Lion King (Empty Blu-ray Viva Metal Box)(Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

jimmy

Generator
Premium Supporter
May 4, 2010
UK...
Collectable Case'

October 4 2011

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/DVD/3147037.p?id=2258026&skuId=3147037&st=Lion King pre-sell&lp=1&cp=1

3147037.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dirtyoak
It maybe that I'm misunderstanding the items linked to on the Best Buy page, but aren't these DVD's, shouldn't they be in the DVD CE/LE section?

It maybe that I'm misunderstanding the items linked to on the Best Buy page, but aren't these DVD's, shouldn't they be in the DVD CE/LE section?

Fairly certain (not 100% mind you) that's just a mistake. The previous presale cases, like Snow White were blu-ray sized - they didn't make a DVD sized one.

Changed the tread title as this is not a steelbook.

So if I well understood, it's Disney that choose the type of packaging they want for their release (Futureshop or Best Buy have nothing to do with this :wtf:) ... The first wave were steelbooks, the second one were ironpacks, and now probably the cases shown in the X-Men thread :ugh: ... are they going to change the type of packaging for each wave :wtf: :sniper:

So if I well understood, it's Disney that choose the type of packaging they want for their release (Futureshop or Best Buy have nothing to do with this :wtf:) ... The first wave were steelbooks, the second one were ironpacks, and now probably the cases shown in the X-Men thread :ugh: ... are they going to change the type of packaging for each wave :wtf: :sniper:

That is correct - ultimately it's the studio that picks the packaging for any special release.

It has to do with the cost of producing special packaging - so if there is a cheaper option than Steelbook, Disney has proven more than once that they will choose the cheaper option (for them) over steelbook.

I would imagine Disney would have chosen between ironpack and this new product - but ironpack can no longer be sold in the US and probably Canada due to pending court case(s).

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before this new packaging is under the same scrutiny. There's probably nothing that can be done about the already announced releases...

That is correct - ultimately it's the studio that picks the packaging for any special release.

It has to do with the cost of producing special packaging - so if there is a cheaper option than Steelbook, Disney has proven more than once that they will choose the cheaper option (for them) over steelbook.

Aren't Amaray cheaper than any metal packaging :hilarious: ... Come on Disney :rolleyes:

I would imagine Disney would have chosen between ironpack and this new product - but ironpack can no longer be sold in the US and probably Canada due to pending court case(s).

Really EEK! ... do they have any problem with the Scavano company due to similarities with steelbooks ?

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before this new packaging is under the same scrutiny. There's probably nothing that can be done about the already announced releases...

Pffffffffff :(

Really EEK! ... do they have any problem with the Scavano company due to similarities with steelbooks ?

Scanavo is just the marketing firm for Steelbook. The actual producer of the Steelbook product is Glud & Marstrand.

Yes, it is apparent that G&M has a problem with Ironpack. They might also have a problem with the new packaging. ;)

Looks great!

But, someone at BB USA is gonna get his head chopp off for putting this beauty on the shelves :naughty:

Thanks to a member from another forum who bought it from Best Buy US, here's the first pix :
1000037g.jpg

Pix courtesy of Shonuff6

YUP, BLU-RAY METAL BOX THE SAME AS THIS SITE REPORTED FIRST. :)

I wonder how sturdy the metal feels....