Slipbox Jason and the Argonauts (Blu-ray Slipbox) (HMV Exclusive Premium Collection) [UK]

lenticularis

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
UK
Release date: March 13, 2017
Purchase link: HMV
Price: £14.99

Jason.jpg Jason &.jpg
Fantastic special effects by Ray Harryhausen and exciting mythological adventure make this a film that is fun for everyone. It’s the story of Jason (Todd Armstrong), a fearless sailor and explorer, who returns to the kingdom of Thessaly after a 20-year voyage to make his rightful claim to the throne. But to do so, Jason must first find the magical Golden Fleece. He selects a crew and with the help of Hera, Queen of the Gods, set sail in search of the Fleece. Jason and his crew must overcome incredible obstacles including a 100-foot bronze giant, the venomous Hydra – a huge creature with the heads of seven snakes – and a spectacular battle with an army of skeletons.

Blu-ray Contents

Commentary with Ray Harryhausen and the Film Historian Tony Doltan
Commentary with Director Peter Jackson and Visual Effects Artists Randall William Cook
Original Skeleton Fight Storyboards
The Harryhausen Legacy featurette
Ray Harryhausen Interviewed by Director John Landis
The Harryhausen Chronicles – narrated by Leonard Nimoy documentary

Last edited:
happy days. :happy: if i can pinpoint a time when i started to get seriously into cinema, it was probably the first time i saw Talos turn his head towards the Argonauts. it still sends a shiver through me a brings out a massive big smile. delighted to now have this. :drool:

what's the package like? well, slip's the same as the amaray, the postcards are OK, but the blu ray extras are quite good, and the print is so much better. i have taken some screenshots below, but they don't do it much justice. oddly, the dvd version is not the remastered version, as even my poor quality screenshots below make clear.

still one of my favourite films. the script is average, the acting variable, but i can watch this endlessly. happy days indeed. bring on that Sinbad collection! fyi @dan8885 @Noodles @UpsetSmiley @texansfan26 @elle82

pack shots and art cards:

comparison between dvd and blu-ray. as i said, these are not the best screenshots, sorry! this is not a 4K restoration, so the technical purists will have lots of criticisms i'm sure, but it is lighter, clearer and more enjoyable to watch:

so, for me, as a package, this really hits the spot. :thumbs:
giphy.gif

Strangely enough if you want the best ever pressing of the film get the CAV Encore laserdisc. BBC engineers spend 9 months working in it and it shows. Still an astonishing pressing. I think it would take a 4k restoration to match it....

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
happy days. :happy: if i can pinpoint a time when i started to get seriously into cinema, it was probably the first time i saw Talos turn his head towards the Argonauts. it still sends a shiver through me a brings out a massive big smile. delighted to now have this. :drool:

what's the package like? well, slip's the same as the amaray, the postcards are OK, but the blu ray extras are quite good, and the print is so much better. i have taken some screenshots below, but they don't do it much justice. oddly, the dvd version is not the remastered version, as even my poor quality screenshots below make clear.

still one of my favourite films. the script is average, the acting variable, but i can watch this endlessly. happy days indeed. bring on that Sinbad collection! fyi @dan8885 @Noodles @UpsetSmiley @texansfan26 @elle82

pack shots and art cards:

comparison between dvd and blu-ray. as i said, these are not the best screenshots, sorry! this is not a 4K restoration, so the technical purists will have lots of criticisms i'm sure, but it is lighter, clearer and more enjoyable to watch:

so, for me, as a package, this really hits the spot. :thumbs:
giphy.gif
Thanks for sharing! I can only agree with your comments... a really nice package overall. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart