UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 14 Votes
Title: Joker - In theaters October 4, 2019

Tagline: Put on a happy face.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix

Release: 2019-10-04

Plot: A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.

Warner Bros and DC are in the early stages of another Batman Universe spinoff movie, this one telling the origin story of the signature villain The Joker. The studio has set The Hangover‘s Todd Phillips to co-write a script with 8 Mile scribe Scott Silver. Phillips will direct the movie, and Martin Scorsese will produce it with Phillips. This will be the first film under a new banner that has yet to be named in which WB can expand the canon of DC properties and create unique storylines with different actors playing the iconic characters.

Full story: http://deadline.com/2017/08/the-jok...e-scott-silver-batman-dc-universe-1202154053/

This is such a MONUMENTALLY bad idea.
And Todd Phillips? Yeah, this can't miss....
IMG_5386.GIF

I love all the recent DC movies (apart from Suicide Squad), but even I'm now starting to think Warner Bros don't know what the hell they're doing...

ImACU9j.gif
Dude- connect the sad dots. This is how the WB execs are thinking:
Why Todd Phillips? Because it's the Joker. The Joker is funny right? His name is the Joker. Let's get a director who knows funny. Todd Phillips will get us the funny Joker everyone wants.
IMG_5301.JPG

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Dude- connect the sad dots. This is how the WB execs are thinking:
Why Todd Phillips? Because it's the Joker. The Joker is funny right? His name is the Joker. Let's get a director who knows funny. Todd Phillips will get us the funny Joker everyone wants.
View attachment 329604
If that's the plan and Todd Phillips is their go-to guy for "funny", then they really have effed up. :wtf:

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
I DON'T NEED AN ORIGIN STORY!!!

So, I've just googled Todd Phillips because I don't know the guy by name to see his filmography, and quite frankly, I want to put a smile on his face-AH!

The only saving grace I see in that blurb is that Martin Scorsese is attached to the film in some capacity, but I don't think that will save it. No doubt if he had a directors role, Leonardo DiCaprio would be playing the Joker. Which, you may laugh, but think about it, could be a good bit of casting. I used to think Leo was rubbish (looking at you Titanic), but with films like Gangs of New York, Shutter's Island, The Departed, Wolf on Wall Street, The Aviator (I could name more) all of which I very much enjoyed, I would not be against them casting Leo as the Joker. I think it would be interesting to see how he would tackle the challenge of following the greats like Nicholson and Ledger.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
I DON'T NEED AN ORIGIN STORY!!!

So, I've just googled Todd Phillips because I don't know the guy by name to see his filmography, and quite frankly, I want to put a smile on his face-AH!

The only saving grace I see in that blurb is that Martin Scorsese is attached to the film in some capacity, but I don't think that will save it. No doubt if he had a directors role, Leonardo DiCaprio would be playing the Joker. Which, you may laugh, but think about it, could be a good bit of casting. I used to think Leo was rubbish (looking at you Titanic), but with films like Gangs of New York, Shutter's Island, The Departed, Wolf on Wall Street, The Aviator (I could name more) all of which I very much enjoyed, I would not be against them casting Leo as the Joker. I think it would be interesting to see how he would tackle the challenge of following the greats like Nicholson and Ledger.
Executive Producer can sometimes mean hands on.
Usually it means "I'm letting you use my name and stature to help you get the money to this get made".
Remember- Spielberg has exec Produced TONS of crap. (And I mean bad. See Transformers)
But...we don't root for bad movies. So...yay?

• Thanks
Reactions: TheJoker
Read about this earlier.
It's the strangest collection of people to work on a film BUT I'm a huge Todd Philips fan and I'm going to see what he can do. This might be completely different to his previous work in terms of "funny" and considering he's only writing I'll give him a chance working on a DC film about the joker. It may surprise people

Marvel take gambles in writers and directors and 95% of the time it pays off so this might too

Nope. I mean that was always part of the character that he never really had a proper origin that no one could firmly pin down.... save for the first Keaton Batman movie. Haha
That's what I loved about Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight, he was so mysterious. "You wanna know how I got these scars!?" His story was always different, you never knew what he was going to do or say. And that mystery is what intrigued me! :hungry:

Hell, if it's going to be based in the same DCEU (Leto), then I wouldn't mind seeing a prequel about the Joker killing Robin.
robin, bvs.jpg

And how he ended in Arkham.

It's the strangest collection of people to work on a film BUT I'm a huge Todd Philips fan and I'm going to see what he can do. This might be completely different to his previous work in terms of "funny" and considering he's only writing I'll give him a chance working on a DC film about the joker.
He's directing it too.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Flloydo
He's directing it too.

Oh sh*t I thought the 8 mile writer was directing lol (made more sense with his previous works etc)

Well I never expected James Gunn or Peyton reed to make a good marvel film or them get taika to direct a Thor film (which looks awesome) so I'll give him a chance. People are jumping to conclusions because he's made comedies. This might be a completely different Todd Philips film than what we are used to (I hope).
I agree that if he made it like road trip or the hangover then it will be weird and ruin the joker but for them to get him on board he must have a pitch nothing like his norm that's very dark. He might be a huge DC/ joker fan. **** knows.
I wasn't happy affleck was cast as batman but he ended up being the best thing. I remember at the time being p*ssed that ledger was going to be the joker. Turned out to be the Best villain performance ever

• Thanks
Do we really need an origin story for The Joker? :meh: I'll just catch it on bluray whenever it gets released ;)

I do agree that I love the mystery of the joker and I love the lies ledgers tells about his and his scars but if done right then a joker origin story is one thing I want to see in the DC universe.

Oh sh*t I thought the 8 mile writer was directing lol (made more sense with his previous works etc)

Well I never expected James Gunn or Peyton reed to make a good marvel film or them get taika to direct a Thor film (which looks awesome) so I'll give him a chance. People are jumping to conclusions because he's made comedies. This might be a completely different Todd Philips film than what we are used to (I hope).
I agree that if he made it like road trip or the hangover then it will be weird and ruin the joker but for them to get him on board he must have a pitch nothing like his norm that's very dark. He might be a huge DC/ joker fan. **** knows.
I wasn't happy affleck was cast as batman but he ended up being the best thing. I remember at the time being p*ssed that ledger was going to be the joker. Turned out to be the Best villain performance ever
I'm always willing to give people a chance (I was team Batfleck from the beginning), and I'll certainly give the film itself a chance too... hell, I'll probably end up loving it! I'm just disappointed that WB clearly don't have a major plan with the DC universe and are chucking films out randomly without any real thought. Credit where credit's due... Marvel have set up their universe perfectly and WB should take notes.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I'm always willing to give people a chance (I was team Batfleck from the beginning), and I'll certainly give the film itself a chance too... hell, I'll probably end up loving it! I'm just disappointed that WB clearly don't have a major plan with the DC universe and are chucking films out randomly without any real thought. Credit where credit's due... Marvel have set up their universe perfectly and WB should take notes.

Yeah DC clearly don't have a major plan or know what they are doing tbh. They started well with man of steel IMO but then they were f*cked straight after with BvS (although the directors cut is better), SS is just f*cking awful except one character, WW was them picking it back up but I'm not sure it will last long. JL looks good tbh but then so did the trailer for BvS lol plus all the reshoots don't sound promising and apparently the studio was really not happy with the rough cut they've seen!, up for a batman solo but now that sounds messed up. Really not up for a flash solo because I'm not really a fan of the character and directors keep dropping like flies, aquaman sounds like such a sh*t character to me and I'm not a fan of him BUT he looks decent in JL so maybe the solo film will be decent like WW. Green lantern if that happens will no doubt follow he curse and turn out to be rubbish and the rest of their plans they have announced will no doubt change and have directors come and go, reshoots when thy finish filming etc etc etc

As for this, I'm oddly excited by Todd Philips and Scorsese working together. Could be a strange winning formula lol

• Thanks
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database