New Sony PSP trend? Retail Patapon 2 rumored to be UMD-free

Jan 29, 2009
The PlayStation Portable is a versatile system, with a heavy emphasis on digital distribution. You can stream games from your PS3, download new and classic games directly to Pro Duo cards, and the upcoming Rock Band: Unplugged will even have its own music store. Now it seems like an upcoming Sony title will be released via digital means only, even though the product will be available in retail stores. Allow us to explain.

This information comes from our very reliable mole, who has proven himself accurate time and time again. He's now sent word that Patapon 2, the sequel to the quirky rhythm game on the PSP, will not be shipped on UMD. Instead, the game will be available via the PlayStation Network for $15 and—here's the twist—the game will also be sold in retail stores. The PSP cases will be empty, with a voucher for the download inside. If you purchase the product at retail, it will be $19.99. You'll also be able to purchase the download code via the web sites of certain retailers. Again, you'll buy a code the unlocks the download. There will be no UMD, physical copy of the game available.

Since we can't name the source, we have to label this as rumor and ask you to treat it as such. That being said, the mole has been accurate much more often than not, and has broken many major stories for us.

Ars contacted Sony for comment. "Regarding digital distribution for Patapon 2, nothing's been announced on our end," we were told. "We'll keep our ears to the ground and we'll drop you a line immediately if we hear anything.

This would be a bold move for Sony, and lines up with rumors that the company may be releasing a PSP without a UMD drive at all. There was a wave of stories in February around David Perry's reports of a PSP 2... without a UMD drive. "I hear Sony FINALLY has the PSP 2," he tweeted. "And thank goodness, they've removed the stupid battery-sucking UMD disc drive. I'm excited!" Later GameDaily followed up with Perry, who stood behind his statements. "I love the PSP, I just wish they'd learn from the mistakes and move forward," he said. "I'm really tired of new versions being baby steps, or more color changes. I can't reveal my sources, but you can be certain there's no UMD, which means fully digital online device, and you know I know people."

Again, this move by Sony makes sense: it allows the company to to sell directly to consumers, there is no physical product that you can resell, and retailers are selling physical cases with download codes for $5 more than the pure digital product.

When we spoke to Entertainment Consumer Association President Hal Halpin at GDC, he brought up one of the challenges of going with pure digital distribution: why would retailers sell your hardware if they no longer got a cut of the software? "It's totally razors and razorblades, so [game publishers] have to overcome that first," he explained. "I wouldn't be surprised if major retailers haven't already discussed this and have something locked down."

Patapon 2 is a good title to use a test-bed. It has a strong following of rhythm game fans, who may be more willing than an action game fan to try this new system. It's not a huge title in Sony's lineup, meaning the company doesn't stand to lose a huge amount of money if the gamble doesn't pay off.

This could very easily be the first shot in the battle to move even closer to a more digital future, and an industry where you can't resell or even rent games. While GameStop may be happy that it will still be able to sell these games, the higher-margin used game business may be edging ever-closer to extinction.

It's also possible that this is a far-fetched rumor, and we're looking way too far into the future. Still, there's much to think about here, and we'll be watching for news... one way or the other.

Update: Our inside source has given us word that Sony will release its upcoming title Patapon 2 purely through digital means, even though empty cases with the download code will be available at retailers. Sony may be inching even closer to a purely digital business model, but retailers will surely want to fight the future. Is this the first shot in the digital war? Ars investigates.

Source: arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/04/patapon-2-to-go-umd-less-even-in-retail-stores-new-sony-trend.ars

it was a decent idea, but they totally screwed up with the movies at the start. was doomed from then on

Confirmed

Update: Sony has just confirmed the story with a statement to Ars Technica. The statement reads:

"We're considering a digital only format for the Patapon 2 release as a one time test case as we continue to explore consumer preferences for digital content," Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications at SCEA said. "The downloadable game will be available on May 5th at both retail and via the PlayStation Store. We remain focused on providing superior games and entertainment experiences in both the UMD and digital formats and are working closely with our partners to deliver the best PSP line up in our history."

to judge reactions from gamers for the upcoming umd-less psp on june 2?