iPhone 7 Thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Are you upgrading?

iphone.jpg

Reactions: dan8885
I think I'm gonna go with the Galaxy s7 edge. Just so unsure with the new headphone stuff. Would probably be different if I had wireless headphones already and was used to it. Just seems like too big a jump for me. Don't want to carry around the adapter for the Lightning port everywhere with me. And considering the charging port is a common offender for phones breaking, plugging stuff in there twice as much (for headphones and for charging) just seems like a bad idea. Plus I'll lose like a million of those adapters knowing me. And I'm sure they're $20 a pop.

I think I'm gonna make the jump and test it out. I get two weeks.

• Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
I just noticed that Apple wrote under the "jet black" option a warning:

Screen_Shot_2016-09-07_at_4.18.55_PM.0.png

I never use cases on my phones. And I never will.

Good comparison between the blacks at 01:58. Hello fingerprints. Hello scratches. No jet black for me. It looks nice when you don't touch it. But that's not practical.
I don't want a case and I don't want to take a cloth with me to keep it clean. It looks disgusting with all the finger prints.

I ordered now a iPhone 7 black with 128 GB. Excited :woot::woot::woot:

Last edited:
I preordered the jet black 128gb iPhone Plus and also ordered a clear case for it.

X-Doria Clear Case for iPhone 7 (ClearVue) TPU and Polycarbonate Protective Shell - Protective iPhone 7 Case, Clear At Amazon.

This case will show off that awesome jet black and still protect it. :D

• Thanks
I preordered the jet black 128gb iPhone Plus and also ordered a clear case for it.

X-Doria Clear Case for iPhone 7 (ClearVue) TPU and Polycarbonate Protective Shell - Protective iPhone 7 Case, Clear At Amazon.

This case will show off that awesome jet black and still protect it. :D

I don't know if it's the same material I got but mine went yellowish very fast. Couldn't get it clean.
Bought this because of the camera of the iPhone 6 and with the same intention you got, to keep the Design alive. Never again.

Edit: Searched my e-Mails, I bought this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JH882JW/?tag=hidefnin-20

Seems like the same material, TPU

Last edited:
I'm really interested in testing out the Depth of Field setting on the new camera. I think it's neat about the DoF can show in real-time and not just in a finished photo. My DSLR can't even do that.

I also have home automation appliances throughout my house and the new iOS 10 has a native app now that can tap into those devices and control them from anywhere. I hate coming home to a completely dark house.

It's confusing online, the headphone jack is gone, do you still get headphones with the phone? What are the £120 pair?

It's confusing online, the headphone jack is gone, do you still get headphones with the phone? What are the pair?
The new earbuds that come with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus don't use a phono jack plug anymore. Instead they plug in on the Lightning port.
iphone-7-headphones.jpg

The $160 is for the Air Buds that come out in October, completely wireless.
apple-airpods-open_01.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Flash
Ah I see thanks for that, it's an odd choice why did they do that, make it plug in there?

Ah I see thanks for that, it's an odd choice why did they do that, make it plug in there?

Here's the answer :hilarious:

I think they did it firstly because the 7s or iPhone 8 will come with wireless charging. So you don't need any cable stuff anymore for the phone.

The $160 is for the Air Buds that come out in October, completely wireless.
apple-airpods-open_01.jpg

Air_bud_poster.jpg

I can't use those AirPods. I would definitely loose one already in the first week :LOL:

I'll use the EarPods who are coming with the phone. It's enough to listen to music when I'm on the train. If I want to enjoy music at it's best I listen analog to my Vinyl at home :rolleyes:

The delivery for my iPhone 7 is confirmed for release day next Friday, I'm super excited :rolleyes::woot::joy::watch:

Here's the answer :hilarious:

I think they did it firstly because the 7s or iPhone 8 will come with wireless charging. So you don't need any cable stuff anymore for the phone.

Air_bud_poster.jpg

I can't use those AirPods. I would definitely loose one already in the first week :LOL:

I'll use the EarPods who are coming with the phone. It's enough to listen to music when I'm on the train. If I want to enjoy music at it's best I listen analog to my Vinyl at home :rolleyes:

The delivery for my iPhone 7 is confirmed for release day next Friday, I'm super excited :rolleyes::woot::joy::watch:

Lucky! Mine won't get delivered until November 9th. I guess it's back ordered.

• Thanks
When they announced the omission of the 3.5mm headphone jack I was a little thrilled that Apple switched to plug in it's ear pods via the Lightning port. The first thing came to mind though, how would you charge and listen to music at the same time since there is only one Lightning port? Apple addressed partly to a solution. Here's the story...

9to5 Mac
Apple’s answer to charging iPhone 7 while listening to wired headphones: the Lightning Dock

apple-iphone7-jetblk-airpod.jpg MNN62.jpg MNN62_AV5.jpg

Apple deprecated what it called “ancient” technology yesterday, with the iPhone 7 lacking a 3.5mm headphone jack. The company is encouraging Bluetooth wireless headphones for audio playback (heralding its new AirPods) or using wired headphones via Lightning. However, with just one port, people who want to listen to music and charge their iPhone 7 at the same time are left with a conundrum.

Apple’s answer to this problem appears to be the $39-49 Lightning Dock which adds a 3.5mm headphone jack when docked.

This messaging appears to be the Apple solution, thanks to an email conversation sent to us by a reader. Zaheen Hafzer says he asked Phil Schiller about how to charge the iPhone 7 and listen to music at the same time. Schiller said whilst he prefers using the AirPods for the additional wireless flexibility, the Lightning Dock is the solution for wired headphones.

Here’s what Schiller said according to Zaheen:

Hi Zaheen,

I like to listen on my AirPods while my iPhone 7 Plus is charging because I am free to move around.
However, if you would like to listen to wired headphones while charging an iPhone 7 it is possible to do that as well.
The Apple Lightning Dock includes a headphone jack for using wired headphones or speakers while charging.
I hope that helps.

It’s true that this is a possible option but it still isn’t ideal, costing both more money atop the price of the phone and its unwieldy size. The coaster-sized dock is not really meant to be a portable product. It is best used as a stationary dock at home, although this is most likely when your iPhone needs charging.

The Lightning Dock also ties you to the 3.5mm ecosystem which is a bit inconvenient as the same audio output will not work with the iPhone itself. It does not let you use the Lightning EarPod headphones that come in the iPhone 7 box while charging. It seems like the best solution for maximum convenience is to adopt Bluetooth headphones as they will work across iPhone 7, iPads, Macs, Apple TV and pretty much any other device. Naturally, Apple will want to sell you its $159 AirPods but any pair of Bluetooth headphones will suffice.

What do you think? Is the Lightning Dock a good solution to the problem of charging and listening on the iPhone 7?

This only answers part of my question though. If I was traveling say on a road trip and I needed to plug in my iPhone 7 Plus to charge but I still wanted to listen to music with my ear pods? Toting around a base station just so I could doesn't seem too feasible. I wonder what Apple's going to do about it?

Lucky! Mine won't get delivered until November 9th. I guess it's back ordered.

I'll get mine on release day because I ordered early in the morning with my provider even before the official launch at Apple. And I didn't choose the probably most sought after jet black.

When they announced the omission of the 3.5mm headphone jack I was a little thrilled that Apple switched to plug in it's ear pods via the Lightning port. The first thing came to mind though, how would you charge and listen to music at the same time since there is only one Lightning port? Apple addressed partly to a solution. Here's the story...

9to5 Mac
Apple’s answer to charging iPhone 7 while listening to wired headphones: the Lightning Dock

View attachment 263944 View attachment 263945 View attachment 263946

Apple deprecated what it called “ancient” technology yesterday, with the iPhone 7 lacking a 3.5mm headphone jack. The company is encouraging Bluetooth wireless headphones for audio playback (heralding its new AirPods) or using wired headphones via Lightning. However, with just one port, people who want to listen to music and charge their iPhone 7 at the same time are left with a conundrum.

Apple’s answer to this problem appears to be the $39-49 Lightning Dock which adds a 3.5mm headphone jack when docked.

This messaging appears to be the Apple solution, thanks to an email conversation sent to us by a reader. Zaheen Hafzer says he asked Phil Schiller about how to charge the iPhone 7 and listen to music at the same time. Schiller said whilst he prefers using the AirPods for the additional wireless flexibility, the Lightning Dock is the solution for wired headphones.

Here’s what Schiller said according to Zaheen:

It’s true that this is a possible option but it still isn’t ideal, costing both more money atop the price of the phone and its unwieldy size. The coaster-sized dock is not really meant to be a portable product. It is best used as a stationary dock at home, although this is most likely when your iPhone needs charging.

The Lightning Dock also ties you to the 3.5mm ecosystem which is a bit inconvenient as the same audio output will not work with the iPhone itself. It does not let you use the Lightning EarPod headphones that come in the iPhone 7 box while charging. It seems like the best solution for maximum convenience is to adopt Bluetooth headphones as they will work across iPhone 7, iPads, Macs, Apple TV and pretty much any other device. Naturally, Apple will want to sell you its $159 AirPods but any pair of Bluetooth headphones will suffice.

What do you think? Is the Lightning Dock a good solution to the problem of charging and listening on the iPhone 7?

This only answers part of my question though. If I was traveling say on a road trip and I needed to plug in my iPhone 7 Plus to charge but I still wanted to listen to music with my ear pods? Toting around a base station just so I could doesn't seem too feasible. I wonder what Apple's going to do about it?

I can see the idea behind going away from the 3,5 headphone jack. They'll go completely away from tethered equipment with iPhone 7s or 8 with wireless charging.
And of course they get more room for battery and other hardware features.

But Apple is also the reference in design. Functional design. Forcing people now to a lot of connectors and equipment kills the design and easy function. When you need one or even two connectors at your iPhone to just listen to music the way you want is not practical.

The answer MacUser quoted from Apple is just awkward. Nobody will carry the Dock around. And the Dock force you to hold the phone in a special position when you watch a video or listen to music.
It seems like they didn't cared. The iPhone is a expensive One Year Product. Just in 12 months theres a new one. Maybe with wireless charging. And then there will be again new problems. How you will charge your phone wireless in a car or on a train? Again, you'll need connectors or again other equipment....

For me personal all this doesn't matter. I never watch anything on my phone. I just listen to music when I'm on my way on train or by foot. So it's not more than a hour one way. If I need to charge I'll do this in between with a portable charger. But I totally understand the frustration of people who are now struggle with a solution to this cause.

What I didn't expect was that Apple would include the 3,5 - lighting connector with the iPhone. That's at least positive. I thought you'll need to buy this extra for 30 EUR something.

And the AirPods are very ugly to me and not practical in a every day use. How many people will loose very fast at least one of the AirPods when they're on their way in a busy city or crowded train in the morning to work. But here you have at least a choice of the hundreds of bluetooth headphones who are already available ..

• Thanks
Reactions: Lone Crusader
Did anyone see the Jet Black finish in person? I'm struggling between Jet Black and ''mat'' Black. But i'm afraid of micro scratches cause i never use a case, protector or tempered glass protectors on my phones.

Went for the matte black version but only 32Gb in the end. I kept swapping between that and the 128Gb but I'm not even up to half storage on my 64 Gb SE so figured I'd get the smaller option.
Delivery on Friday hopefully :)

• Thanks
Did anyone see the Jet Black finish in person? I'm struggling between Jet Black and ''mat'' Black. But i'm afraid of micro scratches cause i never use a case, protector or tempered glass protectors on my phones.

I made my decision after this video. From 01:58 you can see both. I went for the mat black.

Went for the matte black version but only 32Gb in the end. I kept swapping between that and the 128Gb but I'm not even up to half storage on my 64 Gb SE so figured I'd get the smaller option.
Delivery on Friday hopefully :)

Congrats mate :thumbs: Great choice!

And due to "unprecedented" demand mine has been delayed :(
Marketing ploy in my opinion given that this seems to happen with every release.

Found out from my cell provider that I'll get my phone "within 21 days".

Last edited: