Official Mac Thread

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Yes I went there!

Let's keep it clean, I know we got a few peeps that have Macs I'd like to get a thread going so they can share their knowledge.

I am rookie in this field. I know how to get around the system, but if I get stuck I don't know what to do other than hold the power button and turn off the system.

Any software recommendations, tools, utilities that are must have? let's share some tips!

*No bashing will be tolerated! If you got nothing productive to post please keep it to yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly this thread is designed to isolate PC users from a community discussion. I protest.

lol

Just kidding... I give my bro and dad a hard time about their MACs but only because they seem like single-purpose machines a lot of the time, BUT I give credit where credit is due - they do their purpose very well!

btw why IS a mac so expensive?

I will try to be more constructive from here on out!

Clearly this thread is designed to isolate PC users from a community discussion. I protest.

lol

Just kidding... I give my bro and dad a hard time about their MACs but only because they seem like single-purpose machines a lot of the time, BUT I give credit where credit is due - they do their purpose very well!

btw why IS a mac so expensive?

I will try to be more constructive from here on out!

I spent some good 1600 on my gf MacBook last year, she carries that thing everywhere. Never really had a problem with it to date and is almost a year since she got it.

Few things I like, software updates everything from the Hardware to the software and OS patches. Very easy to do and most of the time it doesn't break the system lol

Obviously the system is all Apple stuff so they can get away with this.

I downloaded a bunch free applications (I know free and Apple don't get along very well! :)) and they very cool. I'll post the names later today.

Me and the wifey got the Mac book Pro 15in for our main computer and I'll NEVER go back to windows. We've had it for two years and not one virus no spy ware and it's as quick as the day we bought it. Little bit of a learning curve at first but once you get past that it's smooth sailing. My favorite app is iMovie very fun and very addicting. :twisted:

Last edited:
I want a MacBook Pro also I might just fork out the cash at the end of the year obviously not as my main system :) nothing replaces my beast of a machine lol

I got upgrade my hardware and from then see how much money I got left. My gf didn't bring her Mac with her so I can't post all the plugins I got for her. If she brings it today then I'll post it.

I want a MacBook Pro also I might just fork out the cash at the end of the year obviously not as my main system :) nothing replaces my beast of a machine lol

I got upgrade my hardware and from then see how much money I got left. My gf didn't bring her Mac with her so I can't post all the plugins I got for her. If she brings it today then I'll post it.

Heck yes post them!!!

No, very few games make it to the Mac. It's usually because of hardware limitations and software compatibility. However, lately developers have been porting the games to be playable on the Mac.

I finally got a hold of my gf Mac.

Here's the applications I've installed.

AppZapper - For deleting applications, works great! deletes the application and every other file associated with it.

Delicious Library 2 - To maintain a library (DVDs, Toys, Software, Video Games, etc.) Is not free, the software license is $40, but is awesome! I love it, you can use your built in iSight to scan barcodes and uses Amazon to find and automatically add covers and pictures!

Flip4Mac - WMV plugin

Microsoft Office 2008 - Can't work without Office! :) Is decent not as good and not the entire library of plugins the PC version has, but does the trick.

PS3 Media Server - Works awesome!

Toast 9 - Roxio burning software

VLC - Media Player

SlingPlayer - Got Sling?

iStat Menus - Adds several menus on your menu bar (BT profiles, HDD stats, Memory usage, Network usage, system temperature, etc.) http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatmenus/

Synergy - Adds iTunes controls on your menu bar http://wincent.com/a/products/synergy-classic/

Frostwire - I am not promoting any piracy! lol

Vuze - Used to download torrents - Also I am not promoting any piracy!

Last edited:
Why isn't there a PC thread?

I was about 18 when I wanted to get a mac. I was looking around waiting for Christmas to come, then I realised you can build your own PC to how you want it. I don't really understand the hype of a Mac. I'm sure its a great computer and it seems very easy to use. But I don't see why I would get a Mac when you can get a PC to do the same thing for less.
Plus I'm a huge gamer so PC was a win win for me.

Tell me, what is it about that Mac? What can a Mac do the a PC can't? By the way, I don't mean that in a bad way, they are genuine questions lol.

No, very few games make it to the Mac. It's usually because of hardware limitations and software compatibility. However, lately developers have been porting the games to be playable on the Mac.
Also, Microsoft put money into getting games on the PC. Devs get a lot of support from MS. Thats why the 360 got to have "used to be Exclusive" franchises to the 360. Plus, its meant to be easy to develop for MS OS's.

Last edited:
Why isn't there a PC thread?

I was about 18 when I wanted to get a mac. I was looking around waiting for Christmas to come, then I realised you can build your own PC to how you want it. I don't really understand the hype of a Mac. I'm sure its a great computer and it seems very easy to use. But I don't see why I would get a Mac when you can get a PC to do the same thing for less.
Plus I'm a huge gamer so PC was a win win for me.

Tell me, what is it about that Mac? What can a Mac do the a PC can't? By the way, I don't mean that in a bad way, they are genuine questions lol.

Also, Microsoft put money into getting games on the PC. Devs get a lot of support from MS. Thats why the 360 got to have "used to be Exclusive" franchises to the 360. Plus, its meant to be easy to develop for MS OS's.

To tell you the truth, I don't know lol I use it because the my gf has a Macbook otherwise I wouldn't ever use it unless I was at work and needed to use it.

I'll make a PC thread no biggie :)

Mac is awesome!! No viruses to slow you down, no anti-spyware and virus software to deal with!!! That right there is worth the price alone!!! Have to take my son's new Dell lap top to Alaska when we go on vacation so not looking forward to dealing with Windows again! :twisted::twisted:

Mac is awesome!! No viruses to slow you down, no anti-spyware and virus software to deal with!!! That right there is worth the price alone!!! Have to take my son's new Dell lap top to Alaska when we go on vacation so not looking forward to dealing with Windows again! :twisted::twisted:

You have no viruses, because hackers don't use Macs, and they love their programs already made for Windows. Also Macs run better because Apple makes their own hardware to work with their software, which is 1000x easier than making your software work with every computer ever alive.

Umm there is viruses, there just isn't many which is different. :D

Yeah sorry I didn't get all technical and ****, I realize this, just meaning I myself PERSONALLY haven't had any viruses to deal with. I'm so sorry for not being clear enough Cali and Horhay!! :rolleyes:

Yeah sorry I didn't get all technical and ****, I realize this, just meaning I myself PERSONALLY haven't had any viruses to deal with. I'm so sorry for not being clear enough Cali and Horhay!! :rolleyes:

lol I wasn't trying to be mean, I just always hear that from people. I think I got some plugins at home that let you monitor your system on the top bar. I got to find them.

Here's a how to!

Burn DMG to a disc

1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

2. Insert your blank DVD or CD.

3. Drag and drop your .dmg or .iso file to the left pane in Disk Utility. Now both the blank disk and the .iso/.dmg should be listed.

4. Select the .iso/.dmg file you want to burn to disc, and click on the Burn button. A dialog box confirming the destination (your blank CD/DVD) will appear, as shown:

burndiscin.png

5. Sit back and wait while your new disc gets written!

All discs burned on the Mac work across platforms; you'll notice in the screenshot that I'm burning the Ophcrack Live CD, which is obviously for use on Windows. This is a great way to back up software installation .dmg's to optical disk to free up space on your Mac's hard drive.

Source: Lifehacker