Official Mac Thread

Horhay

ホルヘ
Jan 27, 2009
San Pedro, CA
Yes I went there!

Let's keep it clean, I know we got a few peeps that have Macs I'd like to get a thread going so they can share their knowledge.

I am rookie in this field. I know how to get around the system, but if I get stuck I don't know what to do other than hold the power button and turn off the system.

Any software recommendations, tools, utilities that are must have? let's share some tips!

*No bashing will be tolerated! If you got nothing productive to post please keep it to yourself!

Last edited by a moderator:
To tell you the truth, I don't know lol I use it because the my gf has a Macbook otherwise I wouldn't ever use it unless I was at work and needed to use it.

I'll make a PC thread no biggie :)

Ok cool lol.

I suppose its really what the user wants. I've heard the Mac is an incredibly user friendly computer, which is a bonus for a lot of people I'm sure. It comes with software ready for most people. I've heard its also very easy to set up. And a lot of Musicians and Video editors use Macs.

macs main advantage to me these days is the ability to run windows :p

just wish i could on my ibook

Ok cool lol.

I suppose its really what the user wants. I've heard the Mac is an incredibly user friendly computer, which is a bonus for a lot of people I'm sure. It comes with software ready for most people. I've heard its also very easy to set up. And a lot of Musicians and Video editors use Macs.

MY gf loves her Mac, its very easy to use.

macs main advantage to me these days is the ability to run windows :p

just wish i could on my ibook

I never really tried bootcamp, I wonder the difficulty behind this process.

MY gf loves her Mac, its very easy to use.

I never really tried bootcamp, I wonder the difficulty behind this process.

you use boot camp to partition the drive, and throw in a windows installation disc, and install. the end. its honestly that simple

One of the little frustrations in my everyday use of Leopard was the way it searched in folders. When in a Finder window, there was a handy-looking search box in the upper right-hand corner. I would place the cursor, type my query, and be annoyed by the fact that OS X searched my entire Mac.

Nooo. If I wanted to search the whole thing, I would have asked to search the whole thing.

Thank goodness Snow Leopard fixes this minor workflow speed bump. Now you can choose what you'd like to use as a default: Search This Mac or Search the Current Folder. You can even say "I'll have another" by choosing to Use the Previous Search Scope.

Unfortunately the default out-of-the-box action is still set to look everywhere on your Mac. But don't worry, it's easy to change.
Make sure Finder is your active app (either click on the Finder icon in the dock, click the desktop or a visible Finder window, or cmd-Tab to switch to the Finder).
Choose Preferences in the Finder menu. Or you can just use the Command-comma key combo to invoke Preferences.
In Finder Preferences, click on the Advanced tab.
Choose your desired search scope from the drop-down menu under the heading "When performing a search."
Close the Preferences and enjoy a search or two.
That's it. Just one example of the many little changes in Snow Leopard that make life with the OS easier and more efficient. I hope you find what you're looking for!

Source: TUAW

When I was a kid my neighbor had an enormous St. Bernard dog named Caesar. It lived in a grungy dog house in their back yard. Caesar's hobbies included barking incessantly. In fact, that was all he ever did. All day and all night that furry, drooling monstrosity barked. LIke a canine jackhammer to the face.

Caesar wasn't half as annoying as Psystar.

To keep a ridiculous story short: Psystar sells its own computers capable of running Mac OS X. The back-and-forth battle between Psystar and Apple has done almost nothing to dissuade the clone maker, and this week it's gone to a whole new level.

Psystar has moved to sue Apple over the release of Mac OS X Snow Leopard. In short, Psystar wants an injunction and damages due to Apple's "...anticompetitive attempts to tie Mac OS X Snow Leopard to its Macintosh line of computers." That's right, in some wacky attempt to turn a profit, Apple has released a proprietary OS meant to run on its proprietary hardware.

They claim that their method of running Snow Leopard is different than Apple's method, and if they buy copies of the OS and install them on machines which they then re-sell, then everything should be OK. I support Psystar's right to capitalist goodness, but their stubborn adherence to a lost cause is annoying.

Like Caesar.

Source: TUAW

This article made me laugh, they are going to just waste their time! :)

Hey guys did any of you happen to have gotten Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard yet? if so, could you tell me the exact build number of the OS? thanks.