Inglourious Basterds (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

EvilThing

I'd buy that for a dollar...
Premium Supporter
Feb 18, 2016
Manchester, UK
Release date: October 18, 2021 (Edition 1) - November 15, 2021 (Edition 2 - Complete Edition)
Purchase links: Collectors Edition #1 - Collectors Edition #2 - Complete Basterds Edition
Price: £39.99 (Edition 1 - Edition 2) - £89.99 (Complete Edition)
Notes: Each edition is individually numbered & limited to only 1000

ib_1.jpg
ib_2.jpg
ib_3.jpg

Collectors Edition #1
  • Metallic finish Rigid Slipcase
  • Steelbook
  • 36-Page Photo booklet
  • 4 x Art Cards housed in Envelope
  • 8 x Character Cards

Collectors Edition #2
  • Metallic finish Rigid Slipcase
  • Engraved Rifle (deboss) Steelbook
  • 36-Page Behind-the-scenes booklet
  • 4 x Art Cards housed in Envelope
  • 8 x Playing Cards

Complete Basterds Edition
  • Rigid Jacket Slipcase with Foil Stamped Title & Magnet Close
  • Full-Colour Inner Jacket Wrap & Hidden Drawer to house elements exclusive to Complete Basterds Edition:
    • Individually Numbered (embossed) Card XXXX / 1000
    • Acetate Collector’s Card
    • Cast Poster
  • Collector’s Edition #1 & #2, as above, including
    • 36-Page Photo booklet
    • 36-Page Behind-the-scenes booklet
    • 8 x Art Cards housed in x2 Envelope
    • 8 x Character Cards
    • 8 x Playing Cards

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a copy of each of these that were pre-ordered for someone who no longer requires them, drop me a PM if you're after one :thumbs:

1 x Edition 1
1 x Edition 2
1 x Complete Edition

The same price as the pre-order, you'd just have to pay for the postage to you.

Just to add Id ideally like these to go to someone who actually wants them, not just to bung them on ebay :thumbs:

Last edited:
I've got a copy of each of these that were pre-ordered for someone who no longer requires them, drop me a PM if you're after one :thumbs:

1 x Edition 1
1 x Edition 2
1 x Complete Edition

Just to add Id ideally like these to go to someone who actually wants them, not just to bung them on ebay :thumbs:
Sending PM.

1 x Edition 1
1 x Edition 2
1 x Complete Edition

Bugger been checking each day for these, i missed the pre orders of these due to work etc.
I really wanted the box set and hoping it becomes available again.

Reactions: Robles
Oh, man, I just 'found out' I've bought another edition of this couple of years ago:
71iizkEv5GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It was just $11.99, has the same stuff as the first edition here, plus the playing cards. Got a couple of steelbooks as well. The booklet from the second edition would be good, but all I need is a UHD disc, and seeing how I'm less than excited for HDR, I can skip for now. Will cancel the HMV preorder as well.

Bugger been checking each day for these, i missed the pre orders of these due to work etc.
I really wanted the box set and hoping it becomes available again.
I still have Edition 1 if that's any good to you mate?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have some bad news about Inglourious basterds 4k.

Apparently it has been made using the old 2k digital intermediate, not a 4k rescan and of the 2 reviews so far I have pretty contrary reviews. One stating it as being something to avoid and the other saying it is really good. I am disappointed with the lack of a new scan though.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have some bad news about Inglourious basterds 4k.

Apparently it has been made using the old 2k digital intermediate, not a 4k rescan and of the 2 reviews so far I have pretty contrary reviews. One stating it as being something to avoid and the other saying it is really good. I am disappointed with the lack of a new scan though.

highdefdigest reviews the 4K

Reactions: karl01
I don't know why you expected a new scan of a relatively new film that already has a preexisting 2K DI master...

Taking the existing master is pretty much the default, unless its really old, doesn't have a DI or it's some kind of anniversary edition or special restoration. So the exception, not the rule.

None of which were hinted at when this was announced. It's just your typical run of the mill 2K upscale. Nothing special, but that doesn't mean it's going to be awful either. There are many great 2K upscales out there. I expect this'll be serviceable.

Reactions: zoltan_g
Kind of ridiculous the amount of releases that is upscaled.
Imagine DVD upscales on Blu-ray, or VHS upscales on DVD (better colors, no rewinding...) I say that's bullshit, no wonder people en masse aren't buying it. Half of those that do buy, can't see the difference, or their equipment sucks, or their TV, or its settings... or they're just blind enough to have reached a personal limit, and shouldn't bother further, than BD.
There's only one positive, we don't have to rebuy everything, like with DVD, and sometimes there's a really quality release, especially for older films, however strange that might seem to the uninitiated.

Animated GIF
turning around gary oldman GIF

Last edited:
Most upscaled 4K releases can win on bitrate and HDR levels indeed, but most BDs from the past 12-15 years have great transfers anyway. 4K is a huge opportunity if the BD was released at the infancy of the format (typically with MPEG-2 encode), or any movie that was shot on film and has no 2K DI as mentioned by samdavies.

I don't know why you expected a new scan of a relatively new film that already has a preexisting 2K DI master...

Taking the existing master is pretty much the default, unless its really old, doesn't have a DI or it's some kind of anniversary edition or special restoration. So the exception, not the rule.

None of which were hinted at when this was announced. It's just your typical run of the mill 2K upscale. Nothing special, but that doesn't mean it's going to be awful either. There are many great 2K upscales out there. I expect this'll be serviceable.
I mean the movie is 12 years old now. Assuming there has not been a new DI created since its initial release, I absolutely thought that would be far enough back to justify a new DI.

Granted when I saw the review this morning the first thing I did was check my other favourite sites for 4k reviews and at that time they hadn't put anything up. Now I am absolutely not one to trust only one source especially on something that can be as subjective as this, but films at home really really seemed to hate the 4k transfer.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
I've been disappointed since this was first announced by Universal that this is just an upscale. The increase in resolution and particularly HDR can still make for nice upgrades in such cases, but to me it also defies the point of the format, especially with movies shot on film. It's just not the same experience. I felt similarly deflated after reading that several upcoming Kino Lorber 4k titles are going to be 2k upscales, because that's what they get from the licencing agreements. But again, especially with those boutique labels, what's the point - either make an effort to restore those films properly, or just leave them alone so someone else can at some point.

As for Basterds, Arrow Video was supposed to release this one a little while ago, I think last year. Makes you wonder if they are sitting on a proper 4k restoration, or if we would have gotten something from the same source. Apparently there are quite a few digital effect shots in this film, like digitally added blood, which may not go well together with a new scan of the camera negatives, or just made the creation of a new DI too difficult and costly.

So my hopes weren't particularly high for this one to begin with, hopefully it'll at least beat the BD...

A lot of modern films only exist in 2k as that is the format they were made on due to the likes of special effects. Standard practice. I think one of the recent Bond films was totally shot on 2k digital and to date the only Bond film not done on film. So the likes of Ben Hur and the Ten Commandments are always going to win hands down on 4k due to the source material being 100% film which can be scanned at any resolution you want...