iPhone Megathread (Includes iPhone 4 and iOS4)

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
This one needs very little explication indeed. Netflix has just officially confirmed that its currently iPad-only app will be trickling down to the smaller iPhone OS devices. It's all very teasing and noncommittal as far as the timeframe goes, but who's not excited about getting the "dessert" to the iPad's main course?

Cool!

apple-wwdc-2010-120-rm-eng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Opera Mini for iPhone approved, will be available for free

Our man Thomas Ricker was just wondering how long it would take before Apple determined the fate of Opera Mini for iPhone, and we've got some good news -- it's been approved and will be available for free on the App Store within 24 hours! Can't say we were expecting that, since non-Safari-based browsers have typically been verboten from Apple's little kingdom, but we're certainly happy to be surprised. We'll do up a full hands-on when we see it in the store, but for now check the demo video after the break.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/12/opera-mini-for-iphone-approved-will-be-available-for-free/

Damn took Apple this long to open up to a new web browser.

The new iphone has been seen since the ipad was leaked... The prototype iphones use a case to make them look like 3gs phones.

Marusys MS630S and MS850S set-top boxes stream straight to your iPhone

If you didn't already have enough ways to get content onto your iPhone, Marusys is adding two more to the pile with its MS630S and MS850S set-top boxes. Said to be PVR-ready, these boxes are designed to serve up content in all sorts of ways, with composite, component, and HDMI video outputs on the back and, inside, the ability to run Linux-based media players like XBMC. Both rock a Magnum DX6225 media chip, enabling on-the-fly transcoding of content into a variety of formats, including the hallmark feature of these devices: streaming straight to the iPhone over WiFi. It's not exactly clear how this will work as Marusys itself doesn't explain this functionality on its site, but Magnum certainly talks it up in the press release after the break. No word on price and availability of either, or when we might get more info on how this whole thing fits together, but you can be sure you'll know as soon as we do.

Source: Engadget HD

Not bad ;)

I'm glad I skipped the 3GS, well was forced to because of the STUPID ASS upgrade policy they had in place that was going to cost me an additional $200 or so... I'll definitely get this one day 1. My 3G is getting a bit worn.

The new iphone has been seen since the ipad was leaked... The prototype iphones use a case to make them look like 3gs phones.

yup the article claims that it had a casing like that on it and that Apple has confirmed losing one and wants it back heh.

The editor of gadgets Web site Gizmodo said that the site paid $5,000 for the iPhone believed to be the new device Apple will release in a few months, and that Apple Monday asked for the phone back and received it.

"It has come to our attention that Gizmodo is currently in possession of a device that belongs to Apple," said Apple attorney Bruce Sewell in a one-paragraph letter to Gizmodo Monday. "This letter constitutes a formal request that you return the device to Apple. Please let me know where to pick up the unit."

Gizmodo editor Jason Chen told MSNBC Tuesday that the phone "was not stolen; it was found by (a) person in the bar" in Redwood City, Calif., about 20 miles from Apple's Cupertino headquarters.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

He said the phone had been left in the bar by a "software engineer."

"At no point was it considered stolen, or was there a theft," he said. "Yes, we paid $5,000 for it ... I don't believe Apple will sue or press charges or take any legal action. The information's already out there; people already saw what it looked like."

Chen said he does not believe "that it was any kind of wrongdoing, because it wasn't stolen; it was just a lost phone, and actually we did already give back the phone to Apple. They claimed it was their property and we gave it back yesterday."

Apple did not indicate whether further action will be taken, but what happened is a first for the company that is known to be among the most secretive on Earth.

"A prototype Apple device has never been exposed this way, and the company has issued cease-and-desist orders for less tangible reports on future products," Ross Rubin, NPD director of industry analysis for The NPD Group research firm, noted Monday.

Chen made the circuit of TV talk shows on Tuesday morning, also sharing information about the new iPhone, which was taken apart by Gizmodo staffers and analyzed on the site.

Asked whether Gizmodo profited from stolen property, Chen said no. "If you mean we profited from people looking at our Web site, sure, we did profit.

Gizmodo editorial diredtor Brian Lam, the recipient of Apple's letter, shared his response to Apple's attorney, on Gizmodo's site.

"Happy to have you pick this thing up. Was burning a hole in our pockets. Just so you know, we didn't know this was stolen (as they might have claimed. meaning, real and truly from Apple. It was found, and to be of unproven origin) when we bought it. Now that we definitely know it's not some knockoff, and it really is Apple's, I'm happy to see it returned to its rightful owner.

P.S. I hope you take it easy on the kid who lost it. I don't think he loves anything more than Apple."