Mar 15, 2011
Morgantown, WV
Mindhunter - Netflix

Releasing in October 2017

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: David Fincher, Charlize Theron, Jennifer Erwin
WRITERS: John Douglas, Joe Penhall
CAST: Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, Cotter Smith, Anna Torv, Muse Watson

From IMDb:
An agent in the FBI's Elite Serial Crime Unit tracks down serial killers and rapists.

From Deadline:
The House of Cards executive producer/director David Fincher is expanding his Netflix portfolio with a second drama series, Mindhunter, we have learned. Like House of Cards, which Fincher developed with Kevin Spacey, on Mindhunter the Gone Girl and The Social Network director also is collaborating with an Oscar-winning actor, Charlize Theron. Also like with House of Card‘s Beau Willimon, we hear Fincher has recruited a playwright/screenwriter for the new series, Brit Joe Penhall (Sunny Afternoon).

Fincher and Theron will executive produce the series, which is based on the 1996 book Mind Hunter: Inside the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit, by former special agent John Douglas and Mark Olshaker. For years, Douglas pursued some of the most notorious serial killers and rapists, developing profiling techniques to catch them. The book goes behind the scenes of some of his highest-profile cases, including the man who hunted prostitutes in Alaska, the Atlanta child murderer, and Seattle’s Green River killer. To hone in his profiling methods Douglas interviewed and studied a skew of serial killers. Several book and TV characters have been based in part on him, including Jack Crawford in Thomas Harris’ The Silence of the Lambs, Will Graham on Hannibal and Jason Gideon on Criminal Minds.

Series was filmed in western Pennsylvania and wrapped production in February 2017.
mindhunter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: earthscope
You are 100% correct, but I liked the cast ...
Yeah -it was a good cast....but I'll take William Peterson, Brian Cox, Tom Noonan, Stephen Lang and Dennis Farina any day!
(And even though I loved the show Hannibal - I didn't dig their take on Red Dragon either)
Manhunter is actually the first movie of its kind. There was never a film before it that used Forensic criminology, or had a character immerse himself into the killer's pathology.
B06E33B4-4096-4E54-818E-0658FC5F4B1B.jpeg

Yeah -it was a good cast....but I'll take William Peterson, Brian Cox, Tom Noonan, Stephen Lang and Dennis Farina any day!
(And even though I loved the show Hannibal - I didn't dig their take on Red Dragon either)
Manhunter is actually the first movie of its kind. There was never a film before it that used Forensic criminology, or had a character immerse himself into the killer's pathology.
View attachment 440597

... plus it had :

Watched the first 2 episodes so far and its REALLY good!!!
As a huge Fringe fan, the addition to the cast this season has me very happy!

BAD NEWS... Season 3 is in limbo:
The cast have been released from their contracts & season 3 has been put on “indefinite hold” due to director David Fincher’s “hectic schedule”.

• Wow
Reactions: Noodles
The cast have been released from their contracts & season 3 has been put on “indefinite hold” due to director David Fincher’s “hectic schedule”.
Great. It’ll be like Twin Peaks - we’ll see you again in 26 years!

That's a shame, as I personally think it's the only series in recent years that's consistently great and extremely gripping!

Still, I guess the good news is that Fincher's obviously working on other stuff which we'll eventually get to see, so it's not all bad. :D

Reactions: snow flake
It's been 4 years already.
Are the first two seasons self-contained more or less, and watchable on their own?

Without giving away too much I would say its 80 percent self contained..some threads are resolved in their entirety. This is pretty much top tier entertainment. Anyone who likes Fincher, especially say Zodiac will get something from this.