New TV Recomendations UK

Towser

Pennyless Ninja!
Premium Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
West Midlands, UK
Thinking about updating to a new TV early next year, Currently I have a Panasonic TX-P42GT20B 42 Series 3D Plasma (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp42gt20-txp42gt20b-20101025880.htm ) Apart from anything else, I currently have 4 HDMI inputs on this TV and would like 6 or more if possible.

HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 what's the difference and should I care?

Also Ultra HD 4k, OLED or what? Curved or Flat screen? I feel curved screens would not be so good for everyone in the room only the person sitting directly in front of it.

All advise and user experience would be appreciated and taken into account when the time comes.

Thanks all

Ron

I personally don't like curved screens, but you may feel differently.

I was in Currys this week and saw the new LG flat screen OLED tv, 55 inch. 55EF950V. There is also a 65 inch.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, I thought it looked fantastic. They didn't have the 65" in store but I'm hoping to see one soon. Currys have a 10% off deal right now - a decent saving - but I'm hoping after Christmas there will be another offer. The plasma can finally be replaced!

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Towser
Thanks @Gadget I heard curved screens were only ok if you watch alone as they have 1 good viewing angle if you are sitting centre screen others either side get inferior distorted pictures so this di put me off so I wanted to find someone who actually has one to either prove or disprove my theory

:)

Ron

The LG 55UF850V is a great 4K tv, it has 3D, 2 HDMI 2.0, 1 HDMI 1.4, 3 USB, input lag is quite low for games.

Its a awesome tv, i highly recommend it. But its one of those things were you have to see it in person.

• Helpful Post
Thinking about updating to a new TV early next year, Currently I have a Panasonic TX-P42GT20B 42 Series 3D Plasma (http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-txp42gt20-txp42gt20b-20101025880.htm ) Apart from anything else, I currently have 4 HDMI inputs on this TV and would like 6 or more if possible.

HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 what's the difference and should I care?

Also Ultra HD 4k, OLED or what? Curved or Flat screen? I feel curved screens would not be so good for everyone in the room only the person sitting directly in front of it.

All advise and user experience would be appreciated and taken into account when the time comes.

Thanks all

Ron

I cant remember seeing/hearing of any TVs with 6 HDMI inputs. AFAIK, you have couple of options:
- Buy a A/V receiver that has anywhere between 6 - 10 hdmi inputs OR
- Buy a hdmi switch with 6 or more inputs

Haven't really read up into HDCP 2.2 so cant comment on that one.

And I'd say, stay away from curved TVs. Its just another gimmick. I noticed that curves are way more expensive than flats, simply because they are curved. Every other spec can be the same but just because its curved, they sell it for $500 - $800 more than their flat counterpart. A couple of extra degrees of angles is not worth that much in my opinion.

Hope that helps in some way :)

• Helpful Post