Koller Says PS2 Backwards Compatibility "Not Coming Back"

Apr 17, 2009
San Diego, CA
The question of backwards compatibility returning has dogged Sony and the PlayStation 3 since it was removed. Now, with the announcement of the PS3 Slim, the company seems intent on squashing it for good. In an interview with Ars Technica, John Koller flatly stated, "[Backwards compatibility is] not coming back, so let me put that on the table. But it's all people ever talk about!"

What's the reasoning behind the permanent removal? "It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," he says. "We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've been buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies. That won't be returning." So, if you hadn't already deduced from Sony's hardware actions for the last year or so, your best bet for playing PS2 games is to dig out your old system, or pick up a new one.

Video: 1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175678

Amen.

I love my 60gb I don't ever want to be forced to lose my PS2 BC

The whole reason I bought it was because Sony dropped the price and cancelled the production of the 60gb with hardware BC and I wanted the hardware BC not the 80gb software BC

the ONLY reason I can see them not putting in BC is if they make PS2 games downloadable. and that's only me seeing their greed...

now i'm just seeing their stupidity.

I'll say it again like i've said a million times. BC will move units. There are people that wont get a PS3 because they have a large PS2 library and don't want to A) Toss it out. B) Clutter their room with 2 consoles.

It WILL come i'll bet when the PS2 if finally let go from production.

who cares, honestly who here still plays PS2 games and how often? i played one PS2 game on my launch 60gb and didn't like it. IMO the PS2 should be phased out!

who cares, honestly who here still plays PS2 games and how often? i played one PS2 game on my launch 60gb and didn't like it. IMO the PS2 should be phased out!

I play my Legacy of Kain series games and GOW games when I'm in the mood, and that is relatively frequently... Legacy of Kain: Defiance was a f**king great game!!!!

I so wish a new LoK game would come to PS3, I would instantly cream myself.