Marvel General Discussion Thread

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Marvel NOW! launches in October 2012

http://www.tfaw.com/marvel-now/

MnowX_2.jpg

"The future of Marvel Comics is almost here: Marvel NOW! Billed as “a new beginning for the Marvel Universe,” Marvel NOW! will make a splash this October with relaunched books, redesigned costumes, and rebirths of major characters.

This is a major shakeup from a hot publisher that everyone will be talking about--bookmark this page to get hot Marvel NOW! series like Uncanny Avengers, All-New X-Men, and more!"

-----

NEW TITLES WITH MARVEL NOW!
- All-New X-Men by Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen
- Avengers by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena
- Avengers Arena by Dennis Hopeless and Kev Walker
- Cable and X-Force by Dennis Hopeless and Salvador Larroca
- Captain America by Rick Remender and John Romita, Jr.
- Deadpool by Brian Posehn & Gerry Duggan and Tony Moore
- Fantastic Four by Matt Fraction and Mark Bagley
- FF by Matt Fraction and Mike Allred
- Indestructible Hulk by Mark Waid and Leinil Yu
- Iron Man by Kieron Gillen and Greg Land
- New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting
- Savage Wolverine by Frank Cho
- Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic
- Thunderbolts by Daniel Way and Steve Dillon
- Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender and John Cassaday
- Uncanny X-Force by Sam Humphries and Ron Garney
- X-Men Legacy by Si Spurrier and Tan Eng Haut
- Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie

CONTINUING SERIES & NEW MINI-SERIES WITH MARVEL NOW! (WITH NEW CREATIVE TEAMS)
- A+X by Various
- Avengers Assemble by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Stefano Caselli
- Journey into Mystery by Kathryn Immonen and Valerio Schiti
- Red She-Hulk (formerly Hulk) by Jeff Parker and Carlo Pagulayan & Wellington Alves

Attachments

• Marvel.jpg
    Marvel.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 875
Last edited by a moderator:
REALLY interested in FF, All-New X-Men and Uncanny Avengers. Sorta interested in Cable and X-Force, Indestructible Hulk and Captain America. Everything else I can take it or leave it. It's an interesting relaunch, though (and I don't care what Marvel says, this is straight-up a relaunch to compete with DC's New 52). I think this is the 200th time Hulk, Thor and Captain America have received a #1 over the last decade. Absolutely ridiculous. Either reboot like DC did or leave the numbering. The renumbering gimmick is getting old and frustrating.

hehe, To be honest its too much to digest, I love the new stories but the all have ties to the old stories with new twists. I think my brain is on meltdown, Can someone give me a crash course on whats going on :wtf:

If I was all caught up, I'd be all over this!

I will get them as soon as the hardcover trades are released. Hopefully they stick to the regular hardcover style, the last secret avengers hardcover I bought was pretty poor quality: printed-on-cover and super-thin paper, didn't like that.

I already pre-ordered the whole AvX event (incl. tie ins). As I live in Switzerland it's getting pretty expensive to get those single issues, so I will have to wait a lil' bit longer - but that's fine for me, I got enough material to keep me entertained.

I don't know what I should think about the Marvel NOW era. The cover of FF #1 looks terrible, I liked the team as it was, Hickmans FF was awesome. What the hell is She-Hulk, Ant-Man, Medusa and Miss Thing doing there?! Miss Thing? Well, I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty sceptical about this one..

I'm especially looking forward to reading the new books Hickman, Remender, Gillen, Way & Aaron are writing.

hehe, To be honest its too much to digest, I love the new stories but the all have ties to the old stories with new twists. I think my brain is on meltdown, Can someone give me a crash course on whats going on :wtf:

If I was all caught up, I'd be all over this!

This entire "relaunch" is spinning directly out of the current Avengers vs. X-Men mini-series. If you've read that and the upcoming Point One one-shot issue, you should be able to understand all these new titles by the time they launch. It looks like Spider-Man and Wolverine are both starting over with new #1's, too. Personally, all this renumbering and relaunching and rebooting is nauseating. I miss the good ol' days of comic book collecting.

I will get them as soon as the hardcover trades are released. Hopefully they stick to the regular hardcover style, the last secret avengers hardcover I bought was pretty poor quality: printed-on-cover and super-thin paper, didn't like that.

I already pre-ordered the whole AvX event (incl. tie ins). As I live in Switzerland it's getting pretty expensive to get those single issues, so I will have to wait a lil' bit longer - but that's fine for me, I got enough material to keep me entertained.

I don't know what I should think about the Marvel NOW era. The cover of FF #1 looks terrible, I liked the team as it was, Hickmans FF was awesome. What the hell is She-Hulk, Ant-Man, Medusa and Miss Thing doing there?! Miss Thing? Well, I'll give it a try, but I'm pretty sceptical about this one..

I'm especially looking forward to reading the new books Hickman, Remender, Gillen, Way & Aaron are writing.

I agree about the quality of Marvel's hardcovers. They're definitely declining.

As for Marvel NOW, I'm interested in a couple titles, but they whole idea's kinda idiotic if you ask. I mean, this'll literally be Hulk's third #1 in only five years. Cap and Thor JUST relaunched less than 2 years ago. It's getting pretty stupid.

I think FF looks like a lot of fun, but then again, I'm a sucker for Mike Allred's art (R.I.P. X-Force/X-Statix). By the way, this is how to understand it; in the main Fantastic Four book, the team's about to jump through time on a journey, so each member hand-picks someone to head up FF while they're gone. Mr. Fantastic chooses Ant-Man, Invisible Woman/Thing choose She-Hulk/Medusa and Johnny can't make up his mind, so he just picks his current girlfriend to wear a giant Thing-suit and go by the monikor of Miss Thing. Should be a fun book.

Hi,

I was wondering if more people collect the trading cards from Marvel, the avengers?

Attachments

• 51Tu9yuGsHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51Tu9yuGsHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 148
Last edited by a moderator:
***Avengers vs. X-Men SPOILERS appear throughout what I'm about to write...***

Well, Marvel NOW! is now upon us and I just finished reading through both AvX: Consequences #1 and Uncanny Avengers #1.

AvX:C is the one that I read first. I probably should've read it second as it mentions moments that appear within the pages of UA, but no big deal. Anyway, the first issue of AvX:C was quite a good read even though the art quality kinda jumped all over the place.

I still don't like the fact that Cyclops is now a villain and that he's locked away in prison, but it works well for the story and it makes sense considering the road he's been taking over the past 10 years or so.

There was a conversation between Wolverine and Captain America that I loved reading within this book, but wow -- Cap's new costume sure is ugly. The ending of the book was quite good, too, and I look forward to reading the next issue because of it. If you enjoyed AvX, I'd recommend you check out Consequences to see the after-effects of that story.

Uncanny Avengers was... well... it was excellent. Wolverine's speech at "Chuck" Xavier's funeral was touching and it had more impact than the character's actual death within the pages of AvX #11. Rick Remender nailed the dialogue between the characters and John Cassaday's art simply rocked. I don't think he was as spot-on as he was during his Astonishing X-Men run, but it was still stunning work.

Havok's role as leader of this new team had me puzzled when it was first announced, but after reading the first issue, it makes sense and I can't wait to read future issues of him as leader.

The issue ended with a cliffhanger that was quite sick for a Marvel comic book that's not stamped with a mature rating. Overall, it was a great start to Marvel NOW! and it has me craving for more.

Marvel announced today at NYCC that they’re taking their universe to the next level with The Marvel Experience produced by Hero Ventures. You step into hyper-reality for this amazing chance to be a hero.

You are S.H.IE.L.D.’s newest recruit and swing with Spider-Man and fly with Iron Man in several colossal domes as you train for a climatic battle against Hydra and its army of evil Adaptoids. you experience the world’s only 360-degree, 3-D stereoscopic theater and state-of-the-art 4D motion ride.

Here are the announced dates so far:
-Arizona December 12th – January 3rd
-Dallas January 9th – February 1st
-San Diego February 7th – February 22nd
-San Francisco 27th – March 22nd

More dates are coming soon. It will be in Parks fairgrounds and Parking lots because it is too big for stadiums. In 5-6 weeks, more places will be announced. The tickets go on sale tomorrow and prices range from $22-35.

Continue reading...

Earlier today during the “Secret Wars Kick-Off” press event, Marvel Comics Editor-in-chief Axel Alonso and Senior Vice President of Publishing/Executive Editor Tom Brevoort announced that both the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe would be coming to an end during the upcoming SECRET WARS mini-series and that both universes will be “smashed together” into one new one in the form of ‘Battleworld’.

FULL STORY HERE!

Marvel Universe.jpg

I'm sometimes glad I stopped reading comics. Stories being retold over and over with different characters or Characters dying and coming back a few months later. The only ones I still read in Trades are Walking Dead and that's it.

I'm sometimes glad I stopped reading comics. Stories being retold over and over with different characters or Characters dying and coming back a few months later. The only ones I still read in Trades are Walking Dead and that's it.

These days, in order to keep your sanity as a comic book reader, it's basically independent or nothing at all. I can still enjoy the occassional Marvel and DC comic, but then some f**khead comes along and ruins it. At least with Image and books like Invincible, Saga, Rat Queens and so on, I know that it's one creative team and one story right to the end.

Reactions: mlmaier84

Earlier today during the “Secret Wars Kick-Off” press event, Marvel Comics Editor-in-chief Axel Alonso and Senior Vice President of Publishing/Executive Editor Tom Brevoort announced that both the Marvel Universe and the Ultimate Universe would be coming to an end during the upcoming SECRET WARS mini-series and that both universes will be “smashed together” into one new one in the form of ‘Battleworld’.

SECRET WARS is the new Marvel event written by Jonathan Hickman (with art by THOR: GOD OF THUNDER artist Esad Ribic) that will be the culmination of his previous work on AVENGERS and NEW AVENGERS that began back in 2012. Once the event begins, both universes as we know them will no longer exist.

“Once we hit SECRET WARS #1, there is no Marvel Universe, Ultimate Universe, or any other. It’s all Battleworld,” Brevoort said.

“The Marvel universe will be Battleworld, and every single piece of those worlds will be building blocks for the universe,” Alonso noted, later stating, “We’re launching a wealth of new series, both ongoing and minis, during SECRET WARS.”

While the Ultimate Universe has slowly been shutting its doors over the past couple years, its core book, MILES MORALES: ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN, has been a consistent fan-favorite, top-selling comic for Marvel ever since the line launched back in 2000. Lots have speculated that Marvel has wanted to cut the line completely for quite some time, but they haven’t been able to let go of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. With this event acting as a merger for the universes, Miles Morales and any other Ultimate character will finally be able to move over into one universe with the rest of Marvel’s characters.

The Ultimate Universe is relatively fresh at only 15 years old, but the regular Marvel Universe has been around since Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s FANTASTIC FOUR in 1961. For some, that’ll be an awfully big pill to swallow. So how did Lee react to the news?

While speaking to Jim McLaughlin of Newsarama, Lee said the following:

It’s probably good. Anything they do that’s unexpected and different usually captures the attention of the fans. People will want to follow it to see what happens and where it will lead. Marvel cannot keep doing the same stories over and over again. You always have to come up with new angles and new approaches to things. I think it’s probably a good idea. It sounds intriguing to me. Of course I have an emotional attachment to the original Marvel Universe, because I was so involved in it. But that doesn’t mean I expect it to be that way forever. It might be better under this new approach. I’m eager to see what might happen.

DC’s New 52 initiative definitely worked for them, so it was only a matter of time before Marvel followed suit (though Alonso is staying mum on whether this is a full reboot or not). It’ll certainly be an interesting summer for the Marvel fans out there. As someone who grew up on Marvel, I’m intrigued. I just hope that this doesn’t mean the end for their merry band of mutants (Marvel’s really pushing ‘Inhumans’ right now since Fox owns the film rights to the X-Men).

Be sure to pick up a free copy of SECRET WARS #0 during this year’s Free Comic Book Day (Saturday, May 2nd) in order to catch up and prepare yourself for the end of the Marvel Universe. SECRET WARS #1 and (an oversized) #2 will soon follow after that in May.

Continue reading...

very interesting. I'll have to keep an eye out .... seems more directed by business decisions for many tie ins.

I know that Sony has already agreed now for Spiderman to be in Marvel movies. :)

Hmm reading comments across the net, there seems to still be great deal of confusion and a mixture of anger amongst a great many fans of all ages over this "mini" series. Not least as they are ending a fair few titles that are not even a year old yet. Many feel this is Disney putting pressure on Marvel to constantly have No1's for sale as they sell well, in the recent Thor and Amazing Spider-Man's case almost double their later issue figures.

Personally I have to agree with @tridon on Marvel. A reader coming in as it stands at the moment would basically need to spend a couple of weeks on places like Wiki learning about all the different realities and universes before they could even begin to read many of the monthly titles. I stopped reading Marvel in the late 90's as I was sick of the constant crossovers and variants that were being pumped out with weak storylines. I recently started Spider-Man again with the Amazing relaunch and even that expected you to know a whole load of recent backstory so after a few issues I just stopped.

Fortunately "for me" Black Widow isn't going to be affected much except for one issue because since it's relaunch it's already tied into the films and Agents Of SHIELD rather than the other comics, and along with Rocket Raccoon/Thor "Both getting cancelled" are the only Marvel books I read.

I really wish they had just gone with the "Last Days" issues which are part of this Secret Wars line and ended each of these titles there, and announced they were going back to basics most likely to run along side the film universe which seems to be the opinion of many a fan/critic across the web.

If the intention is to take each of these titles back to basics "DC New 52 style" then great but Marvel won't confirm thats what they are doing.

I'll be passing on this series because as usual it seems more about shifting lots of special variant covers than it does a great story. I may pick up the graphic novel of it later down the line but these separate issues spread over all titles is just mind numbing and costly.

It would probably cost a fortune to keep track of every single run, spin-off, tie-in, tie-out, dress-tie and everything inbetween! I'll stick with awesomeness like Saga, Uber, Chew (which deserves all the love) and Walking Dead.

Just read Secret Wars 1-4. Also reading Old Man Logan and X-Men '92. Picked up the first issue of E is for Extinction because the artist signed it for me and may pick up Civil War. All I can say about this whole thing is
i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

It feels like one giant "What If" issue. I can't really make heads or tails of where everything is going lol

Thought I'd share this here :) It is quite funny :LOL:
Just a friendly jab. Nothing serious here.
[Spoiler Warning] for Spiderman/Deadpool #6 comic

"In the issue, the duo take on Marvel’s minor schism with its X-Men property, as a dejected Wolverine and Storm feel the cold shoulder from Daredevil and Captain America. The issue also has Spidey and the Merc with a Mouth leaving a showing of “Nighthawk V. Hyperion: Yawn of Boredom” ( Nighthawk and Hyperion being analogues for Batman and Superman, respectively). The mouthy duo takes shots at Batman V Superman’s overstuffed and confusing nature .

Far from a stab at DC alone, the issue actually takes aim at superhero films in general , smashing the fourth wall in classic Deadpool/Spidey fashion . The tale unravels after a new baddie, the Salmon Stuntman, tips Wade Wilson off about being the subject of his own Hollywood film. Seeking the help of his “sellout” Web-head cohort, he heads to tinsel town to straighten things out. Along the way, they discover the Salmon Stuntman’s scheme to replace the film’s practical effects with digital ones."

Source: Screenrant

69408330876626543992.jpg

68582673061872142177.jpg

@bloodsnake007 @DADDYCOOL187 @Apollon @digitalbabe @C.C. 95 @Actarus @harry @tridon

Attachments

• marvel_vs_dc-1280x960.png
    marvel_vs_dc-1280x960.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 493