Votes: 24 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters
my display for it sux tho, I hardly ever notice it on ... alotta times I question if I did my original set up right haha ... but I've seen it say HD before :rolleyes:

If you're using a PS3 as your Blu-Ray player (like many people), then you'll never get the DTS HD-MA or Dolby TrueHD display to light up on your receiver. The Ps3 is incapable of passing the encoded audio to your receiver.
It'll still sound just as good, but your receiver won't show the encode type.

I do not have lossless audio on my system but it sounds awesome to me anyway. I don't know why but the 5.1 tracks on blu seem to sound alot "bigger" than the ones on SD-DVD. Anyway, I can't justify spending a pile of money on a new amp when I don't know what I'm missing anyway.

I don't know why but the 5.1 tracks on blu seem to sound alot "bigger" than the ones on SD-DVD.

thats because:
Dolby Digital on a DVD is capable up to 448kbps.
Dolby Digital on an Blu-ray is capable up to 640kbps.

also, the blu-ray might be upgrading to the Dolby Digital Plus track which is currently limited to a max of 1.7Mbps...your receiver might be capable of handling that...

If you're using a PS3 as your Blu-Ray player (like many people), then you'll never get the DTS HD-MA or Dolby TrueHD display to light up on your receiver. The Ps3 is incapable of passing the encoded audio to your receiver.
It'll still sound just as good, but your receiver won't show the encode type.

HAHA Thats why!!! I just got a ps3 :emb: I plan on grabbing a stand alone soon tho.

I just love it when my Denon Lights up and says DTS HDMA!!!!! :cool:

That's all it is though.... a light
Any AV Reciever capable of Multichannel Pulse Code Modulation reproduction can listen to the HD versions

an excerpt taken from HDMI.org
Q. Do I need v1.3 HDMI to hear the new Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD audio content on HD-DVD or Blu-ray players?

No. The Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD Master Audio can be decoded by the playback device into multi-channel Pulse Code Modulation (PCM) digital audio streams, which is an audio format standard that can be sent over any version of HDMI. In fact, all versions of HDMI can support up to 8 channels of PCM audio at 192kHz, 24 bits per sample.

Q. What is the difference between decoding Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD in the player (i.e. sending over HDMI as decoded PCM) vs. decoding in the A/V receiver (i.e. sending over HDMI as encoded Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD bitstream)?

There is no inherent difference in quality between Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD being sent over HDMI as decoded PCM vs. encoded bit stream. All Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD decoders (whether in the player or the A/V receiver) must be certified to meet stringent quality requirements. However, consumers should make sure that their receivers support the number of incoming PCM channels delivered by their source device.

Last edited:
I voted no, because I have a Yamaha RX-V650, but I'm capable of HD Audio :naughty:

This receiver has 7.1 analogue input, and I bought an incredible OPPO BD-P83, which has 7.1 analogue output.

:D