New Comic Book Day (NCBD) & Latest Pick Up Haul!

Unknown Comics have a Return of Wolverine variant set from Adi Granov. Pre-orders on Aug 21.
yeah linked that in other thread as well. i like some of those. will grab a few of my fav costumes of him. most i dont like, so thats a good thing. ha

nice jock batman 50 @kryptonite
been on the fence for that gold foil catwoman @jitstark

I'm gonna try and chill for a lil while on the pricier variants , just grab cheaper stuff because I just bought a cgc that ill post soon. ;)

I do however have a lot of already paid for variants and stuff to still arrive so ill have some to post etc. Eye'in a few wolvy variants but they are mostly all $3.xx

I pretty much got it because it's Artgerm and I've seen the foli cover for Catwoman #2 which looks amazing. I'm still in two minds about gold and silver variants. I kinda wanna get both as they do seem to be only at conventions (until Forbidden planet get hold of them) and rarer but they are more expensive. As I don't get that many books I can sort of justify it in my head. Plus I do like the look and feel of them.

What's your guys views on the foil variants? Apart from the look are they worth it? Are they that rare? Do they hold their value in the long run?

I've got my eye on a few cgc's mostly Watchmen ones (I'll get them over the next 6 months or so) but luckily I got a promotion and pay rise at work so I'm gonna go all out before responsibilities catch up with me!

Reactions: Wreck
My thought on variants in general

If they are a #1 they will have better chance holding up some type of value

If they are popular artists then folks will still want those years later.

But the 1:500 and onward I think will not hold up.

Here’s why... they are expensive but yes they are rare.... but we live in an age now very different from silver age and beyond. (Heck even Bronze Age)

Point being... people take better care of comics now, and people who are paying the big money for those are DEFINITELY people who will take care of those comics. (thus its not like a bunch of those will be treated like crap or tossed making them anymore rare) So literally only super duper bangin art would likely keep its value relevant.... why? Cause In 20 years from now there will still be variants and such or new hyped stuff out there and money will cater to that stuff that is getting promoted then ... and of course the old keys and stuff that is basically considered antiques now.

So in my view buy variants on personal taste for art ... if you buy a comic over $100 it needs to be a key or something of age that is rare because of that and always will be. Otherwise despite the fact that maybe only 3,000 were made you will have it sit on ebay for a long time before it sells. thats my opinion.

Tho the $25 stuff , little risk, ... maybe many years later you can at least get double easily (if a person wants to sell it) vs. say not likely will it be going for $300 etc. Tho what helps that value/tier is still chance collections move on, not treated right, some get destroyed, or read by the next person getting the collection etc. ie. can help take some the qty down that is out there.

The good thing about moderns today tho is no matter, they still arent making as many as the did in the 90s. Far from it...

So you can point to SOME that are worth money , and many that arent worth much more than face value.

ie. Gambit 1 foil and Venom Lethal Protector foil are worth a nice lil bit ... nothing super crazy, but 9.8 gambit gold foil goes for like $400-500

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: jitstark
My thought on variants in general

If they are a #1 they will have better chance holding up some type of value

If they are popular artists then folks will still want those years later.

But the 1:500 and onward I think will not hold up.

Here’s why... they are expensive but yes they are rare.... but we live in an age now very different from silver age and beyond. (Heck even Bronze Age)

Point being... people take better care of comics now, and people who are paying the big money for those are DEFINITELY people who will take care of those comics. (thus its not like a bunch of those will be treated like crap or tossed making them anymore rare) So literally only super duper bangin art would likely keep its value relevant.... why? Cause In 20 years from now there will still be variants and such or new hyped stuff out there and money will cater to that stuff that is getting promoted then ... and of course the old keys and stuff that is basically considered antiques now.

So in my view buy variants on personal taste for art ... if you buy a comic over $100 it needs to be a key or something of age that is rare because of that and always will be. Otherwise despite the fact that maybe only 3,000 were made you will have it sit on ebay for a long time before it sells. thats my opinion.

Tho the $25 stuff , little risk, ... maybe many years later you can at least get double easily (if a person wants to sell it) vs. say not likely will it be going for $300 etc. Tho what helps that value/tier is still chance collections move on, not treated right, some get destroyed, or read by the next person getting the collection etc. ie. can help take some the qty down that is out there.

The good thing about moderns today tho is no matter, they still arent making as many as the did in the 90s. Far from it...

So you can point to SOME that are worth money , and many that arent worth much more than face value.

ie. Gambit 1 foil and Venom Lethal Protector foil are worth a nice lil bit ... nothing super crazy, but 9.8 gambit gold foil goes for like $400-500

That makes loads of sense.

The collector in my loves the rarity compared to the regular issues and as I said before I love the look and feel of them in hand. Even the solid foil backs I think are nice. I'm not looking to sell anytime soon but as I get more and more into collecting I know I'm gonna run out of room at some point so will need to offload some in the future. Right now though, it's all about just wanting them in the collection, especially the Artgerm's, Fabok's, Lee's and Dell'otto's.

I mostly buy the variants because of the artist and my taste in them. If I like the cover art then I will buy them.

As for those foils, they are sure nice to have but not gonna spend too much on them. Not really into selling my books right now.

If I am gonna splurge then I might as well splurge on CGC's of my favorite books or issue. Not gonna splurge on those limited runs.

Right now, I only buy variants and first issues or first appearances/key issues. If I like the story lines then I will buy them on Comixology.

• Thanks
Reactions: jitstark and Wreck
nice supes, almost grabbed that punisher ....but not diggin the art much on cover. marvel is growing on me ...

i just grabbed tony stark iron man #3 and a couple back issues. Saw a Judge Dredd and Batman mash up that i got for someone as a gift. and harley quinn #1 from march.

Reactions: kryptonite
Nice haul @tridon ! Let me know how west coast avengers is. I thought the cover was stupid but now it does look fun ... if well written maybe it would be cool. Just not classic to me and I’m a lil hard to break on that w some titles

@kryptonite Don’t think I will buy the follow ups unless I really like the read but I grabbed some of FF1’s kinda went a diff route than you but I do still want the Alex Ross You got.

The green variant I got for free cuz eBay seller took long to supply my dell’Otto variant so threw it in.

First some readers found at used book store for $1, kid will like flash n Poe
199931C4-9E90-49C2-ABF2-77E9F121F91C.jpeg

171EE979-4B62-430D-BEDF-9859210D32E3.jpeg

Cosmic ghost variant on left bottom got in a mystery box.

D7C5CAFC-8BFF-4D84-A2C3-0407225085D8.jpeg
9E8CBB71-75D1-4C26-ACBA-EE12FC9A29B7.jpeg
738A2450-D021-40CB-9C39-ED919666906D.jpeg

Cap n falcon freebie w my wolverine first appearance Cgc purchase

• Thanks
Reactions: tridon
Nice haul @tridon ! Let me know how west coast avengers is. I thought the cover was stupid but now it does look fun ... if well written maybe it would be cool. Just not classic to me and I’m a lil hard to break on that w some titles

@kryptonite Don’t think I will buy the follow ups unless I really like the read but I grabbed some of FF1’s kinda went a diff route than you but I do still want the Alex Ross You got.

The green variant I got for free cuz eBay seller took long to supply my dell’Otto variant so threw it in.

View attachment 390636
View attachment 390637

View attachment 390638View attachment 390639View attachment 390640

Thanks, bud! That's quite the nice haul yourself. I NEED that Amazing Spidey Behind-the-Scenes issue!

West Coast Avengers was actually quite fun. It has a sitcom vibe to it... or maybe something along the lines of Veronica Mars with superheroes. It supplied me with a few laughs and the art was nice, so I'm not disappointed with my purchase. I think I'll give the first story arc a shot.

View attachment 390636
View attachment 390637

View attachment 390638View attachment 390639View attachment 390640

I originally only wanted the invisible girl but ebay seller messed up my pre-orders and sent me a different book. He refunded me and used that to buy all 4 artgerm variants of F4.