Multi NieR: Automata (2017)

Jan 31, 2012
Release: February 2017 (Japan)
Platform: PS4

Nier: Automata
is an upcoming action role-playing game developed by PlatinumGames and published by Square Enix exclusively for the PlayStation 4. The game is set in the same universe as Nier, a spin-off of the Drakengard series.

Production began in 2014, with series creator Taro Yoko, producer Yosuke Saito, and composer Keiichi Okabe returning to their respective roles. Atsushi Inaba is acting as co-producer for PlatinumGames, while regular Square Enix artist Akihiko Yoshida designed the main characters. The goal was to make a new Nier game true to the spirit of the original, while creating better action gameplay.

I struggled to get through the orignal Nier on PS3. Despite loving the story and music, I found the gameplay and padding to get all the endings extremely tedious. I hoped Yoko Taro's follow up title Drakengard 3 would deliver a more linear/smoother action experience but that game was a real hot mess from top to bottom. Now by some miracle Platinum Games (Bayonetta/Vanquish/Metal Gear Rising etc) of all studios are heading up the production of an offshoot sequel to NieR. The reveal trailer footage speaks for itself. If all the stars align as they should this game could be fantastic!

Last edited: