Netflix on PS3 Megathread!

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
If you are looking for more video download options on your PlayStation 3, you will likely have an additional service via mass online rental company Netflix. In a recent interview with Reuters, Netflix CEO Reed Hastings said he’d like the video service available on all systems, not just the Xbox 360.

Microsoft has an exclusive deal with Netflix right now, but Hastings believes the video rental service will be available on all systems.

Eventually he sees the service coming to portable devices like the iPhone, however; the company is focusing its efforts on consoles and Blu-ray players, and Internet TVs.

“Eventually we want to be on all the game consoles, all the Blu-ray players, all the Internet TVs,” he said. “So we are working in parallel with all of those efforts. Currently our Xbox deal is exclusive and we haven’t characterized it more than that.”

Hastings joined the Microsoft board of directors in March 2007. As for when the video service will arrive on the PS3, it seems unlikely it’ll be any time soon as Hastings did not give a specific timetable.

Last edited by a moderator:
So am I correct in taking from this comment by a Netflix person, that sharing Neflix accounts with someone is okay, even though they'd obviously like you to have your own accounts?

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2009/12/do-you-share-a-netflix-account.html

Profiles are a great way to share a Netflix account with a roomate, but what about sharing a Netflix account with someone in a different state? A reader asked an interesting question:

My friend lives in DC and is subscribed to the $13.99 2 DVDs at a time unlimited package. I just got a Netflix streaming capable device, but I don't really want to subscribe. Do you know if it's possible for me to stream in Iowa on his subscription while he continues to receive by mail in DC without disrupting his service?

Netflix's Steve Swasey had this to say about account sharing:

"We’re aware of account sharing -- some folks share the joy of Netlfix without a gift subscription. But of course we’d prefer everyone to have their own membership."

Netflix on PS3 goes disc-free, gets 1080p streaming and 5.1 surround sound (update)

via engadget

10-14-10ps3nf.jpg

Rejoice, PS3 owners, your Netflix streaming experience just got vastly better than anything else on the market. Starting October 18 Netflix on the PS3 will no longer require a disc, and it'll stream some content with 1080p resolution and / or 5.1-channel surround audio, while everyone else will be stuck with a max of 720p stereo for the time being. Oh, and you'll get subtitles on some content as well. Netflix is partnering with Dolby on the audio side, and the surround format will be Dolby Digital Plus, which is the same codec used by the VUDU HDX streaming service -- we're guessing it'll require a tiny bit more bandwidth but the results should sound pretty great. Netflix says 5.1 will come to other platforms "over time," so we'll see how long that takes -- and given that the PS3 is now disc-free and the company's eschewed the SRS surround features baked into its Silverlight-based platform, we're guessing Microsoft's exclusivity period has now completely run its course. Video and PR after the break.

Update: Though the official PlayStation Blog originally reported the service would display streaming video at 1080i resolution, they've since struck that out -- they say it'll do 1080p now. Much better.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="437" height="265" id="viddler"><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/526631bd" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="fake=1"/><embed src="http://www.viddler.com/simple_on_site/526631bd" width="437" height="265" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" flashvars="fake=1" name="viddler" ></embed></object>​

Netflix on PS3 ready to download on some consoles, service starts Oct. 18th

10-16-10-netflixps3600.jpg

via: Engadget

You can't really use it for anything for two more days, as Netflix will tell you "this product is not currently available in your location," but if you turn on your PlayStation 3, you might notice the disc-less, 1080p and 5.1 surround sound version of the instant movie streaming service is already available to download. The above install screen popped up on our console without even requiring a trip to the PlayStation Store, which suggests that 1.) Sony has decided that this is a big deal and 2.) should an evil force ever wrest control from the Japanese manufacturer, they'd have some pretty rad propaganda pushing power.

I need everyones opinion on this. So a week or two ago i mentioned I shipped the wrong Blu back to netflix. I shipped Beauty and the Beast (I bought it) instead of Kick-ass. So i called today and asked where it was and he said that I was misinformed about getting it back. All they could do is give me like a $9 credit. I have not sent back the Kick-Ass disc.

Question: Should I keep Kick-Ass or give it back to them?

They didnt ask for it when I talked to them and they have already sent me the next movies in my queue. Apparently they just thought Beauty and the Beast was their movie and left it at that. I think i am just gonna keep it.

I need everyones opinion on this. So a week or two ago i mentioned I shipped the wrong Blu back to netflix. I shipped Beauty and the Beast (I bought it) instead of Kick-ass. So i called today and asked where it was and he said that I was misinformed about getting it back. All they could do is give me like a $9 credit. I have not sent back the Kick-Ass disc.

Question: Should I keep Kick-Ass or give it back to them?

They didnt ask for it when I talked to them and they have already sent me the next movies in my queue. Apparently they just thought Beauty and the Beast was their movie and left it at that. I think i am just gonna keep it.

I'd keep the Kick-Ass disc if they're only going to give you $9 credit. And if they ever ask where the kick-ass disc is I'd say, I have it until you ship my beauty and the beast back.

Honestly it's not ******** them over if they're trying to **** you over first. It's BS that they don't work with their customers better.

I'd keep the Kick-Ass disc if they're only going to give you $9 credit. And if they ever ask where the kick-ass disc is I'd say, I have it until you ship my beauty and the beast back.

Honestly it's not ******** them over if they're trying to **** you over first. It's BS that they don't work with their customers better.

I say keep Kick Ass!

UPDATE: Installed and loaded! Love it! only complain is i have to click on the movie to actually see the details like if its HD or has 5.1

Last edited:
Netflix testing $7.99 and $8.99 streaming-only plans in US right now, one is not a discount (update)

10-23-10-netflix799600-copy.jpg

When CEO Reed Hastings called Netflix "primarily a streaming company that also offers DVD-by-mail," he wasn't messing around, as the company's quietly made streaming-only plans a reality on US shores. Strangely enough, however, it seems the firm hasn't quite decided how much the new plan should cost, as depending on which computer and web browser you use to navigate Netflix's website you'll see a different result. Our Windows desktop running Chrome was invited to sign up for the same $7.99 disc-less plan as our Canadian counterparts, while Firefox asked us to pay $8.99 for the same privilege, and in either case it'd cost us $9.99 in total if we wanted physical discs as well -- while a MacBook Pro on the other side of the country was given the choice between $8.99 for streaming-only or Netflix's previous plan of $8.99 for both. In short, there's a chance you might get a $1 discount if you only use the company's online service now, but if you like DVDs delivered to your door you may find yourself subsidizing those who don't. See a picture illustrating the discrepancy right after the break.

Update: We've got Netflix's entire pricing breakdown for DVD-mailer plans after the break, and unless we're mistaken, the three cheapest tiers all cost an extra dollar now, while the more expensive plans stay the same.

I just got this last night and wanted to ask the USA boys/girls if the titles available are different.

i went to watch Supernatural no joy not available so went to watch Criminal Minds no joy not available along with a few others. Is this just a crap Canadian thing or they don't show the TV shows i like watching?