Iron Sky (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Japan]

Is this the best Iron Sky Steelbook in the world?

• Total voters
Aug 25, 2011
Hong Kong
Street Date: 8 Feb, 2013

Order link:
Amazon JP Buy Link
HMV JP Buy Link

image.jpg

Actual pics thanks to domalorite:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is everything Japanese so expensive, i remember seeing it touched on in another thread (maybe Dark Knight Rises Amazon.jp exclusive), is it purely the fact that there average income is considered higher, and they are an "affluent" country??

In my opinion there is no excuse for it, even if i lived in Japan and didn't incure the international P+P costs this price would still be quite frankly extortianate, Give or take, 4,400 Yen is £35, that is crazy. Add to that the shipping/customs charges and you are looking at about £50 for a steelbook.

Guess people will buy it, but i personally can't justify those kind of prices.

The cover and inside art look great. But I am surprised the title is written in Japanese. And of course it's expensive.

Love my Dutch embossed ed and awaiting German Limited Ed set. Pass on this for me.

:::: Digitalbabe ::::

Staff: Community Manager
Hidefninja.com

From LV-426 on iPhone

Reactions: Marina Blue
I don't think the writing on the spine is really japanese, it looks more like they switched the letters with japanese symbols that look like them. I could be wrong though, because my knowledge is based on the TV programm ...

Why is everything Japanese so expensive, i remember seeing it touched on in another thread (maybe Dark Knight Rises Amazon.jp exclusive), is it purely the fact that there average income is considered higher, and they are an "affluent" country??

In my opinion there is no excuse for it, even if i lived in Japan and didn't incure the international P+P costs this price would still be quite frankly extortianate, Give or take, 4,400 Yen is £35, that is crazy. Add to that the shipping/customs charges and you are looking at about £50 for a steelbook.

Guess people will buy it, but i personally can't justify those kind of prices.

I think the reason why Japanese steels are more expensive is because they've successfully created an image that their steels are much cooler, and more exclusive (see Nike). It's all branding my friend. A lot of people lap these up, so hey, why not charge a premium price for them? I would. At least this one has different artwork, a nice one at that. The ones that confuse me most is the ones that are exactly identical to other releases in the world. Slap a few exclusive stickers on it, and voila, charge a 50-100% premium on it lol. But no complains here, if it works, don't change the formula. Ultimately, the people will decide whats desirable, and whats not. In the long run, this is actually very good for the steelbook hobby.

Reactions: Marina Blue
I think the reason why Japanese steels are more expensive is because they've successfully created an image that their steels are much cooler, and more exclusive (see Nike). It's all branding my friend. A lot of people lap these up, so hey, why not charge a premium price for them? I would. At least this one has different artwork, a nice one at that. The ones that confuse me most is the ones that are exactly identical to other releases in the world. Slap a few exclusive stickers on it, and voila, charge a 50-100% premium on it lol. But no complains here, if it works, don't change the formula. Ultimately, the people will decide whats desirable, and whats not. In the long run, this is actually very good for the steelbook hobby.

Isn't it just because everything in Japan is extortionately expensive and also because collectors are a bit silly and will pay two or three times the price for a bit of paper with funny writing on.

Reactions: Gamesgaryjp
It is expensive due to strong Yen and the fact that Japan has always been an expensive marketplace for home video for a long time.

When I lived there between 2003~2008

1 USD = 110 ~ 120 JPY
1 GBP = 190 ~ 245 JPY

After recession, JPY strengthened by nearly 50% against all world currencies which means you will have to pay double than what you used to pre-recession.

Current exchange rate:

1 USD = 80 JPY
1 GBP = 125 JPY

Last edited:
Reactions: rodtp and Top_cat2