Multi Last game played/purchased

Finished with The Evil Within 2 a few nights ago. It's an odd beast of a game because so much of it feels divorced from the original in spite of its many callbacks to it. It feels designed by commitee in some ways, as though Mikami leaving the director's chair freed them up to expand the world in that AAA mentality kinda way - let's make everything open world! Thankfully though it's not a large sandbox, it features a few chapter based hub areas that you can explore while the back end of the game chooses to focus almost exclusively on its story - which has also seen a shift. The influence from the likes of The Last of Us is all over the game and while it certainly doesn't touch the emotional core of that game, some of the saccharine Japanese approach to regret and paternal drive create a few genuinely (if a bit cheesy) touching moments. The gameplay however is where I think people will be torn.. I played on Nightmare mode (hard mode: as recommended for fans of the original) and the over-reliance on stealth and fact they didn't seem to really improve any of the main character's control issues, instead opting to make the dodgy aim even more frustrating at times while also making enemies even more squirrely and hard to hit. The handgun in particular at the start of the game feels absolutely useless and so stealth becomes the only real go-to option. The upgrade system feels a bit half-assed as well..some very useful skills to upgrade and a whole lot of inconsequential ones. Boss fights also tend to suffer from the same pattern of shoot-run away in circles-shoot. Despite the issues that make the game a bit uneven I still really quite enjoyed my time with it.. it's a bit rough around the edges but it manages to come off convincingly. And refreshingly chooses to go all in on making the story feel complete. These days so many devs are determined to end on a a note that has to insist there could be more in the future..The Evil Within 2 is confident enough to see itself out and not worry about what comes next.

I think I'm finally moving on to Prey next.. its been in the pile for a while!

• Thanks
Reactions: dboy99
For some reason decided to go back and beat Ghostbusters for Xbox 360(Back compat). The game was better then expected and did some really good things.Wish Atari had a chance to do another in the same vein .

Picked up AssCreed Origins. This series has been out favor with me for quite a while.. the way they fumbled the conclusion of the Desmond storyline was quite the disappointment for me. I did play Black Flag and Unity and got very little enjoyment out of either of them. I wasn't sure I was going to venture back in but I guess the virtual tourism aspect has always been a hook for me. I started playing for a few hours last night and so far it feels like the shake up the series has been desperately in need of. Fingers crossed it stays the course!

Reactions: Noodles
Having picked up an Xbox One S last week I've been all over the place with my games played; paid £200 for the console, Minecraft (built in) with physical copies of Battlefront II, Forza 7, Fallout 4 and Doom - On top of that, I've brought Killer Instinct Definitive Edition, Rare Replay and Transformers Devastation, and downloaded Cuphead and Disney Afternoon Collection.

Had a ton of fun so far, but can't settle on one game to 'properly' play!!

• Thanks
Reactions: dboy99 and Noodles
Having picked up an Xbox One S last week I've been all over the place with my games played; paid £200 for the console, Minecraft (built in) with physical copies of Battlefront II, Forza 7, Fallout 4 and Doom - On top of that, I've brought Killer Instinct Definitive Edition, Rare Replay and Transformers Devastation, and downloaded Cuphead and Disney Afternoon Collection.

Had a ton of fun so far, but can't settle on one game to 'properly' play!!
Sounds like fun.Guessing you should play battlefront 2 before everyone gets to good but then again, Forza was praised as being amazing .

Gave up with AC Origins after about 12 hours of play. It's gorgeous but playing it also feels like watching paint dry. The idea of grinding in ubisoft open world games is lost on me. They turned it into a loot and numbers game with no meaningful changes to the way gear actually effects combat or any of your moves. What can I say I just don't like being presented with a landscape where you need to invest time and energy into reaching a level before you can tackle parts of this landscape. Especially when so many areas that look interesting are dangled in front of you as you make your way forward only to find if you try to enter you'll be cut down immediately - not because these enemies seem any different at all.. simply because they have a much higher number above their health bar than you. The story just wasn't getting its hooks into me either.. Bayek was just feeling like too much of a likeable town handyman instead of an Assassin the making. I know its the ORIGIN of the Assassins but much like Black Flag, the game doesn't feel as much of an AC game as it initially appears. Pity but it just didn't click with me and fear this is my last time being suckered in to a series I used to love.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dboy99
Gave up with AC Origins after about 12 hours of play. It's gorgeous but playing it also feels like watching paint dry. The idea of grinding in ubisoft open world games is lost on me. They turned it into a loot and numbers game with no meaningful changes to the way gear actually effects combat or any of your moves. What can I say I just don't like being presented with a landscape where you need to invest time and energy into reaching a level before you can tackle parts of this landscape. Especially when so many areas that look interesting are dangled in front of you as you make your way forward only to find if you try to enter you'll be cut down immediately - not because these enemies seem any different at all.. simply because they have a much higher number above their health bar than you. The story just wasn't getting its hooks into me either.. Bayek was just feeling like too much of a likeable town handyman instead of an Assassin the making. I know its the ORIGIN of the Assassins but much like Black Flag, the game doesn't feel as much of an AC game as it initially appears. Pity but it just didn't click with me and fear this is my last time being suckered in to a series I used to love.
Oh man sorry you didn't like it, I love it and can't stop playing it. It's very fun imho. I guess it's not for everyone though.

• Thanks
Reactions: Last Lizard
I got a surprise early Christmas present in a Wii-U and a bunch of games to go with it. So I picked up the much praised Breath of the Wild to go along with it.. I don't really believe in the hype for any games anymore but I'm pretty interested to see why people think it's so good and if I'll agree. :naughty:

• Thanks
This week I started Bayonetta 2 on the Wii-U. The pace is well judged and I feel like this is Platinum Games firing on all cylinders. I played the original on PS3 which was noted to be by far the worst port of the bunch, part 2 feels buttery smooth by comparison and you almost constantly have new enemies coming at you so it never feels like you're dealing with by the numbers cannon fodder. It seems to feel easier than the original but there's always room for improvement beyond a lousy gold award for clearing Verses in a more stylish and competent manner. :D The story is.. eh well let's just say it's not going to suit everyone and I'd probably include myself in that group but it's not really the main draw here anyways. The game seems to have a ton of content to unlock and so thus far I've been having a good time with it. If you like whacky over the top action and characters it'll be worth checking out on the Switch when it's ported if any of you guys have one!

Picked up Dragonball Fighter Z. Also snagged Super Metroid and Earthbound off the Nintendo Store. Been off gaming for a wee while now but I'm making the effort to get going again. :p

I've bought PES 2018 (PC) yesterday.

It's great looking and it does improve a lot comparing to 2016 (the one I played last). But the goalkeepers are just ridiculous (sometimes too good, sometimes they don't do anything).

• Thanks
Picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider while it's on sale on the store. I've been pretty burned out on games the past couple of months though, motivation to start anything new has been lacking until this week I decided to start up Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I'd probably title it Breath of Fresh Air because so far because it's been a while since I enjoyed an open world game this much! :rofl: While it's not re-writing the book and has a few curious design decisions, what I love is how this game pretty much leaves you to your own devices and doesn't clutter your map with *stuff to do*. Save for the tutorial (I use that term lightly) Upper Plateau area you're left to go wherever you like and all you need to do is head in a given direction before the adventuring takes over. I've spent a crazy amount of time already just wandering finding events occuring all over the place...none of it required but all of it so far really entertaining. Great game and can't wait to play some more.

Bought Sniper Elite 4 on sale, couldn't resist once it dipped to $20 for one day a couple weeks back. Nice thing about having Steam running in the background is your up to date on all the new sales that come up. Downloading now, anxious to play it now that my new rig is built and ready to rock!