New Xbox 360 Arcade/Elite Boxes, Price Cut for Elite?, New Elite by August 30th

Jan 29, 2009
So, someone had fun today, as I just received these from my anonymous Best Buy insider....

img0206t.jpg

img0204nun.jpg

img0205g.jpg

img0207f.jpg

img0208v.jpg

Last edited:
The weird thing is that, the Pro model which isn't listed anymore is not out of stock till 2013, that and the model # of the arcade stayed the same, only changing the outside of the box..

hmm I wonder what the price will be? Are they already cutting even on the xbox?

It would have to drop to $299, a more than $100 difference on a two different console versions looks bad to the consumer. I also love how Microsoft got smart and took the Component/HDMI cables out, and put in Standard Def ones...

Just adds more money to the money machine... and helps a little with a price cut.

ah,not to bash but xbox live isn't up to par with me,i hate paying 50 dollars (a game)..Just to play online...i'm so use to free PSN...

it's like buying ice cream but your only paying for the Cone till you hand more money over

ah,not to bash but xbox live isn't up to par with me,i hate paying 50 dollars (a game)..Just to play online...i'm so use to free PSN...

it's like buying ice cream but your only paying for the Cone till you hand more money over

Its 50 dollars a year, not per game....

i bet he meant 50 dollars, i.e. a game.

i dont have an xbox so i cant speak for live, but from what i hear its better than the psn, so it gives people a sense of value for their money.

There are certain aspects of Live that are so much better than PSN, but does that really make up for the fact that you are paying to play online? Not to me, I already pay for the internet, the game, and the console I am not paying to play online....I only fell for it once! :) never again!

They are however starting to get tricky, if you don't buy Live you can't download new demos until 2-3 weeks later! which is BS, but whatever I don't desire to download any demos from them :) Also, you can't access your Netflix unless you have Live Gold. I'll just stick to my buggy incomplete PSN that gives me free demos and free online play and pocket my $60 :p

Goodbye Pro

Based on the image of the computer screen from Best Buy I would actually conclude the opposite of what the original poster claimed, namely that the Xbox 360 PRO is going to be dropped, the price of the Elite will drop $100, and replace the PRO in the lineup. The screen as shown makes no mention of the PRO system, but is in fact the screen for the Elite system (see upper right-hand corner), which shows an out of stock date of 8/30/2009 (lower half of screen). Therefore based on the computer screen image I would suspect the opposite, that the PRO system will get the 120 Gb drive and the Elite will be dropped. Further supporting this would be that the PRO has always out sold the Elite and is considerd the standard. As they did when they upgraded the 20 Gb drive on the original Pro to the 60 Gb drive, it would make sense to simply upgrade the 60Gb drive to the 120 Gb (the only difference between the systems anyway besides the cables, which are component on the PRO and therefore cheaper than the HDMI cables on the Elite). Further supporting this is MS's push for downloading digital content, thereby requiring a much larger hard drive and allowing them to upgrade the Elite (assuming they are not dropping it) with an even bigger hard drive (hopefully at least 250 Gb one). This also maybe why the Elite in the computer screen shows an out of stock date (referring to the 120 Gb model) so they can replace it with an Elite with a larger hard drive. As further evidence, where I live the Elite is being offered with a free controller and 1600 Live points for a total savings of $70.00. If in fact the PRO model was being discontinued would they not start at least month earlier, if not longer, discounting (offering free items with purchase) to clear out its stock of the PRO and not the Elite. As for the photos, well that could have been easily digitally altered to eliminate the Pro model.

good theory and perhaps, as for the photos I do know they are 100% legit and not altered as they come from one of our users who was the person who took them.

Based on the image of the computer screen from Best Buy I would actually conclude the opposite of what the original poster claimed, namely that the Xbox 360 PRO is going to be dropped, the price of the Elite will drop $100, and replace the PRO in the lineup. The screen as shown makes no mention of the PRO system, but is in fact the screen for the Elite system (see upper right-hand corner), which shows an out of stock date of 8/30/2009 (lower half of screen). Therefore based on the computer screen image I would suspect the opposite, that the PRO system will get the 120 Gb drive and the Elite will be dropped. Further supporting this would be that the PRO has always out sold the Elite and is considerd the standard. As they did when they upgraded the 20 Gb drive on the original Pro to the 60 Gb drive, it would make sense to simply upgrade the 60Gb drive to the 120 Gb (the only difference between the systems anyway besides the cables, which are component on the PRO and therefore cheaper than the HDMI cables on the Elite). Further supporting this is MS's push for downloading digital content, thereby requiring a much larger hard drive and allowing them to upgrade the Elite (assuming they are not dropping it) with an even bigger hard drive (hopefully at least 250 Gb one). This also maybe why the Elite in the computer screen shows an out of stock date (referring to the 120 Gb model) so they can replace it with an Elite with a larger hard drive. As further evidence, where I live the Elite is being offered with a free controller and 1600 Live points for a total savings of $70.00. If in fact the PRO model was being discontinued would they not start at least month earlier, if not longer, discounting (offering free items with purchase) to clear out its stock of the PRO and not the Elite. As for the photos, well that could have been easily digitally altered to eliminate the Pro model.

I actually just received a new photo that would go along with this theory.. and I will post it here in a sec.

Except the packaging... says elite on the new packages....there is no pro model...

Last edited:
if that price cut is indeed real, it will be interesting to see the effect it has on the PS3. Now, I know the ps3 is a much better deal for $299 but will mainstream consumers/parents...plus, in the US there are so many xboxes and kids will still want to game with their friends who have xboxes.

thinking of buying a new xbox,mine doesn't have the hdmi output and the lens is dirty..

i put in one of those disk cd cleaners in and it seem'd like it didn't work.