Premium Supporter
Oct 24, 2011
Van-City, BC
Release date: December 19, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon
Price: $27.35

23316676_10155279034004227_1980450007279104134_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one was 2nd to Oppenheimer which was literaly impossible to get after the start of BF sales on Amazon.com.
Had BD for some time but went after UHD and had to literaly watch 2 straight days and after few tries where i had it in basket but unable to do checkout, i finally managed to snag one Sunday afternoon :D along almost 30 movies... Got JW 4 for 13$ and few others :D.
Literaly was sold out and still is now... Like Oppenheimer.

3 Camels alerts me every so often in the middle of the night that this drops to like $8 but by the time I wake up it's back up to it's normal price, I sure wish I could catch it when it drops that low, it'd be a steal of a deal. :D

I ditched my 4K, the blu ray had deeper blacks compared to the ‘grey’ space of the 4K disc (on an OLED screen).

I ditched my 4K, the blu ray had deeper blacks compared to the ‘grey’ space of the 4K disc (on an OLED screen).
I ditched from a regular LED to an OLED and buy nothing but 4K because the blacks on the OLED are deeper and 4K is a better picture than standard 1080p which is quite the opposite of your experience. Perhaps you should have someone look at your OLED, it may not be working correctly.

Reactions: TheWildEye
My OLEDs (plural) are fine. I buy 4K that is worth the upgrade. I have sold several 4K discs that I consider to be of poorer overall quality than the upscaled blu ray. You should compare Interstellar 4K and blu ray side by side.

I can understand a comment like ‘I buy nothing but 4k’ if you’re just starting out, but if you have hundreds of blu rays then a 4K disc has to prove itself. So when I watch a 4K disc and think ‘something’s not right here’ I look for answers. If you have the 4K and like it, good for you. For me, the upscaled blu ray is sometimes preferable, as the 4K has a green tint I dislike, and the space scenes were disappointing. There’s discussion on the internet about it.

I remember (no pun intended) Total Recall had some people complaining, others raving, depending on whether they had Dolby vision.

I’ve seen some old movies on 4K where the film grain is so pronounced I find it distracting. It may be technically superior to the blu ray, but the upscaled blu ray, on valance, for me, offers most of the benefits with few of the downsides.

There are many really good 4K discs. And for new releases, like Maverick, I have only watched the 4K disc. That’s now my ‘reference’, and I would have to look at the blu ray to see if the 4K is much better.

My OLEDs (plural) are fine. I buy 4K that is worth the upgrade. I have sold several 4K discs that I consider to be of poorer overall quality than the upscaled blu ray. You should compare Interstellar 4K and blu ray side by side.

I can understand a comment like ‘I buy nothing but 4k’ if you’re just starting out, but if you have hundreds of blu rays then a 4K disc has to prove itself. So when I watch a 4K disc and think ‘something’s not right here’ I look for answers. If you have the 4K and like it, good for you. For me, the upscaled blu ray is sometimes preferable, as the 4K has a green tint I dislike, and the space scenes were disappointing. There’s discussion on the internet about it.

I remember (no pun intended) Total Recall had some people complaining, others raving, depending on whether they had Dolby vision.

I’ve seen some old movies on 4K where the film grain is so pronounced I find it distracting. It may be technically superior to the blu ray, but the upscaled blu ray, on valance, for me, offers most of the benefits with few of the downsides.

There are many really good 4K discs. And for new releases, like Maverick, I have only watched the 4K disc. That’s now my ‘reference’, and I would have to look at the blu ray to see if the 4K is much better.
You may be right but I'm still gonna buy this and enjoy it. I did find this about the differences and a side by side comparison though.

I’m not preventing you from buying it. It was not my intention to suggest you don’t buy it. I wasn’t suggesting you won’t enjoy it. I simply said I sold my 4K disc of Interstellar because I wasn’t impressed with the picture quality.

From there we had off topic generalisations. I agree, OLED gives excellent blacks. I do not agree that 4K ‘automatically’ offers a better picture. Technically, yes, 4K specifications are better. Although in practice mostly not as much as people think, as many so called 4K discs are upscaled from lower resolution (usually 2k). You are also at the mercy of the people authoring the disc and the assets they’re given.

One example, drifting further off topic, apologies, is Oblivion. Shot in 4K (and 5k), with a 2k digital intermediate, then upscaled to 4K…and some people and reviews have said ‘There have been complaints amongst some quarters that the UHD Blu-ray isn't as detailed as the regular Blu-ray and to a certain extent this is true.’

Oh and don’t get me started on the (small) number of 4K discs where they’ve messed up the movie. I bought 12 Monkeys on preorder, and that needed a reissue (I was impressed though that it was sent automatically). The Thing (1982) has some odd audio, sound effect omissions. Complaints about DNR on Terminator 2. There are enough poor 4K discs that I tend to be quite wary about buying them, especially of movies I already own.

Lots of people think the 4K of Interstellar is great though, so I’m obviously in the minority.