Mortal Kombat

Jan 29, 2009
MK9_PS3.jpg

Warner Brothers Interactive Entertainment just revealed that the famous fighting franchise will return to PlayStation 3 in 2011 in a new MK that will be played in 2D.

The company says that the game will include extensive online play, a "tag-team" game option that supports up to four players in two-person teams and "the deepest story mode of any fighting game." The game will also support classic 1 vs. 1 combat. The graphics engine is said to be brand-new.

MK creator Ed Boon is overseeing the project, which is in development at the new MK-centric NetherRealm Studios in Chicago. "This game really is a response to what players have been demanding," Boon said in a press release, "mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!"

Mortal Kombat was last seen in video game form in 2008's Mortal Kombat Vs. DC Universe, a T-rated game that toned down the series' classic violence so that Superman could tangle with Sub-Zero and friends. Mortal Kombat has been in the news this week thanks to the Mortal Kombat Rebirth movie pitch trailer that we showcased here on Kotaku.

Order

Standard: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6E1JS/?tag=hidefnin-20
Collectors: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GD1Q4G/?tag=hidefnin-20
Tournament: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GD1Q2I/?tag=hidefnin-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone get this game? Final thoughts?

I got it and I like it a lot. It's a lot better than the 3D games that came out. I really liked 2D mortal kombat and this feels like that. The gameplay is smooth and the characters feel balanced.

I've only completed the ladder twice, 1/2 of the story, and 1/4 of the challenge tower so there's definitely a lot to do for your money. Then there's the on-line part if you're into that...

So if you had to compare it to lets say MK2, would you say they went back to what made MK awesome?

I haven't played MK2 since I was a kid. But, from my memories of MK2, I would say yes... This feels like MK1-3 in 2011. It's really back to basics, but with obvious improvements.

I know the PSN is down right now, but when it's up you can get the demo (if you haven't already) and it'll give you a feel for the fighting style...

I like this game more than I've liked any of them since MK3...

Download Mortal Kombat Compatibility Pack, get two free skins

Warner’s announced that Mortal Kombat owners will bag themselves a free Classic Smoke and Classic Noob skin when they download the brawler’s second Compatibility Pack.

The fresh clobber will also be packaged with the forthcoming Kenshi DLC, which hits PlayStation Network later this week.

I haven't played MK2 since I was a kid. But, from my memories of MK2, I would say yes... This feels like MK1-3 in 2011. It's really back to basics, but with obvious improvements.

I know the PSN is down right now, but when it's up you can get the demo (if you haven't already) and it'll give you a feel for the fighting style...

I like this game more than I've liked any of them since MK3...

I couldnt find the demo under M :(

re

Announcement Trailer:

Confirmed Characters:

Cyrax
Johnny Cage
Kratos
Kira
Kitana
Kung Lao
Mileena
Nightwolf