MLB 09: The Show Megathread - Full 1080p at 60FPS!

Jan 29, 2009
MLB 09: The Show is a baseball simulation video game produced by Sony Computer Entertainment for the PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Portable systems.[1] It belongs to the longest-running officially licensed Major League Baseball game series on the PlayStation systems. MLB 09: The Show is the fourth edition of the MLB: The Show series.[1]

The game is a baseball simulation in which, depending on the gameplay mode, the player controls one or all of the players on a Major League Baseball team or some select Minor League Baseball teams. Depending on the gameplay mode, the player may control a team for a single game, season, or franchise, and can also create a player and control his career.

3228851899_0f6a4b816a.jpg

New and updated features

MLB 09: The Show improved and added many features to the previous 08 edition.[3] The franchise and career modes were improved with Road to the Show 3.0, which updated popular mode with an all-new steal and lead-off system, and more interaction with the player's coaches; Franchise 2.0 added several new features to its career mode including salary arbitration, waiver transactions, September call-ups, and the 40-man roster. Also receiving an update was the game's online league play, including flex scheduling to allow players to play out-of-order games, and Roster Vault option to allow gamers can create their own custom rosters and upload them online for other gamers to use. The game also allowed gamers to store their favorite songs to their PlayStation 3 and assign them to be played at various points in the game, including a batter's walk-up animation. Players may also create custom taunts.[3]

Among the in-game improvements included "Hotshot Fielding", which allowed more dynamic fielder reactions and animations, as well as improved bare-handed flips, "Progressive Batting Performance", in which player abilities improve or regress depending on how the gamer plays. With "Multi-Branch Fielding", players could now take full control of fielders and break out of any animation in the process, while "Adaptive Pitching Intelligence" (API) allowed catchers to call the game based on individual strengths and weaknesses of each pitcher and analyze tendencies of batters. The game also accurately graphically reflected the pitch being thrown on the pitcher's hand, and included 17 different pitch types including five fastball variations (four-seamer, two-seamer, cutter, splitter, sinker), five breaking pitches (10-4 curve, 12-6 curve, slider, slurve, screwball), four change-ups (straight, circle change-up, palmball, forkball), and three specialty pitches (knuckle, knuckle-curve, and the gyro). The "Pitch Command System" (PCS) affected a pitchers' abilities to throw a specific pitch change depending on how often the pitcher throws it. Umpire personalities have been tweaked further as well.[3]

The game also featured pitch analysis, a breakdown of all the pitches thrown during the current game being played, which allowed gamers to be able to sort a pitcher by LHB or RHB, pitch type and result. This feature is also available for batters, and the batter analysis allowed for a breakdown of how a batter had performed based on LHP or RHP, Pitch Type, and result. SportsConnect Online User Tracking (SCOUT) allowed gamers to set their game preferences, store them on the server, and then allowed the system to look for a Quick Match with an opponent that fits their criteria.[3]

The game also featured live MLB updates in-game, as well as SportsConnect Headline News.

Last edited:
Still not sure whether I'll get this. Got '08 already and love it, but unless alot you guys get it to where I'll play it alot I just don't know.

Just sold 08 online for $21.50. Target gave me $40 for a pricing error, makes this game free!!!

And I'm already in a league, don't know if I could do two..

Hard drives are like arteries -- when they're clogged, you've got a problem.

Are you a big baseball fan? If so, it might be time to upgrade your hard drive. When our review copy of MLB 09: The Show floated into our mailbox today, we were a bit disappointed to discover that it, like so many other recent games, has a mandatory 5GB install. While installs often benefit loading times and game stability, it's no fun when you have to delete other media, downloadable games, and other content to make room for a new install. We certainly wouldn't mind having one of those 500GB HDDs handy right now.

Stay tuned for our upcoming MLB 09: The Show review.

WOHOO!! Just got my game in.. I paid $21... but they put $40 on my card for messing up my item, plus I got $20 from MLB 08, so I got paid to buy this game!!! I'm very happy now!

So, wow, today is a good day so far. I have my Copy of MLB in hand, and was just credited a refund for the full purchase price of the game. Thank you!

Hopefully this year is better, I quit last year because the lag was unbearable...

let me know what you think cali. im pretty sure ill eventually pick this game up, just gotta convince the wife why i want "another" video game :D

we just filed our taxes today and we got a BUNCH more back than we anticipated, so i went to go pick this game up today. will be firing it up tonight.

so i really suck at this game and am getting pretty frustrated. i know that just like in real baseball, you can't have high scoring games every time you play. but the last like 4 games ive played i haven't been able to get like any hits, and its a pitchers duel until like the 7th when the computer just decides its able to hit any pitch i throw at it.

on top of that, when i stop the gauge perfectly for a "perfect pitch," many times the pitcher throws something WAAAY away from where I located it. that makes me really really upset because i feel like its hard enough to stop that line perfectly, but when i nail it, it SHOULD be a perfect pitch.

on top of that its next to impossible to get a lot of strikeouts in this game, even with a stud pitcher. maybe its just me and i suck, but when im ahead in the count on 2 strikes ill throw a pitch just barely out of the zone and the guy lays off it like its a 3-0 count. i mean COME ON. at least check your swing, hit a foul ball. i watch a lot of baseball and almost NO ONE can lay off a pitch just outside the zone when behind 2 strikes. and its not like im facing pujols or something, im against guys like garret atkins.

sorry, i just had to vent cause im pretty frustrated with this game right now. even the umpire is screwing me over every game.

Do you let the meter go all the way to the red also? How about wind speed? I've noticed sometimes even with lining it up perfectly on the yellow accuracy part my pitches will be off sometimes too. I tried stopping the meter before the red section and then it was spot on. Just depends I guess. Then I'll go back to stopping in the red and I'll be fine.

Do you let the meter go all the way to the red also? How about wind speed? I've noticed sometimes even with lining it up perfectly on the yellow accuracy part my pitches will be off sometimes too. I tried stopping the meter before the red section and then it was spot on. Just depends I guess. Then I'll go back to stopping in the red and I'll be fine.

it doesn't matter where i stop the meter sometimes its just way off. im playing right now and i stopped it dead center yellow and right on the line with a fastball down and it ended up. im playing in miller park so wind shouldn't really be an issue.

Did you stop it the first time in the red? That is pretty far off too. I've had fast ball pitches go high when I aim in the middle but from the bottom of the strike zone to the top, can't say that's happened to me.

MLB 09: The Show Servers Closing Down Soon

Sony’s San Diego Studio has announced via an in-game message that the servers for MLB 09: The Show will go offline permanently on March 17. Although this is a yearly occurrence with The Show, it’s happening later than usual this year.

If you don’t have your three online trophies completed yet, head over to the MLB 09 forum and get an online league set up.

The announcement is transcribed below.
Our apologies, but starting March 17th, MLB 09: The Show game servers for the PlayStation 3 will be taken offline. We thank you for your devotion, and hope you’ve enjoyed your game experience. Note that this will have no impact on our current MLB 10: The Show game servers, which will remain active.

On behalf of The Show Development Team, we’d like to thank you for your time spent playing MLB 09: The Show on SportsConnect.

Please keep in mind that MLB 10: The Show will have a strong community, which should see the same online community size as seen in MLB 09 – tens of thousands of logins daily, see you there!

- The Show Dev Team