New Rumor: Mass Effect Coming to PS3 : Mass Effect 2 MultiPlatform!

Jan 29, 2009
One of the biggest titles to hit the Xbox 360, Mass Effect, may see its sequels on the PlayStation 3. With Electronic Art's purchase of BioWare, the developer of Mass Effect, and EA's history of not limiting itself to one platform, it's kind of a no-brainer. Especially once you throw in a poor economy where every sale counts.

According to the Web site OnAxis, Michael Pachter, Managing Director of Entertainment Software and Retail Research at Wedbush Morgan Securities, said he believes that Mass Effect will not remain an Xbox 360 exclusive.

mass_effect.jpg

Speaking with a panel of others on Gametrailer's show Bonus Round, Pachter commented, "Trust me, Electronic Arts, when they threw out the number 300 million...that is multiplatform, that is not 360 only." And when asked if Mass Effect 2 will come to the PS3, he said, "It has to, has to. And you know, I wouldn't be shocked if Mass Effect 1 came to PS3."

An EA rep responded saying, "The rumor regarding Mass Effect being developed for PS3 is inaccurate," which isn't exactly a denial.

Last edited:
This is the one game that keeps me looking at an Xbox. I used to have one and this was the last new game I bought for it. Played nothing else for a month straight. I would dearly love for this trilogy to find a home on the PS3.

EA has denied it, but they did the same thing with the Orange Box, which was an awesome game even with some of its flaws..

EA has denied it, but they did the same thing with the Orange Box, which was an awesome game even with some of its flaws..
Their comment about the story being "inaccurate" strikes me as odd. It feels like they very carefully chose their words. What was inaccurate? The entire story? The release date? The announcement date?

In talking about big titles for EA's next fiscal year, CEO John Riccitiello dropped hints about the future of the epic space-themed RPG franchise Mass Effect.

"[In Q4], BioWare will release Mass Effect 2 on multiple platforms," he said during a Tuesday earnings call.

The original 2007 Mass Effect was an Xbox 360 exclusive published by Microsoft Game Studios. EA's acquisition of BioWare opened up rumors that the franchise could go multiplatform.

Mass Effect also appeared on PC.

Riccitiello did not specifically mention the PS3 in his statement, but the nature of EA as a multiplatform third-party publisher would suggest that "multiple platforms" would include Sony's machine in the equation.

If they release the first one with the DLC included I will double dip!! this was great!! I know Zeus will enjoy it. It's his type of game there's so much to do and they managed to add a little personality to the characters which is great!

I hope so, I would love to present the news to all who say "Mass Effect is a 360 exclusive, it's never coming to PS3". I am also dying to serve a certain "dodgy" someone a heaping, steaming serving of crow.:D

oh I know, lol. He kinda took it back because of this announcement... and he posted this rumor, carefully.

The existence of Mass Effect 2 has never been a tightly-kept secret, with Bioware announcing the trilogy before the original had even hit shelves. And with the sequel to be discussed in some capacity at this year’s GDC, it came as no surprise when EA announced Mass Effect 2 at its Q3 2009 investor conference call.

EA CEO John Riccitiello confirmed the game is scheduled for release in the fiscal Q4 of 2009. As exciting as it may sound, that particular quarter lies between the January and March of 2010, meaning no Mass Effect 2 until next year.

According to Riccitiello, the title is set to appear on multiple platforms. Whether or not “multiple-platforms” is referring to the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC is unclear. Considering the first instalment of the trilogy debuted on Xbox 360 and landed on the PC months later, both platforms are seemingly guaranteed a version of the game.

The first one was actually quite good!! I loved this game!!! you guys could pick it up for PC and it comes with the expansion pack free. I seriously can't wait for the sequel!!

About a month ago, we told you about the whispers we heard of the Mass Effect trilogy heading to Sony’s console. Now it seems Bioware is implying the same thing.

In the first trailer for Mass Effect 2 (which is viewable after the break), Bioware gives us some interesting tidbits about the story: apparently, your character, Shepard, is assumed dead. It also seems many of the characters from the original game will appear in the sequel.

However, the most interesting thing about the trailer was the information it didn’t give. First of all, Bioware failed to mention a release date, which points to a 2010 release date; if Bioware was planning to release the game in the fall, they would have probably included the date in the trailer. And secondly, the trailer fails to flash a console’s logo. If Bioware was still in cahoots with Microsoft there would definitely be a big green “X” somewhere in the trailer.

Obviously, this is far from solid evidence. However, this coupled with the previous rumor (and other rumors that have subsequently popped up) makes it seem very likely that Mass Effect 2 will be playable on the PS3 whenever it releases.