iPhone Megathread (Includes iPhone 4 and iOS4)

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
This one needs very little explication indeed. Netflix has just officially confirmed that its currently iPad-only app will be trickling down to the smaller iPhone OS devices. It's all very teasing and noncommittal as far as the timeframe goes, but who's not excited about getting the "dessert" to the iPad's main course?

Cool!

apple-wwdc-2010-120-rm-eng.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am surprised Apple didn't sue Gizmodo immediately

There wasnt any slander or defamation. They did what is regular protocol, a cease-and-desist order. The kicker is that it threatens even for future use. So dont expect any more leaked Apple sightings to show up on gizmodo ever again without them really getting sued.

And technically they could sue cali, as they posted pictures of an Apple product and the site makes money off of it. Gizmodo is no small site either, there is lots of money there in that webring so if they wanted to sue they could but it would be a waste of manpower, so stick to regular protocol and issue the cease and desist and move on.

will the itouch look the same? we get one for "free" after our second year of school (next summer for me) so im just wondering.

if verizon picks up iphones in a year ill see if i can upgrade. i say "free" because i had to pay tens of thousands of dollars in tuition to get it. pretty expensive itouch huh? :hilarious:

iPhone 4G leaked – again.

Vietnamese forum Taoviet has gotten hold of another leaked iPhone prototype, this a slightly updated model. It was reported to have been bought by a vietnamese businessman, who got hold of it in the US.

On the outside, the newer model is much the same, but with no visible screws, and a finer print on the back. The device has escaped Apple’s remote kill (for now!), running what looks to be a diagnostic mode called “Inferno”.

bf87c44d4c44a7a69ed20e2760eeb76f.jpg

The forum apparently had a large gallery of images, but seems down at the moment, though Vietnamese news site Tinhte has posted a hands-on YouTube video.

More Photos after the jump!

81956712e0a19ac20fa6c2ee5fdb0687.png

The back, showing apparently clearer printing, and "16GB" in place of "XXGB"

2e26c54cc1cc6ed9a0730d34b2873d02.png

Bottom view, showing no screws.

cab3c4223d8de8d246518436b6c3a1c8.png

Torn down, sporting what looks to be Apple’s A4 processor. (That's a 1GHZ processor!)

iPhone Tethering Coming with OS 4.0?

Though wireless customers around the globe have been reaping the benefits of iPhone tethering since the iPhone 3GS launched in July of last year, subscribers in the United States have been consistently neglected by current exclusive iPhone carrier, AT&T. Though the feature has been built into the iPhone framework since the release of iPhone OS 3.0, AT&T has refused to enable the feature in the U.S., claiming that their network would be overloaded with data usage. We've waited close to a full year with no further comment on the matter from AT&T, but now developers have found tethering menus in the latest iteration of the iPhone OS 4.0 SDK, suggesting the feature may finally be offered later this year.

apple-iphone-20100519015032565.jpg

First posted by Wired, screenshots from the new OS SDK show menu options allowing users to set up internet tethering for use with a computer via Bluetooth or USB. While framework for tethering is expected to support regional availability, what makes today's reports unique is that when the menus are activated, users are directed to set up AT&T tethering by contacting the company online or over the phone.

While the introduction of tethering with OS 4.0 seems likely -- if only for the fact that it has been close to a year since it was originally announced -- we won't hold our breath.

The markings on the processor inside the latest photographed next-generation iPhone prototype reveal the system-on-a-chip includes the Apple A4 and 256MB of Samsung DRAM on two dies.

The information was revealed to iFixit through the marking seen on the device, which was photographed in Vietnam. The markings "APL0398 339S0084" indicate the hardware includes the A4 microprocessor, while "K4X2G643GE" reveals the 256MB of system RAM from Samsung. Both were also found in the processor inside the iPad.

"Our engineers are not surprised by this finding," the solutions provider said. "We were very impressed by the extraordinarily low power consumption of the iPad, and remarked at the time that its power consumption and board design was much more in line with handheld devices than laptop computers."

The markings mean that the prototype iPhone has the exact same processor and RAM found in the iPad, which featured custom silicon designed by Apple. Apple's A4 is packaged just like previous iPhone processors, with three layers of circuitry that include the microprocessor in one package, and two memory modules in the other.

iFixit got an extremely close look at the A4 soon after the iPad launched in April, when they, along with Chipworks, X-rayed and dismantled the chip based on the ARM architecture. Inside the iPad, the A4's low power consumption offers the device an advertised 10 hours of battery life.

ipadteardown-100403-4.jpg

Though the 1GHz processor speed is faster, the next-generation iPhone prototype has the same amount of RAM found in last year's iPhone 3GS. Last year's model had a 600MHz processor, while the iPhone 3G had a 400MHz processor and 128MB of RAM.

The 1GHz clock speed of the iPad processor is largely credited to Intrinsity. The Austin, Tex., firm has developed a suite of design tools called "Fast14" that can accelerate clock speeds greater than is possible with static designs. Apple's purchase of Intrinsity was confirmed in late April.

a4-100512.jpg

iphone4g-100512-6.jpg

Firefox Home 'coming soon' to iPhone, will sync with desktop browser

Continuous client functionality, you say? Sounds like Mozilla might be just what the doctor ordered. The company has announced that its upcoming Firefox Home app is coming soon to the iPhone. The program will sync up with your desktop client so that you can go mobile with all your browsing history, bookmarks and "the set of tabs from [your] most recent browser session" going along for the ride. Not only that, but there's an "Awesome Bar" -- Mozilla's words, not ours -- that'll let you search through everything and predict options based on the available data. While not a "full" Firefox browser, according to the blog post (with the addendum, "either technically or due to policy"), the pages still load from within the app itself. No solidified release date yet -- it's still being polished for app store submission, but Opera's luck give us hope for a smooth approval. In the meantime, you can get a quick preview in the video after the break.

I wonder what came to Apple's mind that now is ok to allow a different browser to be part of the app store.

Last edited by a moderator:
AT&T makes sweeping changes to data plans, iPhone tethering coming at OS 4 launch

You might think that AT&T would hold off for a national HSPA+ deployment or a full-on LTE launch before tweaking its data pricing strategy, but not so much -- the carrier is coming out swinging today with some significant changes that should benefit the overwhelming majority of its smartphone users (and could stand to harm a select few). Let's break down the major points:

DataPlus / DataPro

* The existing $30 fair-use "unlimited" smartphone data plan is being replaced by two new options: $15 per month for 200MB and $25 for 2GB (called "DataPlus" and "DataPro," respectively). Customers currently on the $30 plan are welcome to stay on it, but they can switch at any time without extending their contract.
* AT&T's new overage system is arguably the game changer: on the $15 plan, you'll pay $15 for each additional 200MB, but on the $25 plan, you'll pay $10 for each additional GB. It's simple and straightforward -- but most importantly, it won't bankrupt you if you go over by a gig or three in a month. This compares to $50 per gigabyte of overage on AT&T's 5GB DataConnect plan for laptops.
* The carrier's going to be very flexible about changing between the DataPlus and DataPro plans -- if you're on DataPlus, for example, and you discover that you're blowing past your allotment, you can choose either to start DataPro the following billing cycle, pro-rate it, or apply the higher plan retroactively to the beginning of your current billing cycle. That's pretty wild.

Tethering

* Tethering will be offered as an add-on to the DataPro plan for an additional $20 per month, which means you'll pay a total of $45 a month for 2GB of data shared between your phone and your tethered devices. If you're light on the usage, it's a sweet deal -- but if you scale it up and you're using the data almost exclusively on your laptop, it compares unfavorably to the traditional DataConnect plan: $60 versus $75 for 5GB (and in the unlikely even you've got a webOS device on Verizon, it compares even less favorably). If you're striking a balance of data use between a smartphone and tethered gear, AT&T's new setup is still pretty solid considering that you would've been paying $60 for the USB stick plus $30 for smartphone data before.
* Yes, it's finally happening: AT&T's iPhones will get access to the tethering option, too.

iPad

* iPad users are also affected by the change. The $30 iPad data plan -- lauded for being labeled by AT&T as truly unlimited -- goes away to be replaced by the same $25 / 2GB plan that smartphone users will see, though current subscribers to the $30 plan can continue unaffected.

Everything launches on June 7, except for iPhone tethering -- it'll launch when OS 4 does. In the meantime, we're told users can sign up for the $30 plans both on their phones and iPads if they'd like to be grandfathered in. Follow the break for more details along with AT&T's full press release.

We're definitely mourning the death of unlimited data -- "unlimited" is a word that consumers always naturally like to hear -- but AT&T points out that 98 percent of its smartphone subscribers use less than 2GB a month, which means that nearly all users ultimately stand to see a $5 reduction in their monthly bills. We spoke to Mark Collins -- AT&T Mobility's senior vice president of data and voice products -- about the changes for a few clarifications on the company's strategy, and he made it crystal clear that the concept of unlimited data is a thing in the past (echoing comments made recently by Verizon's Lowell McAdam), particularly in light of the oncoming spectrum crunch that stands to make wireless broadband an even more precious commodity than it already is. He also mentioned that laptop plans are unaffected by this move, though he went on to say that they've laid a "framework" for data pricing here that should continue all the way through to the company's LTE rollout, so we wouldn't be surprised to see some tweaks made on the laptop side sooner or later (to reduce overage fees, if nothing else).

We mentioned that the change stands to hurt a few users, and it's true -- we're extremely heavy smartphone users here, for example, and we're hard-pressed to break even a gigabyte of usage in a month; anyone doing a boatload of video streaming though, or lacking access to WiFi at home and the office (AT&T's quick to boast about its 20,000-odd hotspots) might find themselves regularly slamming headlong into that 2GB cap, and there won't be any option but to buy overage. For what it's worth, Collins pointed out to us that the plans will feature automatic text and email alerts at 65, 90, and 100 percent usage of your monthly allowance (and at 75 and 100 percent usage of each overage purchase), so it should be pretty easy to keep an eye on things and make sure you don't break the bank.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/02/atandt-makes-sweeping-changes-to-data-plans-iphone-tethering-comi/2#c28349108

I use my Iphone all the damn time and barely ever go over 200mb. This is awesome news BigRick! I'd say most Iphone users use their Wifi to save on battery like my self. Woohoo $10 savings on by damn bill!

I have a smartphone with no data plan. Before I upgraded my phone I called up AT&T and very calmly explained with reason and patience that I never wanted to receive another f*cking text message or I swear to god of gods I'll come down there and rip off their head and skullf*ck them.

When I got my new phone I swapped my SIM cards back to my old phone and called them to explain that I was going to be returning the phone sometime that week but since I was back to using my old phone I very calmly expressed my desire to not have one f*cking text message or I will come down there and rip off their heads and skullf*ck them.

Swapped my SIM card back into my new phone and continue to use it normally without any data plan. I use the phone's Wifi for interwebz.

Never have had a problem.

I use my Iphone all the damn time and barely ever go over 200mb. This is awesome news BigRick! I'd say most Iphone users use their Wifi to save on battery like my self. Woohoo $10 savings on by damn bill!

Yeah for some its good and for others not so much. Well start saving those $10 so you can buy more games! :scat:

Yeah for some its good and for others not so much. Well start saving those $10 so you can buy more games! :scat:

lol, I have enough games. I actually just called ATT to get my plan even cheaper, so this helps alot. Tired of paying for crap I don't use.

I don't have AT&T but I have gone over 200MB a month on my Droid Eris so this can't be good news....the other carriers will follow closely pretty damn fast now that AT&T has decided to do this.