Madden Megathread - Includes 9-11 - Madden 11 Bundled with PS3!!

Jan 29, 2009
Madden NFL is an American football video game series developed by Electronic Arts Tiburon for EA Sports. The game is named after Pro Football Hall of Famer John Madden, a well-known color commentator for NBC Sports and formerly a successful Super Bowl-winning coach during the 1970s with the Oakland Raiders.

252px-Madden_NFL_09_Coverart.jpg
Madden10_Xbox360.jpg
Madden_11_Drew_Brees_cover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That game looks good, they still need to polish it though. They need to add a few things before is ready.

They did retouched the gameplay mechanics though, the game is a bit faster and the passing feels different from 09. The tackling is also a bit different, but now you can extend your hand as you tackle to catch someone! :)

I noticed that if your markers are not within the actual reach of the ball as you make your pass they will not block the ball like in 09! they need to be within the actual reach!

This time around you will get the referees to consult each other in the endzone in case there's a tricky play! I got denied twice! lol Since now you can do a multiple tackle is a bit more difficult to get through.

Hello again Madden fans!

Donny Moore here, designer for Madden NFL 10. If you've been following me on Twitter (donny_moore) you've likely noticed that I have been working on player ratings for the game, but what I've had to remain pretty tight-lipped on so far this year has been my involvement with Online Franchise. EA Sports president Peter Moore just recently announced this feature last week at the E3 press conference, and we knew going in that there would be all kinds of speculation and discussion over the feature among our fans. So this week we wanted to take the opportunity to answer some of the most common questions that we've been seeing from the community and from the gaming media. Not everyone has a 100% clear idea of what all is included in the mode, and we have also noticed that some folks have expressed frustration over missing features. With that being the case, we felt it imperative to explain a.) why we made the decisions that we did and b.) our plan for the future developing on this new platform. This feature is extremely important to me, especially as a die-hard Franchise guy (for those that don't know I worked on NFL Head Coach 09 along with fellow designer Josh Looman), so it has been an incredible experience to be a part of building a brand new Online Franchise experience - something totally new and different for the millions of Madden fans out there.

Enough talk...on to the Q & A!

Q: How is Online Franchise different from the Online Leagues included in Madden NFL 09?
A: First and foremost, Online Franchise is an entirely new mode built from scratch (not an improved version of online leagues). We wanted to provide a real-world 17 week NFL regular season with playoffs instead of a flex-schedule tournament-style structure. The major difference between the two features is the fact that your franchise now persists from year to year, and your team evolves over time. You are now taking over as the owner of the Detroit Lions and trying to turn them into a winner (for example) over the course of multiple seasons. Online Franchise features player movement, retiring, yearly NFL drafts, progression/regression, and many other features that did not exist in Online Leagues. Above all else, the most important change is that Online Franchise is built around a server-based architecture. What that means is that very little support for the mode lives on the game disc itself…it lives online on our servers. The main reason we went that route was so we could add more features and do extra tweaks and tuning based on community feedback even after the game ships (so our fans don’t have to necessarily wait until Madden NFL 11 for something new to appear).

Along with all of that, thanks to our server-based approach, your Online Franchise can be accessed and changes can be made entirely from the web. If you want to change up your depth chart or propose a trade while you wait in line at the store, you now have the access to do so. If you can't get to your console when it's time for the rookie draft, you can now attend from a website (just like a fantasy football draft). This interconnectivity is what we are extremely excited about as we continue to work and develop this mode for the future.

Q: Why no flex-scheduling with online franchise?
A: In Online Franchise, you always play the real world NFL schedule. It is set up in a very similar fashion to NCAA Football’s Online Dynasty feature, where you play your current week’s games, and then wait until the commissioner advances to the next week. With us wanting to make a very realistic experience and include features like multi-week injuries, there was no way to make it possible for you to play your Week 16 game before your Week 3 game.

Q: Can I make my online franchise private?
A: Yes, you can easily password-protect your league so only people you invite to your franchise will join.

Q: How many years does online franchise go?
A: You can play 10 seasons in online franchise.

Q: Why did you limit the number of years to 10? Why not 30 years like offline franchise?
A: Couple of reasons…First off, we wanted to make sure the game was tuned as perfect as we could for the core experience. We felt it wasn’t a smart approach to support 30 years if the mode falls apart in year 11. We have also looked at the data from NCAA 09 Online Dynasty and our offline franchise modes, and the reality is that very few players actually made it to 10 years of dynasty/franchise. I myself participate in an NCAA 09 online dynasty, and we have advanced weeks very consistently (from the week the game came out) and we are only in Year 6 (we advance the current week 3 times a week!). That being said, we will continue to listen to the fans and give them what they want. As I mentioned above, with Online Franchise mode being server-driven, if we discover that 10 years just isn’t enough and a large amount of Franchises have pegged out at 10 years, we can make the necessary fixes without requiring a new disc or patch or anything like that.

Q: How many teams are there in the online franchise?
A: 32 teams. Just like in the NFL, there are always 32 teams. You can have every team in the league controlled by a human or you can play your online franchise against 31 CPU opponents to take advantage of the web team management. The choice is up to you.

Q: Do you have trades? If so, how do they work?
A: Yes, we have trades and they work almost identical to offline franchise mode. We support multi-player trades, 3 for 3 deals, 2 for 2, etc.

Q: Do you support 2 players for 1 player trades, i.e. unbalanced trades?
A: Yes, we support 3 for 1, 2 for 1 and 3 for 2 trades.

Q: Can I trade with CPU teams?
A: Yes, you are able to trade with CPU trades. You must choose turn the Trade Settings to “ON”. However, the CPU teams do not have logic as to whether or not they should accept/reject a trade.

Q: Why don’t CPU teams run logic for things like trade proposals?
A: That is something that we sorely wanted to squeeze in for Madden NFL 10, but simply could not pull it off in time. Because everything was built to be server-based for Online Franchise, things like CPU logic would have to be run on that server, so we were not able to make that a part of the online franchise experience by the time the game will hit the shelves. Based on usage once the game is released we will obviously look to update and change whatever the community feels is most important.

Q: OK, so can we trade ONLY with human teams so we don’t have to worry about CPU teams and their lack of trade logic?
A: Yes, you can play with the Trade Settings set to “ON – with no CPU trades”. This means, for all trade screens, only human teams will show up to trade with. This is the default setting for Madden NFL 10 online franchises.

Q: Do you have NFL Drafts in online franchise?
A: Yes, at the end of each season, the NFL Draft is there for you to re-stock your talent with brand new rookie classes.

Q: Do you have the option to start out the online franchise with a fantasy draft?
A: Yes, this is probably my favorite feature when it comes to the Madden NFL 10 online franchise. Instead of always having to load into an online franchise with the default, 2009 real-world rosters, you have the ability to do a fantasy draft and completely balance out the league in terms of talent. So if you are in one of those competitive Madden Leagues where everyone wants the ultimate challenge and everything to start out balanced, fantasy draft is the way to go.

Q: How many rounds is a fantasy draft?
A: Fantasy drafts pick an entire 54 man roster. So the draft lasts 54 rounds.

Q: 54 rounds!?! Man, that sounds like it could actually take an entire weekend to finish.
A: We’ve done some things to help you get around that. First, we give the commissioner the ability to change the time per round to draft. Once you get past the first rounds you can set the pick time to as low as 15 seconds per pick. Secondly, the CPU teams rapid fire pick. We realize nobody wants to sit around for the CPU to pick, so that takes up little to no time each pick. Finally, we actually give the Commissioner the ability to “pause” the draft at any time. This means you can pause it one day, and pick it back up at some later point to continue.

Q: What about if I cannot make the live draft…Is there any way to pre-rank my players?
A: Yes, we allow you to pre-rank your players in the event where you cannot attend the live draft. This is set up in a similar way to fantasy baseball or football leagues. You can pre-rank each position with the players you want; in the order you want to draft them. This applies for both NFL seasonal drafts and fantasy drafts.

Q: Can I draft from my PC?
A: Yes, you can draft from the web using our Madden NFL 10 online franchise application or from your console, and members of your draft can be mixed on either platform. I believe this represents the first time in EA Sports history that a player on a console can be directly interacting with a player on the web…which for us is a huge win. This is a great example of how a server-based architecture allows us to do features we never really were thought possible before.

Q: Does Online Franchise support the NCAA Import Draft Class feature?
A: No, unfortunately this did not make the final feature list this year. This is one of my absolute favorite features amongst all of our football games here at EA Sports, and we have some good ideas on how we can try to update this after the game launches based on community demand.

Q: Does online franchise have player contracts or the salary cap?
A: No, this was the hardest pill to swallow for the entire design and development team this year as far as cut features go. But the reality of this decision was that we were able to get all of the other features of online franchise, and we were able to make it all in time to get into the Madden NFL 10 box. Just like with CPU trade logic, we will balance what features are most important to the community and try to attack those first after the game comes out.

Q: So no free agency either then?
A: Actually, we do have a free agent wire. You have the ability to cut players in online franchise and then sign a free agent to replace him. That means when you release them to the free agent wire, they become available to the rest of the league. If you are in a Franchise with your friends, you could submit waiver claims to your commissioner and have him determine the order of who gets what free agent like a fantasy league (this is what we’ve been doing here at work). However if you are in a Franchise with strangers this will just be first-come first-serve.

Q: So how long does the player stay on your team?
A: Since we do not have contracts in online franchise, players stay on your team until they retire or until you trade them away.

Q: So no free agency, no contracts, and no salary cap…that stinks! Why didn’t you put them in?
A: Many have asked why we left these features out, and the simple answer is that there just wasn’t enough time to get it in before the game hits the shelves. Creating a 100% server-based Online Franchise mode with full stat tracking and numerous other features wasn’t a very quick task. :) It took a major effort from our team to get to what we were happy with in a 1st year feature. The good news here though is that we HAVE given you a way to simulate this important part of the NFL off-season. We have given you a way to handle all of your offseason player movement, player contracts, etc. with your own house rules. The commissioner will have the option to Add/Drop players at will during the offseason (this is a website exclusive feature). I can give you an example of what we are already doing here at the office in our online franchise…Each team in the league is forced to give up five 70+ OVR players to free agency (we all agreed on the CPU team players to release). We then took that list, and did a quick free agency draft with that list of players. The commish then went into the Commissioner Options screen and add/dropped the players to the new teams. While this is not exactly ideal, it does give those folks who are looking for a very realistic Franchise experience a way to have offseason player movement every year. We are actively looking at a robust, live bidding free agent type feature for the future, but a lot depends on the priority you all (the fans) give us on each feature once you get your hands on online franchise.

Q: Do you have multi-week and season ending injuries in online franchise?
A: Yes, we do. We also have career-enders as well (very rare).

Q: You mentioned retirements, so players retire in online franchise?
A: Yes, we have player retirements in online franchise. It uses basically the same logic as offline franchise here as well.

Q: Do players progress during the 10 year online franchise or do their ratings always stay the same?
A: Yes, we have the full player progression system as offline franchise mode does. Rookies like Mark Sanchez and Aaron Curry progress in their ratings while the old vets like Zach Thomas and eventually Peyton Manning will decline in skills as they edge closer to retirement.

Q: is Edit Player available in online franchise?
A: Unfortunately no, this feature was not implemented for year one. We felt it opened up too many doors for people to find exploits by messing with things like changing positions, ratings, etc. We would have had to spend extra, valuable time preventing ways for people to change Julius Peppers to a Punter for example, instead of getting features like Retirements or Progression in the game. Instead, we felt it was best to simply restrict what you could edit (at least for Madden 10). We do allow each owner to edit his player’s jersey number if he wants to (commish can edit any jersey number of any team – in case CPU teams need their numbers changed for whatever reason). If this becomes a large community demand we could look into opening this up on the web selectively (maybe for the commissioner only?).

Q: Is there complete stat tracking and league leaders in online franchise?
A: Yes, we have full team stats, box scores, and player stats for every game of the NFL Season. So you can go into League or Team Schedule and check out the box score of any game played. We also have Player Season Stats and League Leaders which show the Top 50 at each of the major stat categories like Passing Yards, Rushing TD, and Sacks for example. All this data can also be accessed from the web as well as the console, allowing you the freedom to check in on how things are going in your Franchise from work or while traveling.

Q: Do online franchise games have real weather?
A: Yes, you have a setting for weather. You can choose to always play in fair weather or you can elect to play with real-world, seasonal weather.

Q: How do I see what transactions are occurring in my online franchise?
A: We have a Transactions History screen for you to view any and all transactions from around the league, very similar to a fantasy football website.

Q: What kind of options does the Commissioner have at his fingertips?
A: The commissioner is integral to the success of your online franchise. Just like in Online Dynasties, if you have a commish that forgets to advance the week or doesn’t control his owners, the league might fail. To accomplish this, we give the commissioner several different options:
- Boot Player – The commish can boot any unruly owner at any time. Any CPU team can be replaced by a user team (or vice versa) at any time.
- Promote Player – The commish can promote any other owner in the league to commissioner in the event where the commish goes out of town or is unavailable.
- Settings changes: Skill Level, Quarter Length, Fatigue, Injuries, and Accelerated Clock.
- Post News – The commish can post news to the console so all owners can see what is going on around the league.
- Add/Drop – As explained above, the commish can manipulate rosters to more realistically create off-season player movement.

Well, that's it for today's Q&A. We fully expect there to be more suggestions, questions, and requests as we creep towards launch, but hopefully now we've given some good perspective as to why we had to make the decisions we made, the flexibility of future additions based on community feedback, and also the depth that this feature is offering in year 1. Online Franchise is easily the biggest technological investment that we've ever made here at Tiburon so we are really looking forward to continue to develop on this platform and create fun and immersive experiences in the months and years to come.

- Donny Moore
Designer, Madden NFL 10

Madden is just about the biggest thing in gaming in the US (at least in terms of sales). So EA would want to get a demo for the game into the hands of everyone and anyone, right? WRONG.

Only those preordering Madden at GameStop will get a demo for the game. A demo for a game they've already committed to purchase.

Words fail me. Please, EA. Stop. Please.

UPDATE - It's OK! Don't blame EA! Blame GameStop, for issuing a press release that touted the demo as an exclusive, when it's not.

EA have let us know that there will be two demos made available. One for GameStop preorder customers, which features the Cards vs the Steelers (with 5-minute quarters), and a second demo for everyone, which will feature the Giants vs the Cowboys (with 2-minute quarters).

Hey Madden fans!

I’m Josh Looman, senior designer for Madden NFL 10 and the guy who had the privilege of tuning franchise mode this year. I thought I’d sit down and answer a lot of the questions I’ve received about franchise mode and the changes we made this cycle. As I’ve mentioned before (in this blog), my goal was to clean up the logic and get this mode back to where it needed to be. I’ll repeat my favorite analogy for those of you who haven’t heard it before: If you found out you had termites in your house, would you build on another addition or clean up the foundation so that you could build on the house in the future? That was exactly our attitude and my sole focus since I joined the Madden team halfway through the development cycle. I enlisted the help of one of my top programmers from NFL Head Coach ’09 (Jeff Keyek) and worked with the rest of the Madden team to address many of the core aspects of the mode that really needed fixing.

There have been a ton of questions posted out on the forums that I wanted to answer, but first off I wanted to talk about one key addition to Franchise mode, which was a total overhaul to the overall interface and flow of the mode. We learned on NFL Head Coach ’09 that a career mode is a lot more fun to play when you don’t force people to go dig for common information every week. Surfacing these key pieces of info streamlines the experience and allows you to get what you need at a glance and advance to next week. We felt that one major issue with the previous Franchise experiences was just that it didn't feel alive. The Franchise hub was designed primarily with the one-player experience in mind...a one-stop shop to play games, watch "The Extra Point" recap show, and jump to top news around the league (though it's important to note the multi-player experience is just as streamlined through new league & team schedule screens). Here is a quick look at the Franchise "hub" - the home screen of sorts for your entire Franchise:

FranchiseHub.jpg

Now we can compare that to Madden NFL 09:

Franchise09.jpg

Also, here's a demo of "the hub" in action in an interview I did at E3 with our very own Carlos Navarro from the EA Sports Live team. Forgive my voice breaking up...E3 consists of a lot of shouting. :)

[media=youtube]PIIJ-_8tr7w[/media]&feature=player_embedded

So that's enough talk about the core improvements to the flow - on to the questions...

Q: Has trade logic been improved? Will I still be able to trade for Matthew Stafford even though the lions just drafted him 1st overall and made him their franchise player?
A: Trade logic has been improved. It’s much harder to trade for good players or very high draft picks now. In the case of Matthew Stafford, the logic assigns him a trade value which becomes his worth in the game. Since he’s young and he’s yet to reach his potential, they increase that worth and essentially inflate his overall rating in trade negotiations. I’m sure you could swing a trade for him if you offered Peyton Manning, a first round pick, Bob Sanders and a pineapple upside down cake, though. :)

Q: Do CPU teams value their Draft Picks more than before?
A: Yes, they do. In the past, you could trade for the #1 pick by offering up something like the 15th overall pick and a 3rd rounder. We tuned it so that you have to offer up much more to get high draft picks now.

Q: Has there been more focus put on where a player wants to play in free agency?
A: Yes. I spent a lot of time tuning this over the past few months. I wanted to make sure that it would be harder to convince marquee free agents to play for the Lions, for instance. In Free Agency or in the Re-Signing stage, players will expect more money to sign or re-sign with a struggling team. If you’re Detroit and you want to sign a 90 overall free agent, you will need to pay him much more. If you’re New England, he may play for his expected salary or slightly less.

Q: Will players be able to become coaches after their retirement?
A: Yes. We even tuned this so that there’s a greater chance that retired players come back as coaches sooner this year.

Q: Since two-back systems are in vogue, will running backs split carries a la Carolina, Tennessee, etc.?
A: Yes. This is all determined by the RB sliders in your coach options. We have logic that determines how carries will be split later on in franchise. If you have two 90 overall running backs, they will split carries.

Q: How often does progression take place and will season performance effect it? (yearly, quarterly, every game, etc.)
A: All of the tuning this year was done to make the progression system from ’09 playable. Last year, players rarely progressed and if they did, they didn’t go up much. We fixed those problems and I’m seeing what I expect when I get to the offseason after having good seasons with my players. In the future, we’ll look into using a progression system similar to the one we used in NFL Head Coach ’09. It allows for more flexibility than the system we’re working with now.
To answer your question:
Season performance has a huge impact and progression happens in the offseason.

Q: How much does potential matter vs. production for progressing players?
A: Potential matters because it ultimately decides if a player has reached their ceiling or not while production is important since it determines if your player’s attributes increase or decrease. So I’d say that they matter equally.

Q: Has anything been done to the logic to stop players from retiring too early?
A: Yes. The retirement logic has been tuned so that less 30-34 year old players with a higher overall rating retire. You’ll still see players retire, but if they’re any good, they’ll stay around a little longer.

Q: How many different draft classes are there and how many extra undrafted players will there be on average?
A: There are 32 different draft classes that contain around 250 players each. That means about 30 players will go undrafted in each class.

Q: How will the scouting process work for rookies pre-draft and how is it different from the last few iterations of Madden or similar to HC?
A: Scouting is different than it was in ’09. This year you pick the players you want to scout and each week a piece of information is unlocked about them. At first, the information will be a bit vague. You’ll see comments like, “His awareness is less than an 80.” Once you scout the player a few more weeks, you’ll clear up the vague comments and see something along the lines of, “Ok, we’re sure that his awareness is a 76.”
This will help you get a total picture of the player. Since you also have an idea of what his potential is, you can combine the information to determine if the player has high potential and if he’s able to be more than a project. Just because a player has high potential doesn’t mean that he’ll be a productive player for a while. You may draft players in the 7th round with high potential but they’ll come in at 59 overall. So it could take years for them to be ready to play significant roles. If you do your homework, you can find the Marques Colston’s of the Draft. Players with high potential and high overalls that can contribute right away. I spent a lot of time tuning the draft classes so that there are really busts and gems in the draft now. You may draft a LT who comes out at 80 overall but has a potential of 81. Or you may draft a QB in the 6th round who has a 99 potential and a 78 overall rating ala Tom Brady.

Q: Is there a noticeable difference between regular season and playoff games?
A: Yes. Ian and the presentation team did a lot of great things to make sure that the playoffs felt different than the regular season. I’m not going to spoil them for you, but I have a feeling your jaws are going to drop when you see some of the things we have in store.

Q: Has anything been done to fix the scheduling logic? Will we still see teams with 4 straight Monday night games or open the season with a 6-game road trip?
A: This has been fixed by the guy I mentioned above...Jeff Keyek. He fixed some weird logic issues that were causing scheduling anomalies.

Q: Will coaches effect progression? For example it seemed like the Ravens and Steelers could draft LBer after LBer and most of them would become at least solid players.
A: Coaches, especially elite coaches, do impact a player’s ratings in Franchise Mode. Coaches like D. LeBeau will give a constant increase to certain player ratings in-game and when games are simmed, effectively making players on their team better all the time. You can see the impact they make in the player management screen. You’ll notice a little plus sign and a number next to the ratings they are increasing.

Q: How are the draft classes, are they the same classes from Headcoach?
A: The draft classes are my favorite thing about franchise mode this year. They are different from Head Coach (some old HC favorites were carried over) but they were all hand created like they were there. I created lots of different types of players, too. Run Stopping DEs vs. Pass Rushing DEs, big bruising backs vs. scat backs, etc. I think you guys will have a blast trying to find the hidden gems and living with the busts. I can’t you how satisfying it is to turn a team around like I did when playing a few seasons with the Bengals. I couldn’t run the ball at all with Cedric Benson for 17 games in year one. I got into the offseason and found a RB in the 3rd round that immediately ignited my running game in year two. I made the playoffs and that kid won rookie of the year.

Q: Will you marry me?
A: No. :)

Q: Will it be fun enough to play more than 2 seasons?
A: Yes. And that was my goal this year!

Thanks for all of the questions and the positive feedback so far. I look forward to working with Phil, Ian, Donny and the rest of the team to bring you guys the best version of Madden every year! You guys are the most passionate fans and we love that about you.

- Josh Looman
Senior Designer, Madden NFL 10

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw a deal ...

Gamestop is offering a $40 coupon towards Madden when you buy NCAA 10 ... that way if you trade it in right before release Madden will only cost you the remainder. ($20-25)

Not bad.

Also Madden demo late July via code for reserve.

Football's like Hockey Is in canada

canucks can play some damn good football also...but BC lions has being sucking major ass at their 4-1 losts new in the season.

should be pretty damn good game,last Football game i ever played was Back in the Nintendo 64 days that NFL Blitz 2000!

EA Talks New Sports Games (Madden)

Riccitiello believes that releasing FIFA in a World Cup year will be great for EA. Sports fans should also look forward to “an innovative and new take on Madden.”

Madden NFL 11 PSP bundle coming soon

Sony has partnered with EA to offer a Madden NFL 11 PSP bundle for the nice price of $169.99 USD. The bundle includes a Black PSP-3000 and a copy of Madden NFL 11 on UMD.

Madden NFL 11 offers new features like GameFlow, which gives you an even more realistic quarterback experience, calling and executing plays one at a time. There is also 3-on-3 online Team Play, play-by-play recaps, and a lot more to give the popular football game a more realistic polish.

maddennfl11bundle.jpg

Madden NFL 11 PSP bundle coming soon

Sony has partnered with EA to offer a Madden NFL 11 PSP bundle for the nice price of $169.99 USD. The bundle includes a Black PSP-3000 and a copy of Madden NFL 11 on UMD.

Madden NFL 11 offers new features like GameFlow, which gives you an even more realistic quarterback experience, calling and executing plays one at a time. There is also 3-on-3 online Team Play, play-by-play recaps, and a lot more to give the popular football game a more realistic polish.

maddennfl11bundle.jpg

The 3-on-3 online Team Play sounds like fun....:D