LA Noire Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
L.A. Noire is an upcoming video game developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games. L.A. Noire is set in "a perfectly re-created Los Angeles" of the late 1940s, with players being given an open-ended challenge to solve a series of murders.

As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noir - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including, but not limited to, crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting.

The game uses a distinctive colouring-style in homage to the visual style of film noir. The postwar setting is the backdrop for plot elements that reference the detective films of the '40s, such as corruption and drugs, with a classical jazz soundtrack.

Though little information has been disclosed so far about L.A. Noire, Rockstar gives an impression of the game in the first trailer. L.A. Noire is also notable for using Darksprint's real-time global illumination technology.

lanps3fobdigitalrgb.jpg

Pre-Order with GameStop to get 'The Naked City' Vice Case & Badge Pursuit Challenge
(Also available via Game in the UK, and GameStop in Canada)

‘The Naked City’ Vice Case
In this bonus case from L.A. Noire’s Vice Desk, detective Cole Phelps investigates the supposed suicide of a stunning fashion model. Can you help Cole unravel the truth in a city blighted by drugs, corruption and greed, where the death of a beautiful woman is never as straightforward as it seems?

The Badge Pursuit Challenge
Hidden around L.A. Noire’s beautiful recreation of 1947 Los Angeles are 20 police badges to find and collect. If you can find all 20 of these badges, the dapper Button Man suit will be unlocked which provides extra ammo for all weapons. Each badge also provides 5 additional XP which will help further unlock Intuition Points – special credits that can be used to give Phelps a key investigative insight when you need it most

NakedCity_CasePoster.jpg

Pre-Order with Amazon to get 'The Broderick' Detective Suit
(Also available via Amazon in the UK, and Amazon in Canada)

This unlockable detective suit boosts your fist-fighting capabilities and resilience to damage. Throughout L.A. Noire while working cases, you’ll encounter quite a few suspects and persons of interest who prove to be resistant to arrest. Your hand-to-hand fighting skills will be called into action on these cases – the Broderick suit with its enhanced fighting abilities may be that edge in helping make that collar.

Broderick_CasePoster.jpg

Pre-Order or purchase at launch (while supplies last) with Wal-Mart to get the ‘A Slip of the Tongue’ Traffic Case
(Also available via Play in the UK, and Wal-Mart in Canada)

“A Slip of the Tongue” is a bonus case from the Traffic Desk in which a seemingly run of the mill car theft ends up sparking an explosive investigation into the largest auto fraud racket the city has ever seen. With the stolen cars piling up and questionable characters at every turn, can you help Cole Phelps crack the biggest case so far in his career?

ASlip_CasePoster.jpg

Pre-Order or purchase at launch (while supplies last) with Best Buy to get 'The Sharpshooter' Detective Suit
(Also available via Zavvi in the UK, and Best Buy in Canada)

The Sharpshooter unlockable detective suit enhances your aim with rifles and pistols. Always a worst case scenario for any detective working a case, there are of course those occasions for Cole Phelps when pursuing a suspect escalates to gunfire. In these tense shootouts, the Sharpshooter suit provides that extra aiming precision to take the criminal down.

Sharpshooter_CasePoster.jpg

Everyone in North America who pre-orders their copy through the Rockstar Warehouse will receive an official L.A. Noire tee-shirt.

Everyone who pre-orders with Target will receive a $5 Gift Card, and get a free Rockstar Games t-shirt if purchasing the game in-store during launch week. All incentive offers are limited in quantity and available while supplies last.

Preorder at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002I0J5UQ/?tag=hidefnin-20

Last edited by a moderator:
L.A. Noire's 'Nicholson Electroplating' Arson Case DLC Dated

If you were one of the first sixteen punters in the queue for Best Buy's LA Noire midnight openings, you'll have been lucky enough to grab yourself a free redeem code for the game's first DLC, which adds an extra case to the Arson desk.

The 'Nicholson Electroplating' Arson Case DLC won't be available to download until next month though, according to the official site's redeem code instruction page, which slaps a release date of June 21st on the first dose of add-on content for LA Noire.

Both pre-order cases 'Slip of the Tongue' and 'The Naked City' should also be available soon, but they're currently AWOL, as is the Rockstar Pass for LA Noire, which was supposed to release on the PlayStation Store two days ago. Where is it? Looks like this might be an unsolvable case.

LA Noire is out now in North America and is coming to the UK and Europe tomorrow. Check out some new screens from the Arson desk in the gallery.

screens:
med_202.jpg

med_203.jpg

med_204.jpg

med_205.jpg

med_208.jpg

med_215.jpg

med_216.jpg

med_217.jpg

med_202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Its identical to what heavy rain did, your questions may lead to a cold case and wild goose chase or cut to the chase. Facial recognition is awesome, you can see the suspects facial expressions and you can actually deduct whether or not they are lying or not telling you something.

You log all suspects and clues and can take your case wherever you want to find clues. If you miss a key clue and accuse someone you may not go anywhere with it. It's pretty intricate.

I don't think Rockstar has ever some anything like this before. It's definitely a good game.

Its identical to what heavy rain did, your questions may lead to a cold case and wild goose chase or cut to the chase. Facial recognition is awesome, you can see the suspects facial expressions and you can actually deduct whether or not they are lying or not telling you something.

You log all suspects and clues and can take your case wherever you want to find clues. If you miss a key clue and accuse someone you may not go anywhere with it. It's pretty intricate.

I don't think Rockstar has ever some anything like this before. It's definitely a good game.

is it a series of button sequences like HR or full control movement and freedom? ill get it in the end but im busy with other things right now

its full body movement, and there is some similarity to GTA, like getting to the crime scenes and stuff. You get to drive around L.A. and sometimes there are random cases that come up that are optional like roberies and such, its really cool and I think it works better than Heavy Rain.

last question... is there a chapter system? basically if i screw something up 3 cases in that denies me a trophy can i load that case chapter or area or is it a replay?

and for that matter can you fail a case or too many wrong moves and you restart somewhere?

Rockstar Games and Sony Joint Statement on L.A. Noire

+ Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire. At this time, Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or firmware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat. We are both committed to working hard to find solutions to this and any issues that may arise. If you are experiencing any issues with L.A. Noire or your PS3 hardware, please contact technical support using any of the means provided below:

Rockstar Support: www.rockstargames.com/support
Rockstar Support on Twitter: twitter.com/RockstarSupport

PlayStation 3 Support: http://us.playstation.com/support/

last question... is there a chapter system? basically if i screw something up 3 cases in that denies me a trophy can i load that case chapter or area or is it a replay?

and for that matter can you fail a case or too many wrong moves and you restart somewhere?

Apparently the better you do the better chances you have at landing a high profile case. The less you screw up during your investigation the less time you spend running around looking for clues.

As the trophy questions I have no clue. You get a result of correct questions after interrogating someone, I am not sure if there's a trophy for how many good to how many bad. I know you can load previous cases, at least that's what you are told at the beginning of the game.

So far, certain cases I have played I have screwed up in my initial interrogation and have made me gone to too many places. At then end of the case you get small hints as what went wrong or what you could have done better.

Take-Two views L.A. Noire as 'a powerful new franchise'

Take-Two Interactive has indicated that L.A. Noire could spawn another highly lucrative franchise for the publishing powerhouse.

Chatting during a call to investors earlier today, CEO Strauss Zelnick observed that the Team Bondi crime caper received an “exceedingly strong” reception at retail, and reckons there’s leg room for more.

"We have every reason to believe that L.A. Noire is another strong franchise for this company," he said. "We do see this as a powerful new franchise."

Nothing has been said on a potential follow-up to the critically-acclaimed thriller as of yet, though Team Bondi asserted last week that its next project wouldn’t take as long to develop as L.A. Noire, which took a whopping seven years to make.

Elsewhere, the company also revealed that Sam and Dan Houser, founders of Rockstar Games, have renewed their employment contract with the publisher.

"I want to take a moment to recognise this team that has been with Take Two for well over ten years now," said Zelnick. "They've not only continued to deliver outstanding results but they've showed incredible loyalty. We look forward to working with the Rockstar team for many years to come."

Take-Two went on to lift the wraps off a healthy financial earnings report for the last 12 months, confirming net revenue was up 49 percent year-on-year to $1.14 billion. Despite this, the last quarter recorded a drop from 2010’s $233.2 million to $182.3 million.

"Fiscal 2011 was a very strong year for Take-Two," continued Zelnick. "We generated revenue growth and margin expansion that consistently exceeded expectations, and also took action to position the company for even greater success over the long-term."

Been playing it nonstop for past two days. No problems whatsoever, and very enjoyable. For those that asked, it is quite like GTA meets Heavy Rain and Phoenix Wright.

L.A. Noire DLC detailed and dated

Rockstar has just announced launch details on its upcoming L.A. Noire downloadable content.

"Beginning today and continuing on through the summer months, several standalone cases, collectibles and challenges will be released via PlayStation Network" said the company.

This includes new desk cases, challenges, a (free) new weapon, in addition to all of the previously exclusive unlockable bonus content that was awarded as pre-order incentives from various retailers.

See the breakdown of the release schedule below:

Available when the PlayStation Store returns:

Chicago Lightning Detective Suit (Free via the Social Club)
Chicago Piano Machine Gun (Free)
L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass (£7.19 PSN until June 14th)
The Naked City Vice Desk Case (£3.19)
A Slip of The Tongue Traffic Desk Case (£3.19)
The Badge Pursuit Challenge (£1.59)
The Broderick Detective Suit (£0.79)
The Sharpshooter Detective Suit (£0.79)

Available June 21st

Nicholson Electroplating Arson Desk Case (£3.19 PSN)

Available July 12th

Reefer Madness Vice Desk Case (£3.19 PSN)

In 1940's Los Angeles, cannabis was not the subject of comedy movies. It was serious business, and Cole Phelps aims to take that business down in Reefer Madness, the next downloadable content case for L.A. Noire.

These days smoking pot carries far less of a stigma than it did in the 1940's. I attribute this to the fact that snack foods are more readily available today than they ever were. Subduing a wild pot junkie these days involves handing him a bag of chips, making sure he doesn't eat the bag in the ensuing snacking maelstrom.

In the time of L.A. Noire's Cole Phelps, however, pot was much more powerful. Back then the government considered it a high grade truth drug, famously administered to Augusto Del Gracio, an enforcer for gangster Lucky Luciano. Just a few THC-spiked cigarettes and he was singing like a canary about Luciano's heroin operations.

Authorities probably stopped using pot as a truth drug when they realized they couldn't get their suspects to shut up or stop eating all the vending machine snacks.

In Reefer Madness, available July 12 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, Detective Phelps must put an end to the vile marijuana trade in Los Angeles once and for all, transforming it into the completely drug-free town it is
today.

[YT]XzJcZrDEZ5M?hd=1[/YT]​

I am waiting to get a few more extra cases to buy them all.

Also, there's a tommy gun dlc in the PSN store for free this week. This allows you to pick it up from the trunk of your car!