Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
3.25 star(s) Rating: 3.25/5 8 Votes
Title: Mortal Kombat

Genre: Fantasy, Action, Adventure

Director: Simon McQuoid

Cast: Joel Edgerton

Release: 2021-23-04

Plot: Plot unknown. Feature film based on the popular video game.

I thought this was hitting HBO tomorrow so I jumped on HBO real quick and this isn't going to start streaming until the 23rd, not the 16th. Just so you all know, the release date in the OP is wrong, I don't know where the date for the 16th came from because even TMDb has it for the 23rd.

OP Updated
the release date was originally the 16th... but they pushed it to the 23rd... to allow GvK more time at the box office with no competition...

I think this will be first movie where i'll buy OneClick most likely. Would do it for Mad Max Fury Road but that train already passed :D.

18 Hours ! :D
countdown.gif

Last edited:
Better than I expected. Effects were very good. Fights well done. Just don't expect character analysis or deep meditation sequences between fights ... Did I spoil it for any1 ? :naughty:

Reactions: Noodles
For what it was I really f**king enjoyed it. Yeah it has some cheesey moments and questionable acting skills (mainly the main MMA guy who just wasn’t needed - terrible actor) but the rest was great. Absolutely savage in places. Was awesome.
Kano absolutely stole the show for me.

What annoyed me and what I want to see next:
I was a tad annoyed Goro got killed off however considering the same happened to sub zero and the actor is signed for 4 films and the end shows sub and Goro being “transferred” somewhere then it’s safe to say they will come back. I need more Goro

I also wasn’t sure if that was reptile reptile but gutted he got killed off too. Unless that is someone/ thing else. Amazing scene and death but I was hoping for more from the lizard.

what I’m hoping for is the sequel if it happens is a direct sequel (it’s safe to say it will be as they tease Jonny cage) but I’d also like to see a prequel for the 3rd film set Hundreds of years before (After the opening scene) with an actual tournament before the outworld started cheating. I’m pretty sure that was night wolf in the picture in Sonyas place. Would love to see all the classic characters who have clearly been killed off centuries ago in action. And when Goro was in his prime.

It really wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. Like @jcm said the beginning and end are great. The fatalities and VFX were really impressive. Some of the fights sucked and the editing was really bad. Changing cameras in the fight 3 or 4 times a second. Hopefully it'll do well and we get a sequel and someone like Gareth Evans could come and do a better job.

Reactions: DADDYCOOL187
Glad to see I'm not the only one who really enjoyed this. I honestly don't know much about Mortal Kombat as I was more of a Street Fighter player growing up, yet I still found myself understanding a lot of the references/jokes. The special effects were honestly some of the best I've seen as of late, especially the ice! The choreography was also pretty good IMO. I had no real issues with the main guy, but was he a completely new character made specifically for this film? Really hoping for a sequel!

Glad to see I'm not the only one who really enjoyed this. I honestly don't know much about Mortal Kombat as I was more of a Street Fighter player growing up, yet I still found myself understanding a lot of the references/jokes. The special effects were honestly some of the best I've seen as of late, especially the ice! The choreography was also pretty good IMO. I had no real issues with the main guy, but was he a completely new character made specifically for this film? Really hoping for a sequel!
As to the guy you're referring to...
Didn't you see the reference at the end of the film where he says he's going to Hollywood? Then you see a half of a poster on the wall that says Johnny Cage. All I can figure was this whole movie was a back story on the characters sort of a prelude to future movies. Johnny Cage was always a Hollywood stage name but we never knew what his real name was so I guess they fit him in as Johnny Cage.

As to the guy you're referring to...
Didn't you see the reference at the end of the film where he says he's going to Hollywood? Then you see a half of a poster on the wall that says Johnny Cage. All I can figure was this whole movie was a back story on the characters sort of a prelude to future movies. Johnny Cage was always a Hollywood stage name but we never knew what his real name was so I guess they fit him in as Johnny Cage.
Yeah, I saw that... but surely it's just a tease for that character in a possible sequel?
The main guy in this one is nothing like JC, and why would they have a poster of him in the gym if you're saying he technically didn't exist yet?

I googled it anyway and the main guy is apparently a new character in the MK universe.

Reactions: Flloydo