Legend (Blu-ray Original Artwork Limited Edition) (Arrow Video) (Zavvi Exclusive) [USA]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: September 28, 2021
Purchase link: Zavvi USA
Price: $34.99
Notes: To get correct USA price set both Shipping to and Region & Language to USA

203707616_4466793316687961_8012973106053876127_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sinusR2
Is this film any good? Never watched.
That's really subjective - especially considering there are three versions out there (four if you count the TV cut as a version).
The European Cut (94 mins.) and the Director's cut (113 mins.) have the original Jerry Goldsmith score. The U.S. cut (89 mins) has a Tangerine Dream score. As you can imagine, the difference between the scores changes the tone of the film quite a bit. Each version has its champions. The Director's cut has quite a few additions (and subtractions) scene-wise.
It's kind of a mini version of the Blade Runner situation (that one has 5 different cuts!).
as far as the movie itself. It's a pure uncut shot of amazing Ridley Scott visuals- but you have to be forgiving of the simplistic story.
it also helps if you are a fan of fantasy.
Whether you like it or not- it DOES have one of the most iconic characters in cinema history: DARKNESS played by Tim Curry.
6AC737C8-8893-44D8-8EE0-65F10D82404F.gif

Clarification regarding the scans of this release (from TheDigitalBits):

"Ridley Scott’s Legend will include the U.S. Theatrical Cut restored in 2K from a 4K scan of the original camera negative, as well as the Director’s Cut, a new audio commentary on the Theatrical Cutby Paul M. Sammon, and more. Unfortunately, it will not include the International Cut, nor will there be a 4K Ultra HD release. The reason is complicated, but also completely understandable. The gist of it is, there is no surviving negative for the Director’s Cut, which was produced using a pair of 35 mm answer prints, with VFX that had to be finished specifically for the 2002 DVD and 2011 Blu-ray releases. That work would have to be completly redone for any 4K release, something that Universal would have to do themselves with the filmmaker. Also, the negative is currently confirmed to the International Cut, which is owned by Universal, but the distribution rights for it belong to Disney and Fox, and Arrow couldn’t get those studios to clear those rights. You can read a much more detailed explanation from producer James Flower on Twitter here".

@paulboland
The other version below is now available to buy on Amazon USA - cheaper postage than zavvi

As the poster and bluray slip are double sided and has the orig art on it may get that as while it will just have the dif outer box slip art everything else is the same

Last edited:
@paulboland hope you are well and hope you don’t mind me asking if you managed to check if there was a difference in postage if you set up an account from different login details to UK on the USA website?

I will test later this week by setting up a new account on Zavvi USA with different login details to Zavvi UK to see what happens when I enter a delivery address based outside USA

I did relook at this after ordering on Amazon USA and now not sure as the difference is minimal but zavvi packaging is worse than amazon

do you also mind confirming if it is correct on zavvi USA that my payment details have disappeared, - take it that’s because it’s a dif site and I need to put it back in to confirm as a safety meassure.

your knowledge on this has been a great help as it’s a bit of a minefield

@paulboland hope you are well and hope you don’t mind me asking if you managed to check if there was a difference in postage if you set up an account from different login details to UK on the USA website?

I will test later this week by setting up a new account on Zavvi USA with different login details to Zavvi UK to see what happens when I enter a delivery address based outside USA

I did relook at this after ordering on Amazon USA and now not sure as the difference is minimal but zavvi packaging is worse than amazon

do you also mind confirming if it is correct on zavvi USA that my payment details have disappeared, - take it that’s because it’s a dif site and I need to put it back in to confirm as a safety meassure.

your knowledge on this has been a great help as it’s a bit of a minefield
You now only get correct USA price on Zavvi USA website if you have a delivery address that is in USA

If delivery address is outside USA price will be the lot higher price

Why Zavvi doing this I don't know it might be a glitch or on purpose

I suggest to contact Zavvi to find out if this is a glitch on their system

Reactions: snow flake
in case anyone is wondering checked with zavvi that the price incs the vat and duties etc hence the price hike when it goes onto the basket.
Therefore just ordered this version and cancelled the general version on Amazon USA

in case anyone is wondering checked with zavvi that the price incs the vat and duties etc hence the price hike when it goes onto the basket.
Therefore just ordered this version and cancelled the general version on Amazon USA
$34.99 + Vat does not lead to price been $69.99

$34.99 = €29.68
$34.99 = £25.79

EU the price before shipping should be
€29.68 + 21% Vat = €35.83

There would not be any import duty as item price + Shipping is not over £135/€150

Only vat would apply on goods been imported into UK or EU with item price been $34.99
UK vat is 20%
EU vat varies between EU countries average is 21%

Zavvi can't say it's shipping cost included in price as zavvi still apply as separate shipping cost
A retailer can't have any hidden costs on a product price

A full breakdown of costs needs to be clearly listed

Cost of goods before vat
Shipping cost
Vat
Total cost

Amazon USA price for the other legend release in USA will likely drop to $34.99 or less before release date
As $49.95 is the MRSP price
Amazon USA most times list MRSP before they list retail price

Last edited:
@paulboland do you have any idea where zavvi are likely to actually ship this from? I know this is a US exclusive release, but I'm unsure if it'll still come from UK/Guernsey either way..

I've just managed to order it via zavvi US to my UK address, at the $34.99 price. It wasn't working previously and only came up as $69.99. Trying to workout the liklihood of customs charges..

@paulboland do you have any idea where zavvi are likely to actually ship this from? I know this is a US exclusive release, but I'm unsure if it'll still come from UK/Guernsey either way..

I've just managed to order it via zavvi US to my UK address, at the $34.99 price. It wasn't working previously and only came up as $69.99. Trying to workout the liklihood of customs charges..
Arrow USA only releases are shipped from USA warehouse

Zavvi USA that sells UK only releases are shipped from Warrington or Guernsey

Zavvi are registered for IOSS but that applies to items been shipped to EU addresss and ordered from Zavvi UK or the other european Zavvi websites
EU Vat is included in price for those orders if value is €150 or less
These are shipped from Warrington or Guernsey mostly with odd item sent from a EU warehouse

Zavvi USA is a separate website from Zavvi UK/IE/DE etc etc

When Arrow do a same releases in UK and USA
Zavvi USA is selling the USA version but if they sold out of USA version they might ship UK version if they still have any available of UK edition

You likely will have tracked shipping for items sent from USA tracking might work to your address or just when it leaves USA
You might have Vat to pay for a USA item shipped from USA if price was $34.99 when you ordered when getting delivery in UK it will depend on if Zavvi pay the USA courier that Vat payment themselves or they don't

It's still showing price for me as $69.99 at checkout before postage is added when I select my delivery address in Ireland
That price includes UK and EU Vat + a zavvi mark up they using which is not right in my opinion

Might been a glitch that since fixed that let you order at $34.99

• Informative
Arrow USA only releases are shipped from USA warehouse

Zavvi USA that sells UK only releases are shipped from Warrington or Guernsey

Zavvi are registered for IOSS but that applies to items been shipped to EU addresss and ordered from Zavvi UK or the other european Zavvi websites
EU Vat is included in price for those orders if value is €150 or less
These are shipped from Warrington or Guernsey mostly with odd item sent from a EU warehouse

Zavvi USA is a separate website from Zavvi UK/IE/DE etc etc

When Arrow do a same releases in UK and USA
Zavvi USA is selling the USA version but if they sold out of USA version they might ship UK version if they still have any available of UK edition

You likely will have tracked shipping for items sent from USA tacking might work to your address or just when it leaves USA
You might have Vat to pay for a USA item shipped from USA when getting delivery in UK it will depend on if Zavvi pay the USA courier that Vat payment themselves or they don't

It's still showing price for me as $69.99 at checkout before postage is added when I select my delivery address in Ireland
That price includes UK and EU Vat + a zavvi mark up they using which is not right in my opinion

Might been a glitch that since fixed that let you order at $34.99
Right, so it'll be sent from a USA warehouse in that case either way. Cheers paul.

Odd, I've tried it again now and it's still working for me. $34.99 plus $2.49 delivery to my UK address in Wales. Maybe it's because you're trying an Irish address?

According to the international shipping section on zavvi US, the $2.49 shipped option to the UK isn't tracked, so I may not get a tracking number. In regards to uk vat, as you say, I suppose it's anyone's guess.

They say they include it (even though they charge much more than necessary) when the price is upped to $69.99, so they may do for me here regardless of the glitch. Or they could equally not as well. I'll have to take the gamble.

• Informative
Right, so it'll be sent from a USA warehouse in that case either way. Cheers paul.

Odd, I've tried it again now and it's still working for me. $34.99 plus $2.49 delivery to my UK address in Wales. Maybe it's because you're trying an Irish address?

According to the international shipping section on zavvi US, the $2.49 shipped option to the UK isn't tracked, so I may not get a tracking number. In regards to uk vat, as you say, I suppose it's anyone's guess.

They say they include it (even though they charge much more than necessary) when the price is upped to $69.99, so they may do for me here regardless of the glitch. Or they could equally not as well. I'll have to take the gamble.
I justed tested UK using my An Post AddressPal UK virtual addresss I use for HMV orders and showing $34.99 + $2.49 shipping

It might be Zavvi for UK address are going to have those parcels shipped from USA to UK then reship from UK but that just a guess
Not sure though if they can get away in doing that now with the changes to import/export rules

You will find out either way when you get delivery

Hopefully you avoid customs

I justed tested UK using my An Post AddressPal UK virtual addresss I use for HMV orders and showing $34.99 + $2.49 shipping

It might be Zavvi for UK address are going to have those parcels shipped from USA to UK then reship from UK but that just a guess
Not sure though if they can get away in doing that now with the changes to import/export rules

You will find out either way when you get delivery

Hopefully you avoid customs
Aslong as it's not just my account then, which makes it less of a glitch and more like it's intended. God knows what they can get away with.. technically shipping it to themselves first may not count as importing? Who knows. I'll find out come October.

Hopefully I avoid customs. Even if I don't, it should only be 20% of $37.50, plus a RM handling charge, which is still less than the $35 extra zavvi were trying to charge.

Interestingly the non zavvi exclusive art varient they're selling is still coming up at $69.99 for me for UK delivery. So it's got me thinking it may be something to do with some tinkering they do internally, in regards to moving around their own exclusives.

Plus, the delivery timescales on a uk delivery still states 2-3 days, which unless that's a stupid copy and paste, surely would mean it's being shipped from the UK/Guernsey rather than US. If you pop in a US address it changes to 14-15 working days.

• Informative
Interestingly the non zavvi exclusive art varient they're selling is still coming up at $69.99 for me for UK delivery. So it's got me thinking it may be something to do with something they can do internally, in regards to moving around their own exclusives.

Plus, the delivery timescales on a uk delivery still states 2-3 days, which unless that's a stupid copy and paste, surely would mean it's being shipped from the UK/Guernsey rather than US.
USA release though the discs are made in US
These don't have BBFC age ratings

Arrow would still have to import the USA discs and packaging into UK if they was to ship direct to Zavvi in UK
There are rules in regards to a retailer or distributor importing and exporting goods

Arrow Films even though are registered as a business at the THG Head office they are still based as their previous address and use their existing distribution center to ship products to retailers Amazon/Zavvi/HMV etc etc
Arrow Films are a separate business to Zavvi even though THG own Zavvi

Lots of business that THG own or have majority shares in are registered at THG head Office but are run as separate bussiness the actual companies are located elsewhere
Some are based in UK/EU/USA and other countries

Arrow are also based in USA they use MVD Entertainment Group (MVD Distribution) for distribution of USA releases to retailers based in USA

As this is a USA release it would be item imported from USA even if Arrow was then to reship to Zavvi in UK

• Informative
USA release though the discs are made in US
These don't have BBFC age ratings

Arrow would still have to import the USA discs and packaging into UK if they was to ship direct to Zavvi in UK
There are rules in regards to a retailer or distributor importing and exporting goods

Arrow Films even though are registered as a business at the THG Head office they are still based as their previous address and use their existing distribution center to ship products to retailers Amazon/Zavvi/HMV etc etc
Arrow Films are a separate business to Zavvi even though THG own Zavvi

Lots of business that THG own or have majority shares in are registered at THG head Office but are run as separate bussiness the actual companies are located elsewhere
Some are based in UK/EU/USA and other countries

Arrow are also based in USA they use MVD Entertainment Group (MVD Distribution) for distribution of USA releases to retailers based in USA

As this is a USA release it would be item imported from USA even if Arrow was then to reship to Zavvi in UK
Oh yes, I appreciate all that paul. I'm just purely spitballing the set of circumstances that could of come together to bring out this result. Who knows what happens internally really.

All we really know is that zavvi is not allowed to sell this item in the UK, which they aren't. They're selling it in the US and delivering it to the UK, which is a totally different thing.

The product could be sat in England, China or timbuktu... it's totally irrelevant really. The only thing that would make a difference to is any potential import charges from customs.

Anyway, we'll find out when I see the shipping location on my package when it arrives :)