Mediabook John Landis' SCHLOCK (BluRay Mediabook) [Germany]

Apr 21, 2012
GER
After the successul work on The Blues Brothers, Turbine continues its work its collaboration with director John Landis and will be the first label to release his movie Schlock (1973). The BluRay will have a 4K restoration and feature an interview with John Landis and an audio commentary.

Bonus features:
- Worldwide limitation: 2000 pieces
- Region-free
- New 4K restoration (1080p) on BluRay
- 4:3 Retro Version on DVD (NTSC)
- Birth of a Schlock - Interview with John Landis (ca. 41 Min.)
- Intro by John Landis
- Audio Commentary with John Landis & Rick Baker
- German Audio- and Video Commentary mit Sträter Bender Streberg
- SCHLOCK - Trailers from Hell with John Landis
- SCHLOCK-Trailer-Show
- US-Radiospots
- Bilingual booklet (GER/ENG) with texts by Dr. Rolf Giesen and Ingo Strecker

Release: April 27th 2018
Limited to 2000 pieces
Label: Turbine
Order links:

166b56b274da.jpg

Release Trailer:

Info from Turbine:

I can confirm this is the 2003 Landis/Baker commentary.

The 4k scan was approved by John himself and his feedback was: "The restoration looks great!"

I can second this. We pulled the original OCN from the Academy vaults and had it shipped to Germany (I think I am not spoiling anything by saying that this wasn't something the Academy liked - but it's something every library or archive absolutely hates) to do a 4k scan, which then got a new grading and was cleaned and perfected by hand, no automated grain or noise removal. It's absolutely gorgeous for a film of this age that wasn't shot on the most expensive stock available. I am tempted to say it never looked that good. And I am not saying this because I worked on it as the supervisor. I am just really happy it turned out to be in very good shape.

Plus we have a brand new interview with John on his early works with focus on SCHLOCK.

We also have various trailers, one fully restored to HD with material from the new print (the US trailer uses alternate footage, so we had to scan a contemporary print).

We even have a recipe for a great SCHLOCK cocktail, which will triple then fun when watching the film.

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: PunkNinja
Here be some photos!

The cover is very decent and white - not schlocky at all! The German rating (FSK) is on a sticker which is glued over the title. There is another sticker for a group of German movie fans doing a video commentary on this release - however, it's only in German.

fc37ce0847b9.jpg

The back.

41b686dfa47d.jpg

The limitation number. Rakete-Shop lets you pick one. I got 1111. :)

df44e35203ef.jpg

Removing the shrinkwrap. The cover is even more decent, plain and English-friendly.

9a9f79800111.jpg

The German tech sheet on the back can be removed.

ba5fd1ed0426.jpg

And this is the image underneath it.

74c8c956add0.jpg

A white mediabook. A rarity, actually.

f00789ec3fa0.jpg

The left tray & booklet. Very very nice choice of image, I say.

3699c1c3c954.jpg

The right tray.

9bed681ddb4c.jpg

Die beiden Discs.

d65017aa302e.jpg

The booklet is rather thick, because it's bilingual. This release of "Schlock" is actually the worldwide HD premiere of John Landis' directorial debut, so it's clearly intended to appeal to international buyers. Hence, English part of the booklet.
The German text goes up to the centerfold, and the English starts after that. I reordered the pictures to correspond.
You can actually see some differences. For example, the German version contains a memo about German localization, whereas the English version contains some production stills. Also, the page with the German poster is substituted by the "Banana Monster" poster.

4535944d6ef4.jpg

f208643c5133.jpg

46fd5518ac4c.jpg

3059d85d8f13.jpg

df0ef3944d94.jpg

6f8f8538e4ef.jpg

f7d66abbd79e.jpg

ee609ff3a407.jpg

68ecd1d0c72c.jpg

The BluRay itself has a bilingual menu (I think this is the first one for Turbine?) The video commentary with the three German dudes is only in the German menu. The rest is identical.

German menus:

7867d1e1d7fa.jpg

3009a8efd620.jpg

English menus:

778a76f505fe.jpg

eabda74f5dc7.jpg

PS: The Intro by John Landis is really cool! :D

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Masta Norris