Making Plasma

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
So the glass popped huh? Wonder if you had a big thick beer mug...

Is your microwave ok?

microwave was fine. i don't know what would happen if the glass wasn't in there, but i bet nothing since there would be nothing to contain the gas which is made into plasma. you'd have to have a big microwave to fit a big beer mug in there.

its too bad we filmed it with just a digital camera for video cause you can't see the colors too well. there was a hint of blue, mostly yellow and some red bars on top. it sounds wicked though :twisted:

Illiciter

Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2009
microwave was fine. i don't know what would happen if the glass wasn't in there, but i bet nothing since there would be nothing to contain the gas which is made into plasma. you'd have to have a big microwave to fit a big beer mug in there.

its too bad we filmed it with just a digital camera for video cause you can't see the colors too well. there was a hint of blue, mostly yellow and some red bars on top. it sounds wicked though :twisted:

I was just wondering if the added glass thickness would prevent the breakage...

You can do this with grapes, too. Wonder if more matches/grapes/bigger candle means more gas to charge?

Thicker glass/plexi might resist the heat better...

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
I was just wondering if the added glass thickness would prevent the breakage...

You can do this with grapes, too. Wonder if more matches/grapes/bigger candle means more gas to charge?

Thicker glass/plexi might resist the heat better...

yah, i duno if it would prevent it, but my cheap walmart glass only lasted about 7 seconds with plasma in it. i think at the least thicker glass would contain the plasma longer.

i read about people doing it with grapes, but it seemed harder as you have to like slice the grape a certain way and leave like a tiny bridge between the grape halves. lighting a match proved much simpler.

the shattering of the glass made it more epic tho!

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Dude that was frickin sweet, what the hell made u think to do something like this?

well ive seen it before so i wanted to do it for awhile but it was a matter of tracking down a microwave that no one cares about anymore. my dad just retired from teaching and i used the one he had in his classroom which was an cheap one i used like my first or second year in college.

not that it did any damage to the microwave really, i just didn't want to take any chances. its really easy, all you need is to take the glass plate out of a microwave and put a match in there, then light it and put a glass over it. i put the microwave at 30 seconds and that was more than enough time. it took me 2 times to get it to work though.