Netflix on PS3 Megathread!

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
If you are looking for more video download options on your PlayStation 3, you will likely have an additional service via mass online rental company Netflix. In a recent interview with Reuters, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said he’d like the video service available on all systems, not just the Xbox 360.

Microsoft has an exclusive deal with Netflix right now, but Hastings believes the video rental service will be available on all systems.

Eventually he sees the service coming to portable devices like the iPhone, however; the company is focusing its efforts on consoles and Blu-ray players, and Internet TVs.

“Eventually we want to be on all the game consoles, all the Blu-ray players, all the Internet TVs,” he said. “So we are working in parallel with all of those efforts. Currently our Xbox deal is exclusive and we haven’t characterized it more than that.”

Hastings joined the Microsoft board of directors in March 2007. As for when the video service will arrive on the PS3, it seems unlikely it’ll be any time soon as Hastings did not give a specific timetable.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, how does Netflix look in your T.V.? I have a 65" so I'm worried that it wouldn't look that great.

Does it do HD?

So, how does Netflix look in your T.V.? I have a 65" so I'm worried that it wouldn't look that great.

Does it do HD?

As long as you have a good connection it looks really good. I have a 46" LCD and it does fine. I am pretty sure its HD. Maybe 720p or 1080i

blu-rays obviously look a lot better. but i would say the hd is comparable to the hd you get via cable/satellite

sooooo glad we finally got search

Cool - the unlimited has me considering - especially if I can get TV shows. Very cool.

I still worry about displaying it on my 65" tv. Hmmmm,

Just got my cable bill and a notice. Guess what?

They're jacking the bill up another $3.

I'm calling them now to negotiate my current bill to be discounted and then I'm going to ask them to cancel my cable... and returning the set top box through their window.

Just got my cable bill and a notice. Guess what?

They're jacking the bill up another $3.

I'm calling them now to negotiate my current bill to be discounted and then I'm going to ask them to cancel my cable... and returning the set top box through their window.

Yeah, if you threaten to cancel you can negotiate to have your bill lowered.

Netflix has reached a deal to stream films from Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM!

Netflix Inc. has reached a five-year deal worth nearly $1 billion to stream movies from Paramount, Lionsgate and MGM online starting Sept. 1 — a major move that boosts its "Watch Instantly" offerings and makes the studios' joint pay TV venture Epix immediately profitable.

The agreement marks a further push by Netflix to stream movies to homes directly via personal computers, game consoles, Blu-ray players and TVs, and away from its rent-by-mail method. Netflix is trying to get its customers to view movies online so it can save on postage costs. Its shares jumped more than 6 percent.

The deal vastly increases the amount Netflix spends on streaming movies annually. It spent $117 million in the first six months this year on streaming, up from $31 million a year ago. The new deal adds roughly $200 million a year to that tab.

Epix, the pay TV channel launched last October by Viacom Inc.'s Paramount Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. and Lions Gate Entertainment Corp., will make the movies, including new releases, available to Netflix 90 days after they premiere on premium pay TV and subscription on-demand. Epix holds subscription pay TV rights to new releases and movies from its partners' libraries.

"Coupled with our other carriage deals, this makes Epix immediately profitable," Lions Gate CEO Jon Feltheimer told analysts on a conference call Tuesday.

Netflix said that previously these rights to distribute films are pre-sold to pay TV for up to nine years after a movie's theatrical release. The deal means it can add many more popular movies from major studios.

Shares of Netflix rose $7.62, or 6.5 percent, to $124.52 on heavy volume in midday trading Tuesday. Viacom's Class B shares were up 6 cents at $33.73 and Lions Gate shares rose 2 cents to $6.60. MGM is privately held.

Netflix is launching in Canada today!

Seems that now that I’ve started blogging, I can’t stop! I’m happy to announce that Netflix is launching in Canada today.

4045562136_8a9d697318.jpg

For those of you who don’t know what Netflix is, it’s the leading internet movie subscription service, which basically means that all of us Canadians can now watch an unlimited amount of movies and TV episodes for $7.99 a month.

Now your PlayStation 3 is able to stream from Netflix right to your TV, letting you chose from thousands of movie and TV episodes; watch as much as you want, whenever you want.

To get started simply look for the Netflix icon under the video icon in your XMB (cross media bar).

For all our French speaking friends, Netflix intends to add French language capability over time.

In case you missed it: Netflix streaming app (no more disc!) coming to US PS3s in October!

For all our friends in the US and current Netflix members, you’ll have to continue using the instant streaming disc for your PS3 system until the Netflix application icon becomes available for you in October.

Still not sure if Netflix is right for you and your PS3? Visit www.netflix.ca/ps3 for your free one-month trial and see for yourself! With no late delivery fees, can your Wednesday get any better?

NBC Adds Shows To Netflix!

Starting next week, Netflix will be adding several NBC shows to their lineup that will be instantly available to Netflix subscribers.

Customers will be able to stream shows like Psych, Battlestar Galactica, The Office, and 30 Rock as well as every season of Friday Night Lights and Saturday Night Live, which will actually add brand new episodes the day after they air for the next 3 years.