littleBIG Planet Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
LittleBigPlanet, abbreviated to LBP and developed under the title The Next Big Thing, is a puzzle platformer and user-generated content video game for the PlayStation 3, first announced on 7 March 2007, by Phil Harrison at the 2007 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, California. It is developed by Media Molecule, a British company founded in part by Rag Doll Kung Fu creator Mark Healey, and published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe.

The game revolves around the player's control of small avatars, known as Sackboys or Sackgirls owing to their appearance, in a variety of platforming scenarios. Though the game features a set of pre-built levels for players to explore, of equal importance is the game's customisable nature, from altering the player's character and personal space, to building entirely new objects and levels, and then sharing and playing them online as part of the LittleBigPlanet community.

littlebigplanet_lgc.jpg

Originally intended for a release in mid-to-late October, a last-minute delay involving a licensed song in the game's soundtrack delayed the game's release worldwide. It was released in North America and Japan at the end of October 2008, and in Europe at the beginning of November 2008. Seen as an important title for Sony and the PlayStation 3, the game received an overwhelmingly positive reaction from critics, who praised the game's presentation including its graphics, physics and audio, as well as its gameplay and large array of customisable and online features, including its scope and future potential based on user-created content; minor criticism was reserved for some specific elements of the gameplay mechanics and level creation facilities.

Attachments

• lbp.jpg
    lbp.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 1,619
Last edited by a moderator:
4627773448_b48d9da4a0_o.png

ModNation Racers ($1.99) – To celebrate the release of ModNation on Tuesday, May 25th, we’ll be releasing a special ModNation Racers “Tag” costume for your Sackboy w/ some extra stickers to make your level tributes to ModNation!

Available Tuesday 5/25

Alex Evans, co-founder and Technical Director at Media Molecule, has discussed during an interview with LittleBigPodcast the adoption of QR codes within the upcoming sequel to the "Play. Create. Share." phenomenon, LittleBigPlanet.

Set to be utilised through the soon to be introduced LBP.me website, users will now be able to more easily share their level creations with friends across the internet rather than solely in-game, which is certain to be of benefit to fans.

You'll be able to browse, select and queue levels to download for when you next boot up the game, meaning that it will now be far easier to peruse the very best that the LittleBigPlanet community has to offer.

"Actually there's loads more features as well, like QR Codes, which are basically little barcodes which you may have seen around and if you photograph them with your phone - you may find if you have a compatible phone - it will automatically take you to that website," Evans explains.

He continues, "But what's even cooler is, if you make a QR code out of your LBP.me website, the game will recognise it and just holding it up to the game - to your PS Eye - the game will just click straight to that level or player."

LittleBigPlanet Meets Heavy Rain

500x_lbp_heavy_rain.jpg

The cuteness of Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet, with its adorable Sackboys, just waiting to be dressed, seems like an odd crossover for murder mystery and kidnapfest Heavy Rain. But cross the two PlayStation 3 games shall this week!

Whether you prefer to dress your Sackboy in the leather jacket of Jayden or the facial hair of Ethan, Media Molecule has you covered. Now you can make that LittleBigPlanet mall level in which you search for your missing child with an extra layer of authenticity!

The LittleBigPlanet Heavy Rain costume pack will be available Tuesday for North America, Wednesday for the UK, and Thursday for the rest of Europe, says of the game's official site.

i know im a bit late, but i just watched your level. well done. from the bit of it i saw it was great looking!

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Sure wish we could get some good creator DLC. :(

I've kind of put down LBP for a while.

The Cool Page spamming is just sickening and makes me depressed everytime I look at it.

Marvel Costume and Level Kit coming July 7th!

LBPMarvel.jpg

Coming soon to the PlayStation Store will be a whole series of official Marvel comic Super Hero and Super Villain costumes for your Sackboys and Sackgirls. Starting July 7th and every other week following, we’ll introduce four different Marvel Costume Packs, each with five different costumes depicting Marvel’s mightiest Super Heroes and most dreaded Super Villains. Starting Monday, Marvel.com will unveil the glorious details for each costume.

Level Pack Contents:

4 Brand new Marvel themed Levels
3 New music tracks
A New level background
6 Materials
12 Decorations
5 Objects
155 Stickers

marvelkit-background.jpg

Background

marvelkit-decorations.jpg

Decorations

marvelkit-materials.jpg

Materials

marvelkit-objects.jpg

Objects

marvelkit-stickers.jpg

Stickers
Custumes:

LBPMarvel2.jpg

LBPCaptainAmerica.jpg

LBPDaredevil.jpg

LBPDocOctopus.jpg

LBPElektra.jpg

LBPGhostRider.jpg

LBPGreenGoblin.jpg

LBPHulk.jpg

LBPInvisibleWoman.jpg

LBPIronMan.jpg

LBPHumanTorch.jpg

LBPMagneto.jpg

LBPMistique.jpg

LBPPunisher.jpg

LBPRogue.jpg

LBPSpiderman.jpg

LBPStorm.jpg

LBPThing.jpg

LBPThor.jpg

LBPVenom.jpg

LBPWolverine.jpg

Pricing & Availability:

Release date: 06/07/2010
Price: £3.99/€4.99/ $4.99

Last edited:
Sony Liking The Look Of LittleBigPlanet 3D

Ray Maguire, CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, revealed at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival earlier today that Sony had performed a lot of R&D into 3D development which involved testing games such as LittleBigPlanet in 3D to see how it improved gameplay. They noted that the fixed-angle camera actually lent itself well to 3D, making the game more intuitive and fun, and decreasing the number of depth-based mistakes you can make while playing the game.

The results of the tests indicated that 3D in games improves gameplay as well as visual clarity; in racing games, distances could be perceived better and players had improved accuracy, and in some games the enhanced sense of speed and depth added to the game majorly. We played Gran Turismo 5 in 3D and can definitely agree that the level of immersion is much, much higher than with a regular 2D racer. In action games, it also helps process information quicker and provide more visual cues.

zconnect.org.uk/article/773