the way it looks. Maybe it's because it was built from the ground up and the team could focus on developing for only one platform? Not just the geometry, but also the style in the textures. Really looks like nothing else out there.

Final Thoughts.
The game is coming around nicely. However, I'm starting to get to the point where I just want to see the whole thing rather than getting these little bite-sized chunks every few months. They said there will be a 2-minute or so install with this game. Also, Sucker Punch just loves demos, so while they wouldn't confirm one, I would get my hopes up if I were you.

Source: Kotaku.com - Infamous Preview

Last edited:
It's already been established that inFamous will arrive sometime this Spring, but when in the Spring? The release date was cleared up a little bit for Blend Games during a special Playstation event on Friday.

A rep for Sucker Punch Productions, developer of the super hero action game, told Blend Games that they're looking at a late Spring release. "Spring doesn't end until June 21st so you can do the math on that," said the rep.

True, it's not a definitive statement of a June release but it gives a rough indication of when this game is expected to hit stores. Could be May but it's probably in their best interests to set the expected release date on the late side rather than the early side so as to prevent annoying fans. Regardless, I imagine many of you didn't know June 21st was the actual beginning of Summer, not Memorial Day. If nothing else, we've helped you study for your next Earth Science test.

Infamous is the new IP being developed by the geniuses at Sucker Punch Production. The studio has a lot to live up to, coming off the highly successful Sly Cooper franchise. The game looks like a mix between Gears of War, Uncharted, Grand Theft Auto and Assassin’s Creed.

I recently had a chance to get a sneak peak at Sucker Punch’s new game, Infamous at the Comic-Con in New York over the weekend. Driving into New York City has always been a struggle, having to deal with crazy drivers and traffic jams. However, upon entering the city I did notice a few interesting billboards that advertised Left 4 Dead. I am curious as to how well video game advertisements on billboards actually work.

One interesting thing I noticed at Comic-Con, was that the convention seems to be shifting more focus towards video games and less on comic books. Although, there was a huge presence with DC Universe and Champions Online, which was a bit more relevant than many of the other video games.

Out of everything, the sneak peak of Infamous is what really burned into my mind. The game really mixes several genres across the board and does it extremely well. It has a dynamic cover system similarly seen in Gears of War and Uncharted. However, unlike these games in Infamous you can pretty much use everything in the environment as cover. For example, the lamp-posts and wall cliffs can all be used as cover.

The game is also similar to Grand Theft Auto in that it is an open world sandbox. Missions will be dolled out to you similarly to GTA and sections of the city will be blocked off until the right time. The game also has some crazy traversal gameplay, more so than Ass-Creed and Uncharted.

Similarly to GTA, gamers will undoubtedly get sucked into messing around with the environment and NPCs in the sandbox world for hours. It was really hard for me to get over how good it looked for a sandbox game. The physics seem spot on as well, compared to GTA’s “foam weight cars.”

Overall, I would say that the game looks solid thus far. The boss battles look fun and interesting as well. I would definitely say Infamous may be one of the more interesting offerings for 2009.

Hey there, World Wide Web-Heads. I’d thought I’d fill you in on what’s been happening on inFamous since my last post. In a word, “mega-creation-frenzy.” People in the studio have been pulling long hours to refine gameplay and polish the art. In other words, the coffee machine never sleeps. Which is great because last weekend in NYC we threw open the door to the press, letting a huge slew of folks get their hands on the game. I can’t wait to hear what people have to say about kicking ass in Empire City with electrical powers.

On top of the three missions we showcased in the Neon District, players will finally have a chance to see some of the dark, broken down streets of the Warren neighborhood. It’s a dangerous place ruled by the Dustmen gang. This squad of one-time homeless men now rule through the use of strong telekinetic powers. Clothed in bits of trash, they’re nearly invisible when hiding in the tangled alleys of the Warren. Strong in fight, their ranks are backed by huge superpowered comrades. Men outfitted in giant suits of torn metal and concrete, they crush police beneath their feet.

inFamous - Sucker Punch inFamous - Sucker Punch

This past weekend players had a chance to fight these goliaths while defending the Empire City jail from the Dustmen siege. Walls will be smashed in, guard towers toppled and many thugs will get a lightening bolt to the face.

inFamous - Sucker Punch

To help our hero Cole protect the jail, we’ve rolled out one of his new powers called Precision. Precision allows Cole to slow down time and zoom in on enemies. Perfect for hitting unsuspecting enemies at a distance. We’ll also be outfitting Cole with some upgrades to his superpowers. That’s right, as players go through the game their superpowers will continue to grow in strength taking their combat strategies in new directions.

inFamous - Sucker Punch

You can tell it was an exciting weekend in New York. Keep your ear to the ground for more inFamous news coming soon.

Here's the video.

Source : Playstation Blog

Last edited:
We know many of you have been wondering when urban hero Cole McGrath and his electrifying arsenal of superpowers is coming to a town near you. Well, we want to share with you today that inFamous will be launching worldwide this June, and here’s a first look at the front-of-box for the title:

3333869162_e2ee74fca3.jpg

Another question many of you have been asking is: will there be a demo? And, the answer is yes. We’ll have more details on when and how the demo will be available shortly. Stay tuned for a new trailer next week as well of loads of other inFamous goodies from the Sucker Punch crew this month…

From the creators of Sly Cooper comes a game that everyone's got their eye on. You know, that game that was infamous for never having a release date? Well heres some news on it, and what's to be expected!

To be released in June '09, inFAMOUS has sparked some curiosity in the general gaming public. Some people are skeptical about it, others are excited. What side will you take? You can make your decision after reading though this info. I for one have marked June on my calendar, mainly because it's so easy to find.

So here's the scoop. Have you ever wanted to know what your life would be like if you suddenly developed super powers? Would you exact revenge on all of those who opposed you? Would you defend the innocent? inFAMOUS lets you live that experience as you explore a sandbox environment full of people who's lives you can effect with the press of a button.

You play as Cole, a bike messenger in Empire City. Suddenly there is an explosion, demolishing blocks and blocks of the city, with Cole being the sole survivor. The city falls under quarantine, with the local enforcements deteriorating and organized crime on the rise. Cole is linked to the explosion by the media and is suddenly changed from a regular bike messenger to a convicted criminal. However, with his newly found powers on his side he is invincible, and able to elude all forms of capture. These mysterious powers dumbfound Cole, as he tries to figure out how he managed to get them, and why.

Oh, and did I mention you had to save the city from its self inflicted state of anarchy?

It sounds to me that there is a lot going on in this game, a lot to do, a lot to learn, and a lot to follow. I like it.

Some of the games features are said to include:

-The ability to learn electricity based powers

-The choice to be good or evil, based on your choices throughout the game

-A sandbox style environment with limitless exploration and opportunities

And the most exciting sounding feature

-Organic City Ecology, which allows the citizens of Empire City to react and evolve depending on your actions throughout the game

Throughout inFAMOUS, your actions will change the course of the game by effecting the setting, the people, the plot, etc.

yes, this game is slowly building some good hype. the demo is a plus for me. will probably be the deciding factor in whether or not i buy this or rent it.

The Playstation 3 is currently on a hot streak with several critically-acclaimed exclusive games hitting the high-definition system one after another. Set for a summer release, Infamous is the next big Playstation 3 exclusive title on the horizon.

However, this Playstation 3 exclusive isn't getting the same amount of hype as Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and Resistance 2. Here are a few reasons why
Playstation 3 gamers shouldn't overlook Infamous.

Sucker Punch Productions

Infamous is being developed by the underrated Sucker Punch Productions. These are the same people who are responsible for the overlooked Rocket: Robot on Wheels for the Nintendo 64 and the popular Sly Cooper series on the Playstation 2.

Infamous will be Sucker Punch Productions' first attempt on the Playstation 3. It is also their first mature-theme video game. If you missed their games the first and second time around, Infamous will be the prefect introduction to Sucker Punch Productions.

Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios

Sucker Punch Productions isn't developing Infamous by themselves. They are part of the Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. Sony recently assembled all their first and second-party into a group setting in order to share development technology on the Playstation 3. The results have been stellar so far with several Playstation 3 exclusive games getting critically-acclaimed. Infamous will be the next game in the pipeline.

New Intellectual Property

Many of today's video games are sequels. These types of titles can start to get stale even for the most hardcore gamers. Infamous is an original intellectual property for Sony and the Playstation 3, which already have several popular new franchises this generation with LittleBigPlanet, Resistance and Uncharted. Therefore, prospective buyers can expect a completely new experience from Infamous.

Summer Drought
The summer season is traditionally a dry period for video game releases. You hardly see any big games come out during this period. Last year proved to be an extremely successful one for the Playstation 3, however, with the release of the much anticipated Metal
Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Releasing this June, Infamous should be able to fill in the big hole for a summer blockbuster title on the Playstation 3.

Open World Genre

First-party Sony games have pretty much all of the gaming genres covered: action (God of War III), FPS (Killzone 2), platforming (LittleBigPlanet) and RPG (White Knight Chronicles). The only thing still missing is an open-world sandbox title. Made famous by the Grand Theft Auto series, these types of games give you the freedom to wreak havoc around a big city. This is exactly what Infamous is and also what Sony and the Playstation 3 exactly needs.

Out of all the PlayStation 3-exclusive games coming out this year, inFamous is shaping up to be one of my most anticipated.

While we're still months away from the game's launch in June, GameStop is already letting us know that you aren't going to be pre-ordering elsewhere if you want to have all of Cole McGrath's powers.

Reserve inFamous and receive a code that unlocks the GameStop exclusive Gigawatt Blades Power. With electric blades extending from his wrists, a single blow annihilates any foe and transforms Cole's hands into instruments of sheer destruction. Yet still gentle enough to allow for the occasional tickling.

I fail to understand why you would tickle people who want you dead, but if the ability to do so doesn't appear in the full game, I'm going to be disappointed, and then angry at you, GameStop. I don't normally have a problem with in-game bonuses for reserving a game, since they're usually just silly/stupid costumes, but this is kind of annoying.

Source: Destructoid.com - Reserving Infamous

Last edited:
Many of you may be wondering when we plan to announce the release date for inFamous. Well today, we have a little surprise for you….the release month is no longer June. Now wait, I know what you’re thinking…inFamous is NOT delayed, in fact, the guys up at Sucker Punch have been working so hard that the game will be releasing in the U.S. on May 26!

Now with just a little over a month until the game hits shelves, inFamous pre-order goodness begins today. Those who pre-order the game at participating retailers will have a chance to get one of the following:

* An exclusive ‘Gigawatt Blades’ Super Power: The Gigawatt Blades supercharges Cole’s arm into an instrument of destruction unmatched by any other melee weapon in game. Although very powerful, you’ll still have to use this weapon wisely, as it takes a considerable drain on your powers.

3427322468_bf57dd34ef.jpg

* Limited-edition inFamous costume for Home Avatar - Look like one of the REAPER gang members.

3426513491_cee6217fc5.jpg

* Early access to the official Game Demo. Be one of the first to play inFamous on May 7th.

And, yes, the inFamous demo will be made available to everyone on the PlayStation Network on May 21. We’ve got a lot more surprises on the way the next few weeks, so stay tuned…..

Source: Playstation Blog