Retailer News Introducing the New Walmart.com

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
By Marc Lore, President and CEO of Walmart U.S. eCommerce:

Every single day, busy families trust us to make shopping faster and easier for them in stores and online. Today, we’re unveiling a first look at the new Walmart.com that does just that, while also creating a cleaner and more modern digital shopping experience. It is a dramatic step change for us.

The new Walmart.com will start rolling out to customers in the beginning of May. I know I’m biased, but I think it looks amazing. Here are some of the changes I’m most excited about:

• First and foremost, we’re introducing an entirely new look and feel. To bring a more human element to the site, we’re featuring relatable photography that showcases real-life moments. Beauty and design extend across all items. Our goal is to make it compelling for customers to shop for whatever they are looking for – whether diapers, laundry detergent or a new dining room table. We’re also expanding our color palette and adding fonts to bring more vibrancy and depth to the site.
  • The redesign is about more than form, it’s also about function. One of the changes we’re making is adding more local and personalized elements, something that we're especially well-positioned to do in light of our more than 4,700 stores across the country. In fact, the majority of the homepage will be personalized in some way. We’re introducing a new section that showcases top-selling items in a customer’s location (did you know that air mattresses recently trended in Dallas?). This area of the site will also feature a customer’s local store profile, including availability of services such as Online Grocery, order status, and Easy Reorder, which lets customers easily repurchase the items they buy most frequently in stores and online.
  • We are beginning to introduce specialty shopping experiences. We know customers shop differently depending on what they are purchasing. Customers shopping for groceries and household essentials want to quickly re-buy what they always purchase, while those looking for a new couch want to be inspired while browsing the different options. We’ve already launched a home specialty experience and, over the coming weeks, we will begin to introduce our new destination for fashion, which will feature relevant, bold imagery and seasonal stories. The Lord & Taylor flagship store we announced late last year will be a part of this new fashion destination. We want each category to feel like you are shopping a specialty store and we plan to build out these specialty experiences for other categories starting later this year.
While the site will look different, our commitment to offering low prices online remains as strong as ever. As part of our everyday commitment to save customers money and time, we offer free, two-day shipping, without a membership fee, and convenient services like free Pickup in stores.

The customer is at the core of everything we do, so it won’t surprise you to hear that our customers helped us make these changes – but they weren’t the only ones. We also considered feedback from current and prospective brands as we look to continue building our assortment. With these changes, brands will have opportunities to better tell their stories on Walmart.com, including new approaches to advertising within seamlessly integrated ads.

Introducing the new Walmart.com is an important step as we continue to build the customer shopping experience. Today’s announcement is just the beginning. There’s more to come.