dan8885

Premium Supporter
Feb 23, 2014
CGN|GER
Release date: Fall 2017
Purchase link: Amazon Jock art edition available at Mondo Con
Price: TBA
Note: first licensed Mondo board game, Art by Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative

"In the new signature board game, titled INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, the tension and mystery of The Thing is recreated as players race to discover who among them are infected in the hidden identity game play engine."

unnamed.jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

We're thrilled to announce the release - and share a sneak peek at the design - for THE THING ™ INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, our very first board game in collaboration with USAopoly’s designer games division, Project Raygun. The regular version of the game will be in stores and online nationwide this October, and a limited edition Mondo exclusive version will be available at MondoTees.com.

Sign up for our INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31 newsletter here to stay up-to-date with release info.

An alien lifeform has infiltrated a bleak and desolate Antarctic research station assimilating other organisms and then imitating them. In the hidden identity game THE THING ™ INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, you will relive John Carpenter’s sci-fi cult classic in a race to discover who among the team has been infected by this heinous lifeform.

The game has been designed to be as authentically cinematic as possible, ensuring that the players will experience the paranoia and tension that makes the film so great.

"Mondo brought more than their storied design acumen to the table," said Joe Van Wetering, Creative Design and Game Development at Project Raygun. "Thanks to their deep understanding and reverence for THE THING, they helped define the tone and shape the game play itself. INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31 reflects a true collaboration between our two brands resulting in a game that will excite table top and film aficionados alike."

The regular version of the game features artwork and designs by Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative. The Mondo exclusive version, sold exclusively through MondoTees.com, is limited to 1,982 copies, and features different packaging artwork by Jock. The limited edition game will also come with a Mondo print, enamel pin and two additional sculpted movers: the Norwegian character and the Palmer Thing.

Commenting on the design, artist Justin Erickson said, "with THE THING box art, I wanted to focus on the isolation of Outpost 31 and hint at the hidden alien dangers that lurk around every corner. The title of the game cut out of the ice/snow is a call back to the Thing originally being cut out of the ice by the Norwegians."

The Thing™ Infection at Outpost 31 Gameplay
It is the start of the bleak, desolate Antarctic winter when a group of NSF researchers manning the claustrophobic, isolated U.S. Outpost 31 comes into contact with a hostile extraterrestrial lifeform. Bent on assimilating Earth’s native species, this being infiltrates the facility—creating a perfect imitation of one of the Outpost 31 crew. The staff frantically begin a sweep of the base, desperate to purge this alien infection before escaping to warn McMurdo Station that somewhere, out there in the frigid darkness, something horrible is waiting.

In THE THING™ INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, relive John Carpenter’s sci-fi cult classic as a hidden identity game designed to push you to the edge. Play as one of a dozen characters like helicopter pilot MacReady, mechanic Childs, or station manager Garry. Face sabotage and infection as you investigate the facility—gather gear, battle The Thing, expose any imitations among you, and escape Outpost 31!

Tension mounts and paranoia ensues as you question who you can trust in the ultimate race to save humanity.

Jock edition $120 launches at Mondo Con
mondo con game exclusive1.jpg
mondo the thing game 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Thanks @dan8885

This is a proper bit of me

Sounds like cludeo but thing style

I bought a Simpsons cludeo on eBay a few years back brand new and sealed. It only cost me £7.
It's sooo cool except they call it "Clue"

Best boardgame i own

• Thanks
Reactions: dan8885
This sounds like it'd be perfect for the returning Board Off. Whatcha think, @Snollygoster? :naughty:

Well, I definitely one the deluxe edition, so that means that I'll probably end up with the regular. Definitely keeping an eye on this. Thanks, @dan8885! :thumbs:

That would be perfect! Can't wait for your new series and blooper reel :LOL:

• Thanks
From Mondo:

We're thrilled to announce the release - and share a sneak peek at the design - for THE THING ™ INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, our very first board game in collaboration with USAopoly’s designer games division, Project Raygun. The regular version of the game will be in stores and online nationwide this October, and a limited edition Mondo exclusive version will be available at MondoTees.com.

Sign up for our INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31 newsletter here to stay up-to-date with release info.

9ctnZgPPToB8v_7UbhY5tTxBGM1WzMxocGdv0OmqAhZG3PlYSObjVmJHQarrT9JbDWdwN2DryNvB37q8r6aH6vemnKK83Jsh-meNfLLt1dO6xsSUrjD5R8bgKIAnU9fg7GOtOxWx2AjGlG0m8dJiWDVX3dd-mGZRKr1zbeE=s0-d-e1-ft

An alien lifeform has infiltrated a bleak and desolate Antarctic research station assimilating other organisms and then imitating them. In the hidden identity game THE THING ™ INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, you will relive John Carpenter’s sci-fi cult classic in a race to discover who among the team has been infected by this heinous lifeform.

The game has been designed to be as authentically cinematic as possible, ensuring that the players will experience the paranoia and tension that makes the film so great.

"Mondo brought more than their storied design acumen to the table," said Joe Van Wetering, Creative Design and Game Development at Project Raygun. "Thanks to their deep understanding and reverence for THE THING, they helped define the tone and shape the game play itself. INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31 reflects a true collaboration between our two brands resulting in a game that will excite table top and film aficionados alike."

lfJ2RB7sJzBEwdn57s3jU80RkNLq-1_WWY_l23MezZW--5EDQCYraQCkL5vpI5J1RtU2CCHAPxY_Pogd0PcFes4DVjqLaz7X5WmgdfbKKL381I4wVsBugTW4UqftRFdSEnkdGar2KiOhIiKsa2AdPntKzxRV9HWZfa-Hk8w=s0-d-e1-ft

The regular version of the game features artwork and designs by Justin Erickson of Phantom City Creative. The Mondo exclusive version, sold exclusively through MondoTees.com, is limited to 1,982 copies, and features different packaging artwork by Jock. The limited edition game will also come with a Mondo print, enamel pin and two additional sculpted movers: the Norwegian character and the Palmer Thing.

Commenting on the design, artist Justin Erickson said, "with THE THING box art, I wanted to focus on the isolation of Outpost 31 and hint at the hidden alien dangers that lurk around every corner. The title of the game cut out of the ice/snow is a call back to the Thing originally being cut out of the ice by the Norwegians."

GmCCqpW2LtnuVViCpARWjsZLnexzl5WfhCRU8ZRQjuun86jmDq_CtfN_n9Rn42yAT9JicgasYG-HitPHnHG3kIk6NAiQQtzk1TVOnpxDC7k5nyHZdc7kgsXDKHGJvYAqBQnJvxsGyCy21F_VaZuyo2eqfJiFziZOt0-W5xM=s0-d-e1-ft

The Thing™ Infection at Outpost 31 Gameplay
It is the start of the bleak, desolate Antarctic winter when a group of NSF researchers manning the claustrophobic, isolated U.S. Outpost 31 comes into contact with a hostile extraterrestrial lifeform. Bent on assimilating Earth’s native species, this being infiltrates the facility—creating a perfect imitation of one of the Outpost 31 crew. The staff frantically begin a sweep of the base, desperate to purge this alien infection before escaping to warn McMurdo Station that somewhere, out there in the frigid darkness, something horrible is waiting.

In THE THING™ INFECTION AT OUTPOST 31, relive John Carpenter’s sci-fi cult classic as a hidden identity game designed to push you to the edge. Play as one of a dozen characters like helicopter pilot MacReady, mechanic Childs, or station manager Garry. Face sabotage and infection as you investigate the facility—gather gear, battle The Thing, expose any imitations among you, and escape Outpost 31!

Tension mounts and paranoia ensues as you question who you can trust in the ultimate race to save humanity.

@Wreck @mllNY @apsmith21

awesomeness! :woot: can't get that newsletter link to work, here or on my email from Mondo, but otherwise a must-have! :thumbs:

can imagine playing this late at night, and then finding yourself looking behind you in corners...
giphy.gif

im guessing mondo con release of deluxe with edmiston thing artwork after reading what jay said earlier up above ......... or , maybe.... stout artwork. Cause I dont think edmiston does many letterpress prints, but could be wrong.

@tridon

but i bet this version is expensive ... $200 ........ who knows could be Jock ala last year with his book at booth this time sub in the game.

• Thanks
im guessing mondo con release of deluxe with edmiston thing artwork after reading what jay said earlier up above ......... or , maybe.... stout artwork. Cause I dont think edmiston does many letterpress prints, but could be wrong.

@tridon

but i bet this version is expensive ... $200 ........ who knows could be Jock ala last year with his book at booth this time sub in the game.

$200 = :arghh:

I think I'd still have to try and get it, though. A gameplay video of this is something that I have planned for BOARD OFF! and I know @Snollygoster could make some damn cool graphics for it. ;)

Jock exclusive artwork
jockartwork.jpg

"
The Thing Game: Limited Edition Version with Artwork by Jock!
JUL 19, 2017

INFECTION31_MONDO_EDITION_1_1024x1024.jpg

Announcing the Mondo exclusive version of The Thing™ Infection at Outpost 31, which will be sold exclusively through our site! It's limited to 1,982 copies, and features stunning packaging artwork by Jock housed in a translucent screen printed sleeve. The limited edition game will also come with a letterpress print by Jock, expanded game play, enamel pin, and two additional sculpted movers: Dead Norwegian and Palmer-Thing.

INFECTION31_MONDO_EDITION_2_1024x1024.jpg

"In 2013, Jock created an outstanding Mondo poster for The Thing with his depiction of an icy alien imitator erupting from the arctic snow. At the time he also came up with a collection of great concept sketches that we really wanted to see finished some day. When we asked Jock to create the box art for our limited edition version of the game he dipped back into those concepts and came back with a viscerally beautiful rendering of an imitation overtaking its host and reaching out to ensnare the viewer in its tendrils."
'

• Thanks