What is the more important?

• Mondo branding

Votes: 8 10.1%
  • The Artwork

Votes: 71 89.9%

• Total voters
May 1, 2015
Hi everyone,

We are just exploring options for various steelbook concepts for our catalogue here at eOne UK.

One of the things we have looked at is Mondo.

As collectors how important is the Mondo branding, does it really add value to the collect-ability, or is it the artwork that is most important?

Feedback would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

eOne Direct Team

Thanks for posting...I'm a tad confused to what you are asking?

If I had a choice between Mondo Artwork and just a standard Poster lift image I would go for the Mondo one...

To be clearer......commissioned artwork or Mondo branded.......we don't want to look at standard post lifts, we still want to create something special, just wasn't sure how important the Mondo branding is to collectors....

I would like to see some of the proposed films and their corresponding art choices before committing.
Maybe they'd work as a nice variant to a standard Steelbook.
I don't think they add value to the steel, just a good choice of art would be enough to consider buying.

I think what is meant is: would you buy a steelbook just because it is a Mondo X ... steelbook even if you don't like the artwork? Then you would go with option A.

I would say the Mondo Branding adds that something extra with great paint finishes. For example, we've had Mondo X Steelbooks which have top notch/quality paint finishes that have also been unique like on Pans Labyrinth, then we also got True Detective (which wasnt Mondo X) but still got an awesome paint finish. Then there have been other normal releases that have had mondo artwork like Enders Game which looks great but now compared to the Mondo X & True Detective, they lack that special finish.

Plus, with Target USA getting 3 Mondo X steels, it would be awesome to see at least 1 UK Mondo X steelbook release

Reactions: whysoserious?
Is this something that could happen or it the same as the situation with walking dead steel for seasons 4&5 that where mentioned that could happen , then our hopes where quickly dashed?
I'm still thinking if walking dead wouldn't sell as u said then a mondo UK wouldn't sell unless it was a title that USA or Canada would not get , hence the ninjas from there would want it , especially if it was apart of the mondo x collection and would have to be just like futureshop/best buy and target with the numbers on spine and plastic slip cover
@Wreck and @apsmith21 , could UK be apart of mondo x releases ? So eone mondo x 015 016 017 for example or is it just USA and Canada?

Reactions: Jb162009
I would say not every Mondo artwork suits on a steelbook. For example "The Thing" poster of Tyler Stout is in my opinion too overloaded (great work at all) in comparison to Jock's artwork (clean, 2-3 main colors, etc.) which is choosen for the steelbook release.

I support individual designs for a steelbook no matter if it's from Mondo or other independent artists. I also love to see something like Plain Archive is doing - they create very unique artworks (I Saw The Devil, The Master, etc.) and that's not Mondo ;)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: rj531 and apsmith21
@whysoserious? This is something that could absolutely happen. We are still looking in to the Walking Dead Steelbooks. These would be UK specific, but aware of group buys etc. Personally I love the Mondo concept, and yes would look at them being numbered and with the slip cover. This thread was just to gauge how important the Mondo branding is to a collector, or whether artwork is prevalent. There are a lot of talented artists outside of Mondo we are looking at.

We are very much engaged in producing steelbooks hence the research thread, sorry I can not share our commitments at this stage or you feel we disregarded your feedback from the last thread, we didn't and still looking at these.

FYI - Our next release is Monsters 2 Steelbook which will be available shortly.

@Engelskind Can you send me some lines to the Plain Archive so we can take a look at these?

@whysoserious? This is something that could absolutely happen. We are still looking in to the Walking Dead Steelbooks. These would be UK specific, but aware of group buys etc. Personally I love the Mondo concept, and yes would look at them being numbered and with the slip cover. This thread was just to gauge how important the Mondo branding is to a collector, or whether artwork is prevalent. There are a lot of talented artists outside of Mondo we are looking at.

We are very much engaged in producing steelbooks hence the research thread, sorry I can not share our commitments at this stage or you feel we disregarded your feedback from the last thread, we didn't and still looking at these.

FYI - Our next release is Monsters 2 Steelbook which will be available shortly.

@Engelskind Can you send me some lines to the Plain Archive so we can take a look at these?
No probs mate , thanks for your info , looking forward to ur future releases

It all depends on the artwork and pricing, if it's an okayish movie and the artwork is great I might be interested but there are some films that I would typically purchase but the artwork isn't choice i.e. 'Boyhood Mondo'. Although the designs to Dredd, Pan's Labyrinth, Flash Gordon etc are very nice.

Thanks for your involvement if only more retailers did this. :thumbs:

At this point in time, I am also taking into consideration the title being released. Artwork is important to me, but the artwork may not matter as much if it's a title that I want or do not have in my collection. The Mondo name being attached does also help, but it doesn't mean I will always buy a title just because it is Mondo. I have been trying to keep up with the Mondo collection in Canada and will continue with the US. But if the quality of titles and artwork deteriorates, I will stop worrying about collecting everything being released. Thanks for posting the poll.

Artwork is usually the main deciding point for me on steelbooks. Though, when it comes to the Mondo x steelbooks, it is equally important to have it a part of the numbered series along with good artwork.

Thanks for the interest in our opinions!

Personally, the Mondo branding (i.e. part of a numbered set) is perhaps most important; Don't think the artwork is as important, as you typically know that with a Mondo branded steelbook, the artwork is usually going to be amazing...

Yeah, to me it's the actual branding. So like at the moment with the US/CA releases to me it's the whole Mondo X #000-009 and so on thing. As @Andycadle84 said, if it's a Mondo release it's always going to be very good and different art work but what sets them apart for me from the standalone releases like Looper, Enders Game, etc that have been released in the UK is the extra branding as an 'official' Mondo release with the clear slip, different disc art etc rather than just using the Mondo art

The Mondo branding does mean a lot to me. Artwork is always important but I would be more inclined to buy a Steelbook if it was from Mondo. You know when it's a Mondo Steelbook that it will be unique and unlike anything already released. If the steel had good artwork but not great the Mondo name could tempt me Into buying it.

It's tough question but my answer is both. I buy mostly cause I love the art but the numbered mondo brand helps me forgive and buy a release I might not buy so I can still have a complete line. Thankfully that's not happened yet but the fact that so many have signed up to GB 009 unseen proves this.

Thanks for taking the time to ask the community, nice move. Good Artwork is definitely a plus, it would definitely help, but I agree with others above that the fact it is in a set, and branded as Mondo #002 etc, with the Mondo symbol and number on the spine is probably the bigger point for me personally

The brand isn't as important to me as the film/art. I've passed on several of them as the film just didn't appeal to me enough that I would want a second steelbook just because it's Mondo.

I'd love to see UK getting Mondo releases, but only of titles that the US and Canada are not getting. They'd also have to be brilliant films and the art exceptional.