Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
Metal Gear Solid: Rising​ is an upcoming action video game in the Metal Gear series by Kojima Productions. The game was announced at the Microsoft E3 2009 press conference, and is in development for PlayStation 3.

The series' former tagline, "Tactical Espionage Action", has been replaced by "Lightning Bolt Action", to fit the new protagonist, Raiden; the word raiden is Japanese for "thunder and lightning". Rising is an interquel set between the events of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Box Art Coming

Gameplay:

Players assume control of Raiden, protagonist of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and supporting character in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Like previous titles in the Metal Gear series, Rising is a stealth action game, however creative producer Shigenobu Matsuyama notes that development is focused less on stealth and more on swordfighting action, giving players the opportunity to engage enemies in direct battle if they wish. Players will still have a degree of freedom to play the game as a stealth title, though the stealth elements will emphasize Raiden's considerable speed and agility, and will "involve heights." Director Mineshi Kimura has also stated that Rising would carry on the series tradition of encouraging players to progress through the game without killing, noting that there is a moral difference between attacking cyborgs or robots and attacking human beings, and that there's a "certain virtue to simply disabling your enemies instead of killing them."

A key gameplay feature for the game is titled zan-datsu, which involves "cutting" through enemies and "taking" parts from the bodies of dismembered cyborgs and robots. Things which can be taken include life, energy, parts, ammunition, items, and occasionally information. For example, in the E3 2010 trailer, Raiden tears a battery — in the form of a glowing mechanical spine — from a dismembered cyborg enemy, which he then crushes after absorbing energy from it to heal himself.

"Cutting" entails sophisticated swordplay that lets players engage in third person melee combat, as well as precisely slash enemies and objects "at will" along a geometrical plane using a "free slicing" mode. Virtually any object in the game can be cut, including vehicles and enemies, though elements of the environment were intentionally limited to structures such as pillars and walls to better facilitate gameplay. The free slicing mode is similar to other aiming modes in previous Metal Gear Solid titles, but produces a special targeting reticule in the form of a transparent blue plane which can be rotated and moved, tracing orange lines across the surfaces of objects to indicate exactly where they will be cut; it can also be used to enter a bullet time state, giving players the opportunity to precisely slash targets during moments of action, such as slicing through a falling target from multiple angles before it hits the ground. These features can be employed strategically, for example disabling opponents, finding weak points and gaps in armor, severing support columns to collapse ceilings or walls onto enemies, deflecting enemy fire, or cutting through objects to remove enemy cover. This is particularily important when facing cyborgs and robots, as cutting through different areas of their bodies will allow you to take different mechanical parts from within. Although Raiden's main weapon will be his high-frequency blade, he will also have "sub-weapons", Kimura revealed; gameplay footage has briefly shown Raiden wielding a dagger in his left hand.

Plot:

Metal Gear Solid: Rising chronicles the series of events that resulted in the transformation of Raiden, the protagonist and player character of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, into his cyborg ninja persona, first seen in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Metal Gear Solid: Rising takes place during a point in the series' chronology at which Raiden has already begun his transformation into cyborg form, albeit with a different and somewhat more cruel appearance from the one seen in Metal Gear Solid 4, and will show how Raiden changes from his "Rising self" into his "MGS4 self."

While Kimura has been unable to reveal concrete details about the game's plot, teasers have depicted Raiden's body with portions of the body armor missing, and in his Metal Gear Solid 4 armor with sword drawn, crouching on the back of what appears to be Crying Wolf. The E3 2010 trailer depicts Raiden fighting a humanoid enemy equipped with a cybernetic exoskeleton similar to those worn by Metal Gear Solid 4's Beauty and the Beast Corps, which also bleeds the same artificial white blood that Raiden uses. Gameplay sequences also showed him fighting human PMC soldiers.

Screens:

500x_mgsscreen.jpg

500x_mgsr1-w1000.jpg

500x_mgsr2-w1000.jpg

500x_mgsr3-w1000.jpg

500x_mgsr5-w1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kojima Focused on PSP Metal Gear
Series father taking more hands-off approach for Rising.
by John Tanaka

June 3, 2009 - With two Metal Gear Solid games on the way, you might be wondering how Hideo Kojima is going to have time to enjoy is high class Roppongi Hills apartment.

The answer was revealed today in Famitsu. While we're certain Kojima is going to be kept mighty busy either way, he's actually only fully involved with Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker. The Metal Gear series father is serving as director, producer and game designer on the PSP title.

As for Metal Gear Solid Rising (confirmed in Famitsu to be for Xbox 360 and PS3), Kojima is serving as producer along side Kenichiro Imaizumi. He told the magazine, "I'm not the director. I'm not doing game design either. Although, I do issue complaints (laughs). But, not too much."

Sadly, the magazine did not share staff details on Rising. Perhaps Konami will provide specifics at its E3 press briefing Wednesday afternoon?

Kojima's comments appear in this week's issue of Famitsu. They also appeared in last week's issue, but as you might recall, they were censored out so that no one could actually read them. This week, the magazine reprinted the parts that had been blocked out, filling in all the blanks.

Rising and Peace Walker have both been unveiled since then, but there are still some passages of interest in the fully readable version of the interview.

Of particular note is that Kojima refers to both games as "Metal Gear Solid 5." He describes Rising as a "next generation MGS5." He describes Peace Walker as "The MGS5 Inside me."

Kojima was referring to Peace Walker when he was describing a game that would be focused on the Japanese market but that would be released worldwide.

Given the response that both games have gotten following their press conference debuts, we have a feeling they'll both do pretty well throughout the world.

Kojima: MGS Rising will create new users

Hideo Kojima has tweeted that upcoming ‘lightning bolt action’ romp Metal Gear Solid: Rising will attract fresh users to the series as it is being created by an entirely new development team.

“The next MGS… 'RISING' ... will create new users, be developed by the new generation, a new MGS,” said Kojima, who serves as producer on the new title.

On the flip side, the PSP entry Peace Walker is a classic MGS experience, and one that the Kojima Productions boss is more involved with in comparison to Rising:

“But on the other hand, [Peace Walker] is made by Hideo Kojima, a new but classical MGS. PW is a new type of game design and experimental for future endeavors,” he added.

“So it is hard to say it will finish with one game…”

did anyone else get the feel that this video just didnt have the feel of a MGS game? i dont know if i can really talk that much having only played 2 and 4, but it just felt different, especially looking at that bad guy in the beginning with the gun.

i dunno, maybe its just me. the game still could be a lot of fun of course

Kojima will still work on MGS games

Konami USA has confirmed to Shacknews that "Hideo Kojima will continue working on Metal Gear Solid games," though the company would not clarify if this meant Kojima would be writing or directing future entries.

During the E3 2010 roundtable discussion with Shigenobu Matsuyama, the producer of Metal Gear Solid Rising, a question was raised about Rising's place within the Metal Gear Solid canon.

To this, Mr. Matsuyama's response, via translator, seemed to hint the franchise creator Hideo Kojima might not be done with MGS.
I've been asked a lot, 'Is this going to be a side-story or spin-off to the MGS series?', but what I'm positioning is that there will be a Hideo Kojima game that is MGS, but what we are planning as Kojima Productions is have this Raiden Rising as almost as a standard so that there's an MGS and the Rising going back-and-forth in the future."
While Konami's confirmation could be referring to the Metal Gear Solid 3 project for the Nintendo 3DS, it is likely that Kojima will be working on new projects in the Metal Gear Solid universe not based on existing titles. Given the developer's history of claiming an MGS project was his last and directing another, this isn't a huge jump in logic. Metal Gear Solid 4 was to be the last MGS game directed by Kojima, but he then went on to write, direct, and produce the recently released Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

While no announcement was made at E3 2010 with regards to Kojima's next project, perhaps we may hear something at Tokyo Game Show 2010 this fall. It will also be interesting to see if the next game goes multiplatform as Kojima Productions is already developing a PS3, Xbox 360, and PC engine for MGS Rising.

Kojima is the executive producer on Metal Gear Solid Rising, which is an action game set between Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 featuring Raiden as the main character. A version of Metal Gear Solid 3 is in the pipe for Nintendo's new 3DS handheld, as well. He is also serving as executive producer for Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, which is in development at Spain-based MercurySteam Entertainment.

shacknews.com/onearticle.x/64502?

did anyone else get the feel that this video just didnt have the feel of a MGS game? i dont know if i can really talk that much having only played 2 and 4, but it just felt different, especially looking at that bad guy in the beginning with the gun.

i dunno, maybe its just me. the game still could be a lot of fun of course

Could be because the sneaking element doesn't seem to play a big role with this game?

In the latest edition of the Kojima Productions podcast, the hosts have confirmed that Metal Gear Solid Rising is still a stealth title despite the focus on cutting in the E3 2010 trailer. In the first few minutes of the latest podcast, Kojima Productions had this to say:

"It's not your typical Metal Gear, where you have this arsenal of guns, it's a completely different potion now," said the host Sean Eyestone.

He continued, "One thing we do want to emphasize though, is we're not forgetting stealth...We wanted to show the new Zandatsu (cutting) system, but that doesn't mean we're going to abandon stealth, but it'll be faster paced stealth."

Kojima Productions also once again confirmed that this title is called Metal Gear SOLID Rising, because Solid refers to the fact that the game is 3D and not because Solid Snake is the protagonist.

ps3center.net//news/4617/kojipro-confirms-mgs-rising-still-a-stealth-game/

MGS: Rising won't see many returning characters

Metal Gear Solid: Rising producer Shigenobu Matsuyama has confirmed that fans shouldn’t expect to see too many familiar faces pop up in the ‘Lightning Bolt Action’ gore fest.

Chatting with the folks at gamesTM, Matsuyama revealed that the decision came down to the fact the team want MGS newcomers to hop in to the driving seat without worrying about acquainting themselves with the series’ extensive background.

“To answer you question about returning characters, we’re probably not going to show too many characters in Rising because, since it’s a new part of a series, we don’t really want to refer to and dwell upon the Metal Gear sago so much,” he said.

“We want newcomers to the game to come in and play freely without needing to know and understand the background of the whole Metal Gear Solid universe.”

Rising takes place between MGS2 and MGS4, with players hopping in to the shoes of the floppy-haired Ninja-esque Raiden. A release date for the project has yet to be announced.

Can complete game without a kill!

The Metal Gear Solid series has always allowed players to stealthily make their way through the games without killing a single fool. The upcoming Metal Gear Solid: Rising will continue this proud tradition when it is released next year. At Gamescom today Konami confirmed that we'll be able to slice our way to the end of Rising without killing a single human.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising is all about slicing stuff up with your katana. People, cyborgs, buildings, sushi -- nothing is unsliceable. Surely the ability to cut the crap out of everything will be very tempting… Maybe there will be achievements/trophies in it for those who exercise restraint and make it to the end without ending a human life. Konami says you will never be rewarded for killing humans in Rising. When you encounter human resistance you can slice their weapons in half, causing them to run away in fear. If you accidentally slice off a hand or two, well, that will be forgiven, we are told.

There are plenty of enemies you can kill and still achieve a no-kill game. Rising is full of cyborgs and mechs, so feel free to slice them to your heart's content.

The character you control in Rising, Raiden, is almost the total opposite of usual MGS protagonist Snake and his style of stealth will be quite different. Raiden is a very acrobatic ninja. While Snake would wait patiently for an enemy to walk by, Raiden won't be standing around twiddling his thumbs. He can move undetected and easily sneak up on enemies while remaining in stealth mode. Konami calls this "hunting stealth." This is all in line with Konami's attempts to make Rising a friendlier game to pick up, hopefully making it more attractive to a wider audience.

Rising director: MGS story is too complex, not focus of Rising

While Metal Gear Solid 4 was extremely well received by critics, one consistent point of contention with the entire franchise has been its use of cinematics. It isn't uncommon for players to be sidelined for 20 minutes at a time while the games' stories progress.

Idle thumbs may become more active in the latest entry of the highly venerated franchise, though. According to Metal Gear Solid: Rising director Shigenobu Matsuyama, Rising's cut-scenes will be significantly shorter, while the story will take a backseat to the action.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Matsuyama agreed the that the convoluted Metal Gear universe had become "mental" with recent iterations and will not be a focus of Rising. "I'm not saying the story is not important, but that was specifically tailored by Hideo Kojima. Since I'm not him, I'm not going to base my game on a very heavy scene. The story will not be in the centre. It's more katana action. I have to play a different style," he explained.

Fans of Metal Gear's complex lore shouldn't take that to mean the narrative will be low quality, though. Matsuyama said, "The story will be there, because I believe (in) a good-quality story background."

With the doors to the Tokyo Game Show opening later this week, expect Konami to show off more on Rising then.

MGS: Rising will see "several" returning characters

Shigenobu Matsuyama, producer on Metal Gear Solid: Rising, has let slip that fans can expect “several” past characters from Hideo Kojima’s stealth-action franchise to pop up during the course of the game.

Oddly enough this seemingly contradicts previous claims from the developer, who said earlier this year that we shouldn’t expect many familiar faces to show up in Raiden’s ‘Lightning Bolt Action’ fest.

“There is one rumour about some characters in the past Metal Gear Solid series that will be coming out in MGS: Rising,” Matsuyama told Gamespot.

“I can’t tell you who they are at this stage, but I can confirm the number. It’s not just one person or one character, there’ll be maybe not so many, but they’ll be several characters that you know off from the MGS franchise that will make a return in MGS: Rising.”

Rising serves as a prequel to the events of MGS4 and sees players hopping in to the shoes of the silver-haired Raiden, who appears kitted out in his Ninja getup from Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising is currently in the works for PS3. A release date has yet to be determined.

MGS: Rising not out until 2012?

According to a report over on Kotaku, Konami’s hotly anticipated ‘Lightning Bolt Action’ fest Metal Gear Solid: Rising won’t see the light of day until 2012.

The game was first unveiled at E3 2009 and stars Metal Gear Solid 2’s floppy-haired hero Raiden in an adventure that bridges the gap between Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Konami has remained relatively tight-lipped on the project up until recently, though it was assumed by many that the game would be out next year. Apparently, this is no longer the case.

Nonetheless, Rising's producer Shigenobu Matsuyama has promised us more details on the game's story during the project’s next big reveal, so stay tuned for further information.