Law Abiding Citizen

Illiciter

Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
So this was a random grab for me. I hadn't even really seen any previews for it (although now that I've seen the movie I see previews all over the place) and since I'm one to be critical of films in general I didn't even read the blurb on the back. I watched the blu-ray version of the film, unrated/uncut/super wrong version whatever you want to call it.

I was pleasantly surprised that this movie grabs you by the throat from the opening scene and doesn't let go. It's perfect Hollywood kool-aid. I was really interested in how Jamie Foxx would handle an action movie and felt let down. While at times his acting would be spot on there were scenes where the cheese would shine through like a road trip through Wisconsin and it killed the moment. On the flip side, Gerard Butler, probably best known for his role as King Leonidas in 300, picked up where the movie lacked and kept things moving forward. Aside from some questionable plot twists and what I would perceive as a fatal flaw with the ending, the action part of this movie is solid, the acting average (aside from Gerard which was fantastic), and combines to make a great flick to watch. You will be entertained with the twists and so long as you aren't too critical with the story you will come away feeling like it was worth the 2 hour investment.

If I could fail this movie in any category it would be the ending. Some may think it was the correct way to end it, others will see it as ironic, and many more will simply scoff at it for c*ckteasing them the entire movie only to have to zip their pants up and leave with blu balls.

The video was nice and sharp, but the audio stood out with nice and spatial atmosphere but tight in all the right places. Explosions shook without rumbling along with a bunch of loud bass and in some scenes with smaller explosions/close gunfire you could hear the mechanical pings/bings/tings that you would expect from the devices. One scene in particular
where the judge puts the cellphone to her ear
really impressed me with a tight controlled explosion. It was such a well played out scene that it actually made the wife and I jump a bit, but what caught me was there wasn't the usual reverberation with most explosions in movies, it was executed and dissipated perfectly without any excess.

A well put-together blu-ray although I can't speak for the extras, I rarely give a crap to watch 'em. An easy rent for sure, just be prepared to sit and watch from beginning to end because it won't be easy to hit the pause button.