Ingmar Bergman: Volume 1 (Blu-ray Box Set) (BFI Films) [UK]

May 21, 2020
Release date: July 26, 2021
Purchase links: BFI - Amazon UK - HMV - Zavvi
Price: £54.99

ingmarbergman_vol01_bd_3d_01.1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah was about to say, I already got the Criterion box set so I think I am good unless this one has a cool design I might pick it up.
i have the Criterion too. What I fear, is that I might have to pick up one or two of these editions.
The announcement says something to the effect of "includes Bergman films that have not yet been released on Blu ray".
Now, that could mean *not yet released on blu ray in the UK.*
We shall see.

Reactions: Billy Talent
i have the Criterion too. What I fear, is that I might have to pick up one or two of these editions.
The announcement says something to the effect of "includes Bergman films that have not yet been released on Blu ray".
Now, that could mean *not yet released on blu ray in the UK.*
We shall see.

I think this boxset will have 3 films directed by Bergman that weren't inclued in the big Criterion boxset at all, (as well as 2 films that were scripted by him), so I'd lean towards possibly not released anywhere on blu ray before. I couldn't find them on bluray.com anyway.

I think this boxset will have 3 films directed by Bergman that weren't inclued in the big Criterion boxset at all, (as well as 2 films that were scripted by him), so I'd lean towards possibly not released anywhere on blu ray before. I couldn't find them on bluray.com anyway.
If it's just one or two - I'd probably hold out for the ineveitble(?) solo blu rays

Reactions: Kinggoose
Details:

For over 50 years, Ingmar Bergman produced ground-breaking works of cinema that established him as one of the world’s most acclaimed, enduring and influential filmmakers.
Ingmar Bergman: Volume 1 marks the first of a four volume celebration of the auteur’s work - available on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK - and reflects on the opening stages of Bergman’s career.

Presented over five discs, the set features 2K restorations of eight early films written or directed by Bergman. Including initial partnerships with regular collaborators (such as cinematographer Gunnar Fischer and actor Birger Malmsten), these early works exhibit his burgeoning talents, introducing themes and tones that he would continue to develop over the next five decades.

The films:
  • Torment (Dir. Alf Sjöberg | Scr. Ingmar Bergman, 1944)
  • Crisis (1946)
  • Eva (Dir. Gustaf Molander | Scr. Ingmar Bergman, 1948
  • Music in Darkness (1948)
  • Port of Call (1948)
  • Prison (1949)
  • Thirst(1949)
  • To Joy (1950)
Extras:
  • 5-Blu-ray set featuring 2K restorations of all 8 films
  • Ingmar Bergman: First Cries, Early Whispers (2021, 20 mins): a new video essay by writer, filmmaker and film journalist Leigh Singer
  • Perfect-bound book featuring new essays by Jan Holmberg (CEO of the Ingmar Bergman Foundation), Philip Kemp, Geoff Andrew, Jessica Kiang, Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, Kat Ellinger, and Laura Hubner
  • Limited edition (5,000 units)
  • Newly commissioned artwork by Andrew Bannister

Please note that due to international rights issues, this release is only available to customers in the UK (and related territories) and Ireland.