New Xbox 360 Arcade/Elite Boxes, Price Cut for Elite?, New Elite by August 30th

Jan 29, 2009
So, someone had fun today, as I just received these from my anonymous Best Buy insider....

img0206t.jpg

img0204nun.jpg

img0205g.jpg

img0207f.jpg

img0208v.jpg

Last edited:
By SE YOUNG LEE

SINGAPORE -- Microsoft Corp. is lowering the price of the high-end model of its Xbox 360 gaming console by $100 starting Friday amid mounting pressure on console makers as the videogame industry's sales continue to struggle.

Microsoft is cutting the price of the high-end Xbox 360 console by $100, matching Sony's PlayStation 3, which saw its price slashed by $100 last week.

Microsoft, in a statement dated Wednesday, said prices for the Xbox 360 Elite console will be lowered to $299.99 starting Friday. The device comes with a 120 gigabyte hard drive.

Microsoft also said it will lower the price of the Xbox 360 Pro model, which has a smaller hard drive, to $249.99 from $299.99 while supplies last. The price of the Xbox 360 Arcade model, which doesn't come with a hard drive, will remain at $199.99.

The Xbox 360 Pro model will be phased out once current supply runs out, leaving the Elite and the Arcade as the two models for the console.
More

Microsoft is following Sony in cutting the price of its higher-end Xbox 360 system. Are you more willing to buy an Xbox or PS3 with the price drop?

* More topics in Growing Up Gamer
* Earlier: Sony Drops Price of PS3

The announcement follows a fall in videogame hardware and software sales stemming from the economic downturn, which has increased pressure on console makers to cut prices before the holiday season. According to NPD Group, industry sales for hardware and software in the U.S. in July were down 29% from the same month a year ago.

On Aug. 18, Sony said it would cut the price of the PlayStation 3 by $100 to $299 and that a slimmer version of the gaming console will debut on Sept. 1. The price reduction had been widely expected, as the console has struggled against its lower-price competitors amid the sales slump.

Nintendo Co. hasn't cut the price of the Wii, the market leader among the latest generation of videogame consoles in the U.S. It's price has remained at $250 since late 2006. But analysts believe the company will need to reduce this to meet its year-end sales targets as demand for the device has slowed considerably so far in 2009.

The weird thing is that, the Pro model which isn't listed anymore is not out of stock till 2013, that and the model # of the arcade stayed the same, only changing the outside of the box..

interesting strategy by microsoft.. they were laughing at Sony saying "the price has to come down soon..." and looks like they were just waiting to level the playing field with another price cut.

While not defending either side, I'm curious what good this did for the 360?

how is this the most viewed forum on the site? i guess it was our one moment of glory. we must have had a ton of visitor hits on this...

lol, 3 pages of posts but 25,000 views