Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
3.86 star(s) Rating: 3.86/5 7 Votes
Title: Leave The World Behind

Director: Sam Esmail

Cast: Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington

Plot: A husband and wife as head out to a remote corner of Long Island expecting a vacation with their teenage son and daughter. When the owners of the rental return in a panic one night after they say a sudden blackout has swept through the city, the couple aren't sure what to believe. With the TV and internet down and no cell service, the two families are forced into a tense living situation.

Denzel Washington, Julia Roberts to Star in Drama ‘Leave the World Behind’ for Netflix

Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts have signed on to star in the family drama “Leave the World Behind,” based on the upcoming Rumaan Alam novel.

Netflix has landed feature film rights to the novel, and the deal is believed to be a blockbuster payday for the two A-list stars. Sam Esmail, whose credits include “Mr. Robot” and “Homecoming” (on which he worked with Roberts), is attached to direct from his own adapted script.

“Leave the World Behind” is a story about two families, strangers to each other, who are forced together on a long weekend gone terribly wrong. Roberts will play the mother of the family that rents a house and Washington will portray the homeowner.

The story explores the complexities of parenthood, race, and class — along with how our closest bonds are reshaped in moments of crisis. “Leave the World Behind” will be published by Ecco this October.

Washington and Roberts previously collaborated on the 1993 legal thriller “The Pelican Brief,” directed by Alan J. Pakula from his adaptation of the John Grisham novel.

Washington is producing along with Roberts through her Red Om Films banner and Esmail and Chad Hamilton through Esmail Corp. Alam is an executive producer. Red Om’s Lisa Gillan and Marisa Yeres Gill will also be involved in a producorial capacity.

via Variety

Reactions: Billy Talent
Screenshot 2023-09-28 124739.png

Have no idea what it's about, but looks very interesting.
Also getting confused by Ethan Hawke and Kevin Bacon, who started to look similar with age, like Dermot Mulroney and Dylan McDermott did in the 90's... :D

Still nothing spoilered much, but I'm starting to think the whole thing might turn out to be a pretentious nothing.

A bunch of Tesla's, all same model and color in the same place - looks like Mr. Robot director watched I, Robot too much.
lWsMpy.gif

P.S. Is this M:i-7.2a?

Wow, I was given what I thought was a spoiler before watching it, having it compared to Beau is Afraid - an absolutely crazy, pointless film where most of the things happening are imagined, or absurd, and I was worried this film would be the same, where it all turns out to be nothing.

That is NOT the case. So even though it turned out completely different, me waiting for something like that the whole movie kinda ruined it a bit. Otherwise, abstaining from my personal wrong presumption, it is and was very engaging and interesting to watch. Information about what's happening in the world trickling through in bits via a few seconds on a broken TV signal, phone news notifications, interrupted radio broadcasts and emergency warning feeds. Suspense being built gradually, and any multinational society's, especially American, problems are exposed, exasperated by interaction amongst each other, and everyone's fears. Basically it's a very scary movie, that'll make you think, what'd you do, if that happened right now - are you ready?

Also it must be the best advert for physical media I've ever seen! Little girl was upset she couldn't finish streaming the last episode of Friends, and the whole movie I was thinking they should've had the DVDs or BDs...

I really enjoyed this and I was not expecting that ending.

Seriously thought aliens for ages because of the Ariel shots lol.

Also, for how weird a lot of this film is, I still don’t understand what was going on with the animals. Like the deer were acting very odd. And that shot of all their faces was eerie and comical at the same time. I’m not sure if the humans paranoia make the animals actions weirder but that’s the only part I don’t get. And I understand animals would act odd with nukes and explosives going off but you only see that at the end and the animals act weird throughout.

Quite interesting to watch this and then see the civil war trailer 2 days later. Similar themes

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Thought this was VERY good. Very tense and well acted. The Camera work in this was insane... sometimes almost too much, but i appreciated the effort and thought put into it.

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Another disappointment to add to a rather disappointing 2023.
Decent setup.
Intriguing center.
Limp, weak af, uncommited ending.

It's like they ran out of paper & ink at the end the screenplay and thought..."Yep, let's just leave it there, move onto the next project whilst Netflix has me under a monster money contract"
This is a film/TV pilot from the early/mid 2000s. Dated.

2/5

Last edited:
I think it's very pertinent to today's fears and division in society, especially in the US, and the ending is clear and awesome!
I enjoyed 2/3rds of it. Sam Esmail has some great ideas in his head - Mr Robot was immense for the most part in it's early seasons - I just think this one wasn't fully developed.
If you lead us into mysterious territories, commit fully and go the whole distance. It was the most mundane denouement out of all the ones I had envisioned in my mind. Oh, they choose that one. Really? Out of all the crazy stuff it could have been, they went with that.

Also, my pet hate is "let's cut to black, hee hee, won't that be cool and edgy" and though this isn't what happened here, it felt as though it was absolutely that.

:wtf::happy:

Another disappointment to add to a rather disappointing 2023.
Decent setup.
Intriguing center.
Limp, weak af, uncommited ending.

It's like they ran out of paper & ink at the end the screenplay and thought..."Yep, let's just leave it there, move onto the next project whilst Netflix has me under a monster money contract"
This is a film/TV pilot from the early/mid 2000s. Dated.

2/5
Oppenheimer
Killers of The Flower Moon
Wonka
Past Lives
Godzilla Minus One
Into The Spiderverse
Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning
John Wick 4
Barbie
Guardians of The Galaxy 3
Dungeons & Dragons
Air

I'm not even going to include things that came out in the US in 2023 and only hitting UK now like

The Holdovers
The Boy & The Heron
Poor Things

I am seeing American Fiction tomorrow too and heard that's amazing too!

Wildly good year for Cinema imo

Leave the World Behind was brilliant and the ending was perfect. So many hidden Easter eggs that it rewards further upon rewatching too. I love that is was part of the same fictional Universe as Mr Robot too... which is easily a GOAT series for me.

For instance, without giving too much away here's one I bet you missed...

The radio station in Ethan Hawkes car is tuned to 1619... the ship you see is called "The White Lion"... and if someone can name the store, you'll see where this is all going. The first slave ship to America was called The White Lion and it arrived in 1619.

I won't comment on what it all means for fear of spoilers. However, I will say this movie can easily be taken at face value, sure. But Sam Esmail will often interweave the true meaning of things in a cryptic fashion throughout his work. I'm looking forward to his next project after seeing this!

Last edited:
Oppenheimer
Wonka
Past Lives
Godzilla Minus One
Into The Spiderverse
John Wick 4
Barbie
Dungeons & Dragons
Air

I'm not even going to include things that came out in the US in 2023 and only hitting UK now like

The Holdovers
The Boy & The Heron
Poor Things

Leave the World Behind was brilliant and the ending was perfect. So many hidden Easter eggs that it rewards further upon rewatching too. I love that is was part of the same fictional Universe as Mr Robot too... which is easily a GOAT series for me.

The radio station in Ethan Hawkes car is tuned to 1619... the ship you see is called "The White Lion"... and if someone can name the store, you'll see where this is all going. The first slave ship to America was called The White Lion and it arrived in 1619.

I won't comment on what it all means for fear of spoilers. However, I will say this movie can easily be taken at face value, sure. But Sam Esmail will often interweave the true meaning of things in a cryptic fashion throughout his work. I'm looking forward to his next project after seeing this!
This is why films and ones personal taste is so subjective.

Every other film you mentioned up there are particularly brilliant, well, bar Air, Wonka and GoG3 (which are entertaining but very, very average, especially GoG3), beyond those three, for each one of those other greats, there are dozens of disappointments and flops. Last year was better than the post COVID years have been, I'll admit that, but it was far from vintage.

Most stuff is poorly written drivel that's made to be completely forgettable. I can count the fingers on my hands the number of films this year that I'd bother to watch again, let alone buy a copy of.

As far as 'Leave the World Behind' and Sam Esmail; I don't want to have dig out loads of little Easter eggs from multiple rewatches or have to have a deep rooted understanding of the lore and universe of Mr Robot. Cryptic Fan service only. I thought all that kind of writing was left behind in the decade and a half since 'Lost' ended.
Why does everything have to be bloody secretly interconnected these days. :wtf: :LOL:
At least this film wasn't ANOTHER damn superhero movie though, so +1 point.

The Holdovers and Past Lives were my favourite movies of last year's crop and I'll be picking those up.
Along with Godzilla -1, Killers of the Flower Moon, The Boy and the Heron as well. Oppenheimer is already on the shelf. Not going to bother with the others. I've yet to see Poor Things but heard good things.

6 movies I enjoyed enough to want to buy from last year.
Hardly a lot but about right for me. Super hard to please. :joy:
I think 2022 only had 5 in total that year I ended up buying for the collection. :rofl:

Last edited:
Reactions: K1SK1S
Oppenheimer
Wonka
Past Lives
Godzilla Minus One
Into The Spiderverse
John Wick 4
Barbie
Dungeons & Dragons
Air

The Holdovers
The Boy & The Heron
Poor Things

No Fallen Leaves ? :naughty:

I must admit, never seen Mr. Robot. I know I know. But so many excellent series and films. But it's on my watch list for sure.

Reactions: K1SK1S
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database