Mirror's Edge Megathread - Sequel in Development.

Jan 29, 2009
Mirror's Edge is a first person action-adventure video game developed by EA Digital Illusions CE and published by Electronic Arts. The game was released on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in November 2008. A Windows version was also released on January 13, 2009.[10]

The game was announced on July 10, 2007, and is powered by the Unreal Engine 3 with the addition of a new lighting solution, developed by Illuminate Labs in association with DICE.[2] The game has a realistic, brightly-colored style and differs from most other first-person perspective video games in allowing for a wider range of actions—such as sliding under barriers, tumbling, wall-running, and shimmying across ledges—and greater freedom of movement, in having no HUD, and in allowing the legs, arms, and torso of the character to be visible on-screen.[11]

The game is set in a society where communication is heavily monitored by a totalitarian regime, and so a network of runners, including the main character, Faith, are used to transmit messages while evading government surveillance

Mirror's Edge aims to "convey the strain and physical contact with the environment", according to senior producer Owen O'Brien, and to instill a freedom of movement not yet seen in the first-person genre.[12][13] This is achieved not only with the exercise of parkour, but also by tying camera movement more closely with character movement, such that the rate at which the camera bobs up and down increases as Faith builds up speed while running and the camera spins when she rolls.[14][15]
Mirror's Edge features a realistic first-person view and hand-to-hand combat.

Also, the arms, legs, and even torso at times are prominent and their visibility is used to convey movement and momentum, such that Faith's arms pump and the length of her steps increase with her gait, and her legs cycle and arms flail during long jumps.[11][14]

95711-bigposter_knqmg.jpg

With such a heavy focus on movement, it is imperative to maintain momentum, which is done by a fluid flow of actions, creating a chain of moves.[16] Failing to string these moves together results in a loss of momentum, which can mean that Faith falls off or short of an object if a certain level of momentum is required to traverse it.[17] Controls are simplified by being context-sensitive; the "up" button will cause Faith to traverse an obstacle by passing over it—for example, by jumping, vaulting, climbing, or grabbing set pieces like zip lines—while the "down" button will cause her to perform other manoeuvres like slides or rolls, or simply crouch.[17][18] In order to assist the player in creating these chains of moves, the game employs a system called "Runner Vision", which derives its name from its purpose: to depict the environment the way a runner would see it, instantly recognizing escape routes. It is a highlighting system that emphasises environmental pieces useful for progression—like pipes, ramps, and enterable doors—with the color red as Faith approaches, though it does not always indicate the best route.[17] Further along in the game, the number of these visual hints is reduced to only indicate the end goal, though the player can opt to turn off this hint system entirely.[16] It will also be used to create puzzles in which the player must figure out how to combine the highlighted set pieces into a chain of moves in order to reach the target.[17] Another means of assistance to the player is a system called "Reaction Time", which is a form of bullet time that allows the player time to plan where to go next without losing momentum, as well as making the timing of jumps and disarms easier.[18]

Although the player character can hold weapons, O'Brien stressed that "this is an action adventure. We're not positioning this as a shooter - the focus isn't on the gun, it's on the person." Gameplay in Mirror's Edge will focus on finding the best route through the game's environments while combat takes a secondary role. In fact, on the E3 'Gameplay Walkthrough' O'Brien says that going through the game without shooting a single enemy unlocks an achievement,[12] "Test of Faith"[19] Consequently, guns may be obtained by disarming an enemy, but when the magazine is empty, it will need to be discarded.[16] Additionally, carrying a weapon slows Faith down and the heavier the gun, the more it hinders her movement, which introduces an element of strategy in determining when to trade agility for short-term firepower.[12][17]

To increase the longevity of the game, there are 3 packages (bags) hidden in each level for the player to find to unlock extras, as well as a time attack mode where the player will try to complete small portions of a level as fast as possible. Online leaderboards as well as red "ghost runners" allow the player see their fastest routes or the routes of other people on the leaderboard

Last edited by a moderator:
mirrors_edge_15.jpg

Mirrors Edge might have not lived up to all the hype or expectations, but it’s still a great game and deserves a sequel. Mirrors Edge was one of those games that I was really excited for, then because of the so-so reviews decided to pass it up until recently when I saw it on sale on Steam.

My initial feeling when I started playing was sorta like I was in the Matrix and was being chased by agents. Actually that would have been a much better story-line than the one in the game. It was very cheesy with a ton of cliches that sorta ruined the atmosphere of the game and the cell shading really didn’t help either considering the rest of the game wasn’t cell shaded.

What EA needs to do is lose the cell shading and simplify the story-line. There’s no need to make some convoluted story about your sister being setup, evil corporations, corrupt cops and wrestler politicians.

Apart from the crappy story line and cell shading I actually loved the game. The fact that you could combo moves into other moves really felt like you had some freedom to do what you wanted. My one issue with the gameplay was I never was able to master the disarm move. I’d run up to someone and see the gun turn red, then start pounding on the right click button, but it seemed like I would only get a success rate of about 1 out of 3. Even with slow motion I wouldn’t always get it.

What I would like to see in Mirros Edge 2 is a completely open city similar to GTA where you have freedom to travel anywhere at anytime. I think this would be a pretty natural next step for Mirrors Edge giving its play style. They also need to revamp the shooting cause it was pretty bad. I know shooting is not supposed to be a big part of the game and I don’t want it to, but the aiming and movement felt off whenever I held a weapon. Maybe give her a knife or something. One thing I don’t want to change is the clean corporate city, there are so many dirty, dark, gritty FPS out there it’s really a breath of fresh air to play a game that’s bright and vibrant.

EA has stated in the past that the Mirrors Edge story was cut up into 3 parts which means there should be a Mirrors Edge 2 & 3, however after a rocky start who knows. EA has yet to confirm they are working on a sequel or even that a sequel is planned. Mirrors Edge did break the 1 million sales mark back in Feb, far short of the 3 million projected, but hopefully that will be enough for EA to give Mirrors Edge another chance

'Small team' developing Mirror's Edge 2, says EA

Electronic Arts has confirmed that a ?small team? has been assigned to carry out development of parkour-inspired adventure sequel, Mirror?s Edge 2.

Speaking with VideoGamer.com during the E3 convention in Los Angeles last week, EA Games Europe senior vice president Patrick Soderlund confirmed that a sequel to the stylish first person outing is in the works, though didn?t shy away from admitting the original game had its faults.

?Mirror?s Edge was a risky move. It was a bold move, a very innovative and inspiring move. The game wasn?t perfect by any means. We would have liked the game to sell better even though the game has sold better than most people think,? said Soderlund.

?You will see another Mirror?s Edge for sure. It?s just a matter of when that time is and what we do with it. We have a small team on it and I?m excited about what we do.?

Unfortunately that?s about all Soderlund was able to divulge on the sequel. Stay tuned.

I have it, $20 bucks is about right for it.. Good luck on the trophies, they weren't the most fun to go back and get.

I have it, $20 bucks is about right for it.. Good luck on the trophies, they weren't the most fun to go back and get.

I wont get the DLC ones for sure. And I probably wont get the time trial ones. I might get the one for the two run troughs depending on how I like the game.

No plans for new Mirror's Edge DLC, says EA

Electronic Arts? senior PR manager Kelly Ekins has said the firm has no plans to release any further downloadable content for parkour-inspired adventure romp, Mirror?s Edge.

Speaking to That Videogame Blog, Ekins stated, ?There are no immediate plans for future DLC for Mirror?s Edge.? The first an only batch of DLC for the game was released back in February, offering seven new Time Trial maps.

Developed by EA Digital Illusions CE (better known as DICE), Mirror?s Edge takes place in sprawling metropolis ruled by a totalitarian government, with players assuming control of a nimble ?runner? named Faith, who is in pursuit of her missing sister.