Premium Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Guildford, England
Release date: October 25, 2021
Purchase links: Amazon UK
Price: £200.00

81hbN5pJ4HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this set exclusive to Amazon? Just over a month until release and it's the only retailer with a preorder up??

Still cant make my bloody mind up whether I want this or not!

I've just purchased the individual 4K digipacks from Zavvi, £57.99 each, use code GSG15 to get 15% off orders over £60, works out to just under £50 each.

This is really disappointing. I was hoping for at least all the previous extras from earlier sets. May as well just buy the basic 4k releases and hold on to the previous ones with the extras that I already have.

No doubt there will be a super extra mega ultimate edition along in 4 years with what we really want.

This is really disappointing. I was hoping for at least all the previous extras from earlier sets. May as well just buy the basic 4k releases and hold on to the previous ones with the extras that I already have.

No doubt there will be a super extra mega ultimate edition along in 4 years with what we really want.
i still think this is the best edition released of these films (notwithstanding it doesn't have 4K, for those who want that), and may well be the best ever released. all the original extras, beutifuil presenattion, great look and feel. compared to that, this 'ultimate' edition seems so lacklustre.

Im sorry but this is really not the ‘Ultimate edition’

If you own the original Extended Films bluray boxset and the you bought the 4K’s that were recently released then you already have the ultimate versions of these movies.

Someone posted this and I honestly thought it was real but unfortunately it is not...:(
I would have totally gotten this (if they added steelbooks or Fullslips)
E8YETxgXEAQSi37.jpg.dccbbdf47516e2203af2605a7603a787.jpg

i still think this is the best edition released of these films (notwithstanding it doesn't have 4K, for those who want that), and may well be the best ever released. all the original extras, beutifuil presenattion, great look and feel. compared to that, this 'ultimate' edition seems so lacklustre.

I wanted this edition, I saw a sh*t load a while back on ebay for prices like 150$ some for 130$ which is really low.
Guess they selling it because Zeta is releasing their gold label, the wooden case is still the best and most complete edition I have seen so far.

Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Film releases are not just Physical Media
You include Digital Purchases

Most public now use streaming and do digital purchases in regards to Films and Music as to if you like that or not it still counts

There is more 4K content available with streaming platforms than you have available on UHD discs
You better get used to this as that is how lot of people now watch films and listen to music
In some cases you get better picture quality as some content is available to stream in HD or 4K and but physical media release is only on DVD or not available on Physical media anymore or was VHS previously and never even got a DVD or Blu-ray release

I'm sorry, it was late to answer that day, and then I forgot. But you raise some important subjects that physical media collectors are usually arguing about for years.
Digital purchases are a kind of a lie for suckers, unless you can, at least, download a copy and keep and watch it forever on any player and device, without any attachments to a service, app, subscriptions, check ups, or internet connection. Don't know if that's offered by anyone, I don't keep up with such services.
Keeping something 'in the cloud', where it can disappear or be altered at any time is just stupid. It's also often of worse quality, than on disc, or even a ripped and compressed version off of a disc - I’ve compared some movies and TV series.
So when something is not available to buy on disc, I don't pay for a digital copy, but shamelessly download a copy (Amazon rips seem to be the best of 1080p, Hulu, Disney, Apple, HBO 2160p are great too), and keep them on thin portable external HDDs, and consider them a part of my collection.
How can one not, if they release first few seasons on Blu-ray (Ray Donovan for example), sometimes all, but the last (Homeland, Strike Back, The Strain), and you're supposed to what, buy it in worse quality on DVD? No, screw them!

All they did, is lose trust of collectors, buying seasons as they come out, which turns to even lower sales, and thus even less releases.

People may like to masturbate in their own feces, doesn't mean I have to get used to it. EEK!:BS:
(This coarseness is not directed at you personally, but at the whole situation in general.)

This why you see Netflix/Amazon/Apple TV/HBO and other streaming platforms now fund and produce a lot of Films and TV content and you will see lot more happen some will be big budget releases
Yeah, I know that every fridge now has its own 'original series'. :spoil:
I can't complain about that, though, as some good TV series were 'saved', and there's generally more freedom in regards to ratings and running time, something that used to be only on 'cable' channels like HBO and Showtime. :thumbs:

This is so disappointing! I’m glad I cancelled my order. I’ll stick with my previous collectors edition bookshelf and just update the discs when they are a good price.

Oh my god...
Remember I was asking what's that inside, digipacks? Why aren't they showing... well, if they're not showing, it's because it's just regular amarays with slips! It's good I've canceled a while ago, deciding I don't like this genre at all (fantasy), and barely the movies themselves, to buy them for 6th time.
The booklet is nice, but a fan would buy at least one proper big artbook, of which there are many, I'm sure.
I'd buy a smaller, simpler, cheaper edition with just those cards and a new bonus disc, but not this $200 box.

P.S. The guy in the video didn't show the other sides of the boxes. Official promos showed you can display them in various configurations, so they should separate, he didn't even try.

Thankfully the discs aren't in sleeves at least..
I wish they were in sleeves of a digibook.

This is so disappointing! I’m glad I cancelled my order. I’ll stick with my previous collectors edition bookshelf and just update the discs when they are a good price.
Get the steelbooks with UHD discs.

Kinda wish I'd gotten the steelbooks now, but I guess there will eventually be WEA releases, which will look better than any of this rubbish. Still glad i sold my blu ray/DVD set of LOTR and oddly got more than I paid for them, despite being open.

Well that's rather disappointing, and after all that wait after the inital 4k release. I think the art on the individual films is nicely done and themed together, but did think they looked like little boxes and not slipcovers.
Not sure if all the discs in a foldy box quite counts as "ultimate" but maybe this will satisfy those who just want everything in one package... with 200 quid to spare for it that is?
Surprising to have so many releases for this new master, and no option so far for just the extended LOTR trilogy on blu-ray and 4k. Lots of mix and matching to be done it seems :squint:

Not sure if all the discs in a foldy box quite counts as "ultimate" but maybe this will satisfy those who just want everything in one package... with 200 quid to spare for it that is?
It's missing 21 discs of bonus material, so it's not everything, but rather 'almost nothing.'

I was thinking who this release is for, and it must be exactly a cash grab, to milk us collectors for more, because it can't satisfy a first time, or a one time buyer, or be the ultimate gift, but for someone like us, who already have all the previous bonus materials, they think might bite for new packaging, booklet, and exclusive bonus disc. I almost did.
Then again, they should have invested more into said packaging, if they wanted freaks like us to buy it. As is, this release is for no one. Or those who only want the movies, haven't seen anything better, and worst of all, prefer amarays with slips (you crazies are out there, I know).