Official Sony PS3 Price Cut announced - Megathread now $299!

Jan 29, 2009
We have all seen the reports of Sony stating that there will be not be a price drop for the PlayStation 3 anytime soon, but do you believe this to be true?

I have a very good feeling that Sony will be announcing a price drop for the PlayStation 3 soon in the upcoming months. The reason why I say this is because many websites like Dell and Amazon have dropped the price of the system on their website as seen here. As you can see, Dell has the PS3 priced at $339.99 and just last week Amazon had it listed for a little over $350. I believe Sony might have a strategy behind this and is working with companies to determine how much they should drop the price of the PlayStation 3. Think about it, if Amazon has the PS3 listed at a little over $350 and there is not much of a sales spike, Sony would see that dropping the system $50 would not be effective. Now if Dell has the system at $339.99 and the sales jump drastically, Sony would realize that dropping the system more than $50 would be an effective way to sell more consoles.

The reason Sony is saying they do not plan for a price drop anytime soon is because of business. Think about it, if you are selling something for $399.99 and then announce that it will be much cheaper in a couple of months, would you expect many people to go out and buy your system knowing this? Of course not. Sony is trying to keep it all behind closed doors and keep from announcing it until the day of the price drop.

So I ask you again: Do you believe Sony when they say that they do not have plans for a price drop anytime soon?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while since a modified hardware revision of Sony's portable machine was on the cards. This machine dubbed the PSP Go! is supposed to drop the bulky UMD drive in favour of internal storage and incorporate touchscreen controls like the Iphone and Nintendo DS. There was also heavy rambling regarding a motion sensing controller on the lines of the Wii-mote being unveiled by Sony at this year's E3 according to variety who reported the story the controller would use LED's and a small webcam to push accurate motion sensing movements.

Jake Osuwah's(P.R. Sony) tweeting page just updates with this following status message-

“Price Drop? Nope...(Seriously Quit it with all the Rumors) not yet anyway! Now about PSP Go/ PS3 Controls! (No comments)”

Not commenting on such heavily debated subject implies a certain degree of validity in the claims being made from different media outlets about the existence and revelation of both pieces of hardware at Sony's Conference at E3 2009.

source: skoar.com/news/admin/no-ps3-price-drop-psp-go/ps3-controls-slyly-confirmed.html?Itemid=46

With publishers and retailers having come and gone to E3 this past week, having seen no sign of any console hardware price cuts, the industry is starting to get antsy. Sales in the U.S. are expected to drop yet again in May by as much as 17% and movement on hardware pricing can't come soon enough, especially on the still too expensive PS3.

The good news is that Sony may be preparing to lower the price on PS3 this August in order to take advantage of the launch of EA Sports' Madden, which is always an event unto itself. Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia reports in his latest industry note that "industry sources indicate Sony is planning a $100 price cut on the PS3 in mid-August, just prior the launch of Madden (8/18) and the start of the back to school shopping season. This will naturally be a positive for the industry."

IndustryGamers sure hopes these sources are right. The industry needs cheaper consoles right now to keep its momentum from 2008 strong. And if Sony does drop the price on PS3, it could be a catalyst for both Microsoft and Nintendo to slash prices on the Xbox 360 and Wii, respectively. This in turn should help 2009 set yet another sales milestone for the games industry.

"The industry is alive and well. While software sales for the first half of 2009 are expected to be down mid-single-digits, we believe the second half, in contrast, will likely be up 10% to 15% driven by a robust lineup, easier comparisons and potential price cut(s)," added Bhatia.

Koller Comments on PS3 Slim Rumors

In an interview with Ars Technica's Ben Kuchera, Sony Director of Hardware Marketing John Koller had a few choice words regarding the PS3 Slim rumors that have traversed the internet these past few weeks leading up to and through E3.

Koller comments: "I think we have a tremendous story to tell today and I think the path that we're trying to lead is much different than Microsoft or Nintendo. We view a little bit of a different future. Who's going to get to the future first? I think that's a more interesting story than 'I found some packaging in China that may or may not...' you know, personally I don't see that as a story."

According to Kuchera, Koller's body language became "adversarial" when prompted about the PS3 Slim, which could mean a number of things. But because there's no official confirmation or nod towards the truth present, the PS3 Slim will just have to remain a rumor for now.

source: ps3.ign.com/articles/992/992957p1.html

interesting choice of words...

i think they will drop price for sure at right before this 09 holiday with all the triple a tiltles releasing- it will give tons of incentive

i think they will drop price for sure at right before this 09 holiday with all the triple a tiltles releasing- it will give tons of incentive

Can you imagine the number of PS3's they would sell if they dropped the price right before the slew of great titles came out?

Wedbush Morgan?s Michael Pachter has warned that Sony Corporation could lose a whopping $350 million in profits over a PlayStation 3 price cut ? and that?s on the basis of the Japanese hardware giant lowering the price by a mere $50.

The analyst went on to suggest that a price cut will likely transpire around October time, and that Sony were best off lowering the cost to $350 and including a popular first party title in the mix, such as Guerrilla Games? Killzone 2.

Rumors on a price drop have been popping up frequently over the last couple of months, with the most recent report indicating that Sony is likely to announce a reduction this August. Stay tuned.
________
HEMP

Last edited:
GameStop expects 'meaningful' PS3 price cut on Madden launch

The pressure on Sony to drop the PlayStation 3's price continues to grow. Arvind Bhatia, an analyst for Sterne Agee, said that GameStop management ?believes that a meaningful PS3 cut is highly likely in the near-term.? And it?s not just some vague hope, either, as GameStop has a date and number in mind: ?We continue to believe a $100 price cut on PS3 will occur around the launch of EA?s Madden NFL 2010, which is scheduled for release on 8/18,? Bhatia told IndustryGamers.

With details as specific as that, it makes one wonder whether GameStop knows something the rest of us don?t.

A possible PS3 price drop has always been a hot topic, but E3 and recent comments from Activision?s Bobby Kotick have put the issue back into the spotlight. It can only be good news for us, as a $299 PS3 will certainly increase software support for the system.
________
Lsd Rehab Advice

Last edited:
Alleged PS3 Slim Details Leaked, Forecasted to Arrive This Fall
It is real. As previously reported, according to Super_Secret the 'PS3 Slim' is a PS3 that's been cut down as much as physically possible without preventing the loss of playback of any existing PS3 title out there.

It still has Blu-ray, it still has wireless, it still has bluetooth and it still has gigabit ethernet. "OtherOS" support has been removed.
You still get 2 USB ports.

Hard drive sizes will be bigger, it will come in 120Gb and 250Gb flavors. It's still replaceable and will actually be slightly easier as it has been relocated to the front of the console.

It will NOT have any "new" features, such as backwards compatibility or enhanced peripheral support. It's just a PS3, but slightly smaller and cheaper. The power supply is still internal, but a different power cable will be used.

Rear ports are still the same: 1x HDMI, 1x Sony AV port, 1x Optical, 1x Ethernet. And of course a power port. Release date and official announcement are not final.

Price is undetermined, but make no mistake, this is a "slimmed" PS3 in every sense of the word. It's as cheap as can possibly be, so expect it to launch with a smaller price tag than what you're paying now in your respective territories.

Internally, several daughter boards have been removed, but all functionality is still there. This is due to a more advanced manufacturing process. It still uses a few extra boards, though, we're not quite at PSTwo levels yet.

A cheaper Blu-ray drive is being used. It wont be any slower, but expect to see similar issues that another competitor had a while ago. Touch-sensitive buttons on the front for power/eject are gone in favor of cheaper push buttons.

It has a slightly different startup screen. Only slightly. It's about 50% smaller than current PS3s. It wont be called the "PS3 Slim". The PS1 "slim" and the PS2 "slim" were never officially called the "slim", either.

In short: It's a smaller PS3, but that's it. No new features, no special hardware, just smaller and cheaper. And it wont have sex with you.

Cross-game chat is in the works as part of Firmware 3.0. It wont be out during the summer, but assuming all goes well, it will be out well before the holidays.

Current timeframe places it around September, but it's still very much a WIP. If there are any major delays, that will slip and if there are very few delays at all, it might even arrive earlier, but don't bank on it as it is a lot more complicated than you might imagine.

At this point, it's working quite well in the labs and supports several players at once. It's targeted to work with all past and future games that support ingame XMB, much like text chat.

I'm not a betting man, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "slim" shipped with this firmware installed (that doesn't mean the slim will come first, remember).

Who said the 3000 wasn't being phased out? It will be and sooner than you realize. However, the PSP Go isn't what's replacing it. The 4000 is. And yes, it will have a UMD drive. And similar to the PS3 "slim", it's nothing to actually get excited about.

Keep a very close eye on the hard drives shipped with newer PS3's. In a few months (or possibly sooner), something strange is going to start happening.

There you have it, folks. That's it, I'm done, I'm outta here. If you have any more questions, you'll just have to wait like everyone else.

This account is gone, never to be logged into again. You might see me in a few months time when I've got something even more awesome to tell you, but it wont be from this account, and it probably wont even be on this site. Adios!

yee ha.

I'm going to make a new account and act all official and leak details and then say stuff like my account is gone and they're coming to murder me for leaking this info omg wtfux0rz

I'll b a hero!

yee ha.

I'm going to make a new account and act all official and leak details and then say stuff like my account is gone and they're coming to murder me for leaking this info omg wtfux0rz

I'll b a hero!

Lol. Either this guy is hella real, or the worst real person... He was pretty technical but not too much..

Sony will cut PS3 price 'when the time is right'

Sony Europe boss Andrew House has declared that the platform holder will not lower the price of the PlayStation 3 until ?the time is right,? reiterating his belief that Europeans are not as sensitive to price as other regions.

Speaking to MCV, House said that the firm is currently focused on injecting profitability back into its PlayStation business, and a price cut will only be considered once these issues have been addressed.

?Not to harp on about it, but the PlayStation 3 has a ten-year life cycle and there are issues of cost and profitability,? said House. ?We will make that move on price when all those factors are aligned.?

?Would people buy more when they are cheaper? Of course. But on the other hand there is an inherent marketing challenge. In Europe I think people do see the value of the machine, the Blu-Ray and network services and take that all into consideration instead of just focusing on price.?

?But we will look at price and will address it when the time is right,? he concluded.
________
Suzuki Rv 125 Van Van History

Last edited:
Our favorite inside source has given us a heads-up on what to expect from both Sony and Microsoft this year in hardware packages and pricing. The path to the holidays is a rosy one, with more hard drive space inside the systems at a lower price. Here's what we can expect.

Since we can't name the source, we're treating all this information as rumor, but the Mole's reputation in the industry for breaking large stories, a long history of being first out of the gate with big announcements, and an outstanding track record for accuracy speak for themselves.
Sony and the PS3

The 80GB model is going to see some serious hardware constraints in the weeks ahead, and retailers have about 60 days worth of inventory before the systems will become hard to find. Expect to see many more 160GB units on store shelves. Those units have no constraints yet, but if the retailers sell through that supply as quickly as they did the 80GB, Sony is in a good place for the final part of its plan in 2009: dropping the price of hardware and launching the PS3 Slim in the fall.

We have absolutely no information on what to expect from that price drop, so we don't know how large it will be... yet. Still, hearing confirmation from the Mole that it's coming is great news. Sony has had much success getting people excited about the PSP platform with a raft of new games and the PSP Go hardware, so launching the PS3 Slim and dropping the price on the hardware that's out now should give the platform its own boost.
Microsoft and the Xbox 360

Expect the Xbox 360 Pro to disappear in July or August, but you're going to see some solid bundles to get those systems moving off store shelves. The Halo 3/Fable 2 bundle the Mole previously tipped us off to shows that Microsoft is willing to put some good games into the box to get people buying.

So what are we going to do without the Pro systems? Nothing. The Elite units, with the 120GB hard drive, are going to become the Pro-level system after an early September price cut. We'll be on the lookout for another holiday bundle as well, and that should hit around October. What titles will be included? We should be able to break that story as well, but we don't have the information yet.
In conclusion

These moves all make sense: the systems are becoming less expensive to build, and hard drive space doesn't cost much to add... although it does make a good story when you have more storage to offer consumers. With Microsoft selling entire games through Xbox Live, the Elite has become far more important.

The wind was completely taken out of Sony's sales when so much conversation and video was released detailing the PSP Go before E3, so making the launch of the PS3 Slim an event should prove an interesting challenge for the company. The Xbox 360 and PS3 have been "current-generation" systems now for a while; these price drops and bundles should help widen the installed base of both systems.

PS3 price cut coming this fall, says report

Sources close to website Ars Technica have claimed that Sony is to lower the price of the PlayStation 3 this fall.

The site predicts that the high-end 160GB SKU will replace the 80GB model once the latter?s current stock has been depleted. Following this, it is believed the platform holder will slash the price of the system and introduce the long rumored Slim PS3 around the same time.

No details were given in regards to how much Sony is looking to cut the machine?s price, though we?ll be sure to keep you updated. Keep in mind that an official price cut has yet to be confirmed, so take this with a pinch of salt until we hear otherwise.

Stay tuned.
________
Aromed vaporizer reviews

Last edited:
Tecmo Koei CEO would 'welcome' a PS3 price cut

Tecmo Koei boss Kenji Matsubara has said that his company would welcome the idea of a PlayStation 3 price cut, revealing that he frequently mentions the subject when conversing with Sony representatives.

Speaking during an interview with CVG, the executive stated, "Whenever I discuss this with Sony reps I always ask them: 'Please cut the price'. From a publisher's point of view we would welcome a price cut for PS3 and we are waiting, definitely.?

Despite this, Matsubara acknowledged that the industry accepts the PS3?s high retail price as a result of its expensive innards: "It's definitely a way of boosting the PS3 market, but it's Sony's strategy and I don't know their cost structure.?

?Sony introduced cutting-edge technology in the PS3, that's why people in the industry accept that the PS3 cost is so high, but we'd welcome a price cut,? he said.

Speculation on the possibility of a PS3 price cut has remained a topic of hot debate over the past few months, though from the look of things, Sony doesn?t have any plans to pursue such a move ? at least not yet.
________
Free Vaporizer

Last edited:
all this price cut crap is getting on y nerves why cut a consoel that's bleeding money down even more when they havent gotten the manufacturing price down at all this year. wait till next year then i can see them making it 300 whihc is to low imo.inless they drop 50 this year and 50 next year.