Lord of War (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) [Germany]

BluSteel2012

Premium Supporter
Jan 4, 2012
Ireland
Release date: August 20, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon DE - Capelight - JPC
Price: €27.99 (Amazon) - €29.95 (Capelight) - €29.99 (JPC)
Finish: Gloss with embossing

FB_IMG_1624184816632.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a shame that Capelight seem to make decent Steelbooks but just suck at encoding their films. Their UHD and BDs are really the worst. Recently and happily sold my German Oldboy 4k steelbook as my last piece of Capelight and got the Arrow 4k steelbook. It's at times a night and day difference in terms of picture quality. If it's not badly encoded, Capelight filter the sh!t out of the video.
Even though I'm German - never ever a Capelight release for me again.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: jailbird_joey
That looks absolutely fantastic. Ordered via amazon. £27.50gbp delivered to the UK isn't bad at all. English atmos and DV, meaning it should be the same as the US lionsgate disc, so I can move that one on :D

It's a shame that Capelight seem to make decent Steelbooks but just suck at encoding their films. Their UHD and BDs are really the worst. Recently and happily sold my German Oldboy 4k steelbook as my last piece of Capelight and got the Arrow 4k steelbook. It's at times a night and day difference in terms of picture quality. If it's not badly encoded, Capelight filter the sh!t out of the video.
Even though I'm German - never ever a Capelight release for me again.
Is the capelight oldboy uhd really THAT bad? I've got a copy on route. It was only £14.50gbp, and I mainly bought it for the steel.. but if it's that awful I may consider switching the discs out for the arrow 4k release instead.

Is the capelight oldboy uhd really THAT bad? I've got a copy on route. It was only £14.50gbp, and I mainly bought it for the steel.. but if it's that awful I may consider switching the discs out for the arrow 4k release instead.
I get that, the steelbook is nice - although I appreciate the crazy new design on the Arrow steel. In terms of PQ... tough to quantify the "badness" of the Capelight disc, I guess for the casual viewer it's alright, apart maybe from particularly dark scenes where the poor encoding really shows. If you want the best possible PQ it's no contest; I thought even the previous Arrow HD BD had more detail compared to the Capelight version because of the filtering.
To get an idea maybe check caps-a-holic, although stills aren't necessarily the best way to compare image quality when moderate to heavy grain is involved - which luckily is very much intact on the Arrow release. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to those image comparisons here, there are some striking examples...

I get that, the steelbook is nice - although I appreciate the crazy new design on the Arrow steel. In terms of PQ... tough to quantify the "badness" of the Capelight disc, I guess for the casual viewer it's alright, apart maybe from particularly dark scenes where the poor encoding really shows. If you want the best possible PQ it's no contest; I thought even the previous Arrow HD BD had more detail compared to the Capelight version because of the filtering.
To get an idea maybe check caps-a-holic, although stills aren't necessarily the best way to compare image quality when moderate to heavy grain is involved - which luckily is very much intact on the Arrow release. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links to those image comparisons here, there are some striking examples...
I did hear about the compression issues and looked at the caps on capsaholic to settle my mind. Honestly they looked almost exactly the same to me. The colour grade looks identical, granted that may not translate accurately from DV to SDR caps, but it looked the same to me.

The detail looked nearly identical too, it was just the grain structure that seemed to differ, but not massively either. I put that down to exposure and it being impossible to get a 100% accurate frame for frame, so movement in the scene etc...

A first hand comparison like you've given sounds the only real way to tell for sure. There are a lot of dark scenes, and i love the pure blacks on my Panasonic oled, so I may be susceptible if the blocking really is THAT bad.

I feel like I'll need to buy the arrow to compare for myself after watching the Capelight disc if it really insults my eyes. I don't like the Arrow steel design, so I'll keep this steel either way.

Reactions: BatOutOfHell
I did hear about the compression issues and looked at the caps on capsaholic to settle my mind. Honestly they looked almost exactly the same to me. The colour grade looks identical, granted that may not translate accurately from DV to SDR caps, but it looked the same to me.

The detail looked nearly identical too, it was just the grain structure that seemed to differ, but not massively either. I put that down to exposure and it being impossible to get a 100% accurate frame for frame, so movement in the scene etc...

A first hand comparison like you've given sounds the only real way to tell for sure. There are a lot of dark scenes, and i love the pure blacks on my Panasonic oled, so I may be susceptible if the blocking really is THAT bad.

I feel like I'll need to buy the arrow to compare for myself after watching the Capelight disc if it really insults my eyes. I don't like the Arrow steel design, so I'll keep this steel either way.
Well then I'll be curious to see what you think once you checked for yourself (maybe then in the appropriate thread, sorry about that). Although I do think that the stills on caps-a-holic, when you look closely, show in pretty much every shot that the Capelight video is much softer due to the filtering applied.

Anyway... I hope they did a better job with Lord of War. :angel: Or maybe just reused the Lionsgate encode. But I guess the 4k is just an upscale anyway...?

Well then I'll be curious to see what you think once you checked for yourself (maybe then in the appropriate thread, sorry about that). Although I do think that the stills on caps-a-holic, when you look closely, show in pretty much every shot that the Capelight video is much softer due to the filtering applied.

Anyway... I hope they did a better job with Lord of War. :angel: Or maybe just reused the Lionsgate encode. But I guess the 4k is just an upscale anyway...?
I'll have to go over the caps again on my desktop to be sure, i did only look at them on my phone to be fair. I should have the DE disc tomorrow anyway, so I'll give it a whurl this week.

I'm hoping they've used lionsgate's encode to be honest, for a 2K upscale it was very good. The disc specs say it's DV and English atmos on a 100gb disc, the same as the US release. Only difference I can make out is the additional German track.