Official Sony PS3 Price Cut announced - Megathread now $299!

Jan 29, 2009
We have all seen the reports of Sony stating that there will be not be a price drop for the PlayStation 3 anytime soon, but do you believe this to be true?

I have a very good feeling that Sony will be announcing a price drop for the PlayStation 3 soon in the upcoming months. The reason why I say this is because many websites like Dell and Amazon have dropped the price of the system on their website as seen here. As you can see, Dell has the PS3 priced at $339.99 and just last week Amazon had it listed for a little over $350. I believe Sony might have a strategy behind this and is working with companies to determine how much they should drop the price of the PlayStation 3. Think about it, if Amazon has the PS3 listed at a little over $350 and there is not much of a sales spike, Sony would see that dropping the system $50 would not be effective. Now if Dell has the system at $339.99 and the sales jump drastically, Sony would realize that dropping the system more than $50 would be an effective way to sell more consoles.

The reason Sony is saying they do not plan for a price drop anytime soon is because of business. Think about it, if you are selling something for $399.99 and then announce that it will be much cheaper in a couple of months, would you expect many people to go out and buy your system knowing this? Of course not. Sony is trying to keep it all behind closed doors and keep from announcing it until the day of the price drop.

So I ask you again: Do you believe Sony when they say that they do not have plans for a price drop anytime soon?

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely think they will be dropping the price, my guess would be this spring. Xbox has boosted their lagging sales with their drop, and regardless of their spin Sony must have been disappointed with holiday sales of the PS3. I think they know they need to do it as soon as possible, it's just a matter of when not if.

I also think it will be during the spring, and it needs to drop $100, but I think Sony is hurting, which is making me rethink this.

I hope they do. I still got a few family members that want to get one, but said it's too expensive. I've mentioned to them it's a possiblity it MIGHT drop $100 and if it did they said they would go out and buy it.

Many rumors and speculations have been surfacing over the past few weeks about a price drop for the 80G PS3. Video game analyst Michael Pahcter stated that the PS3 would drop from $399 to $299, and even speculated that the Xbox 360 would follow suit short after. The most recent of rumor began when an online magazine reported that a Sony rep said the company would have a price cut on the PS3 to round out the Sony fiscal year.

With so many rumors, Sony was had no choice but to respond about the PS3 price drop. A statement issued by Sony to Edge stated, "There are no plans for a price reduction on PS3 in March 09, and anything reported on or discussed otherwise is purely rumor or speculation."

Only time will tell when the next price drop will be, but Sony has guaranteed it will not be in March of 2009.

Official Sony PS3 Price Cut Looms - Megathread - $100 off??

Chinese Website Hexun.com is reporting that Sony is indeed planing a $100 price drop that is set to happen in April or May at the latest. This contradicts reports earlier in the week that stated the price drop would happen within the next few days. No word was given of the supposed plans to cut Blu-Ray functionality from the low end model. Which in our opinion does not seem likely at all.

http://gamingfront.net/news/276/100-ps3-price-drop-by-may/

Rumors and speculation surrounding a potential PlayStation 3 price cut announcement have been swirling in recent days, and during a recent technology conference, executives from publishers THQ and Electronic Arts have weighed in.

This week, Janco Partners analyst Mike Hickey said he believes a price adjustment could come out of Sony's just-held retailer meeting and take effect by April, but so far the manufacturer has stayed quiet.

But that hasn't kept third parties from tossing out their own thoughts during the Goldman Sachs Internet and Technology Conference in San Francisco.

THQ president and CEO Brian Farrell spoke positively about Sony's showing at its retailer conference, but suggested that the price of the company's console is becoming increasingly out of step with the surrounding economic and competitive factors.

"I think [Sony is] aware that, particularly in this environment and based on where their competitors are, they're going to have to move price at some point," he said. "It's just a question of when."

Electronic Arts COO John Pleasants, on the other hand, noted that while he would not surprised to see "some things happen this year" with respect to price cuts, he thinks the current nature of console platforms gives Sony some breathing room.

"It feels like we're about halfway through the cycle, and it's important to think about that as it relates to pricing," he noted. "Therefore, I think it's going to be an extended cycle."

The COO pointed to the continued growth of online business such as Xbox Live and PlayStation Network, as well as the success of peripheral sales, as mitigating factors that introduce additional revenue streams and lessen the need for solely more unit sales.

"I think you're going to see a lot more innovation on these platforms over the course of the next two or three years, which means the need to drop price is probably delayed," said Pleasants.

He extended that idea further, speculating that the nature of the next console generation changeover might be more gradual and evolutionary, explaining, "I think this idea of this Great Wall that comes down, and everything just moves, probably isn't going to happen anymore."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22495

Now that we've laid eyes on Uncharted 2, and have concluded that yes, it's the prettiest console game we've ever seen, we're wondering if the game's super anticipated launch later this year might coincide with a PlayStation 3 price reduction.

Think about it: it always makes perfect sense to issue a price cut at about the same time a major exclusive hits store shelves. This obviously isn't happening with Killzone 2, and the next big one is either Uncharted 2: Among Thieves or God of War III. There's always the possibility of Infamous or Heavy Rain prompting a price drop, but as good as those games may be, they're not highly visible titles. Besides, Uncharted 2 looks so damn amazing and it's no longer an unknown IP; it's the sequel to an IP that did extremely well, and a lot of people know the name, Nathan Drake. It will be hyped all year long, and although we don't have an exact release date, most are expecting it to drop some time during the third or fourth quarter this year. If this is true, the situation would look like this:

You've got one of the most anticipated PS3 exclusives of the generation. There's the fact that Sony has said, again and again, that they have no plans to issue a price drop any time soon (which is why you see the press releases telling gamers about how the PS3 is worth the current price). There's the possibility that the country will be starting to emerge from the current recession at the end of the year. There's the holiday season. Last but not least, we have to remind you that a huge 160GB PS3 bundle came packaged with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. It all seems to point towards one thing: a $100 PS3 price drop to go along with the launch of Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. How's that for a prediction?

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/4686.html

According to unnamed developers, Sony is readying a new iteration of its PlayStation Portable. Whether you call it the PSP 2 or PSP-4000, the rumored new version sounds like the most radical change to date.

That's because it's going to drop the battery-draining, bulk-adding UMD drive, according to word from Acclaim chief creative officer David Perry. Similar rumblings from Eurogamer say that Sony has dropped the UMD reader, adding a "sliding screen" that may mean a more compact piece of hardware.

Citing an anonymous "development source close to Sony," Eurogamer also says that the next PSP—which Sony may opt to simply call the PSP-4000—will arrive with games that can be played using only the shoulder buttons for playing while the sliding screen is in its closed position.

Eurogamer points to titles like LocoRoco for the PSP that could be played using only those buttons, but that game does use one of the face buttons for gameplay. The outlet mentions that "most controls will be inaccessible" while closed.

The new PSP is speculated to hit later this year.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/developer-backs-up-psp-4000-chatter

ps3pricedrop2-685x386.jpg

GDC price cut debunked...

Well, that's good I guess. But I guess sony doesn't mind getting killed month after month by the xbox 360. I'm still waiting for a price drop before I buy another ps3. I guess I'll be waiting alot longer now. Oh well.

Sony's Big Announcement

So, Sony said they had a big announcement that was supposed to take place yesterday March 31. What was it? I didn't hear anything. And if the "Big" announcement was a $99 ps2 then everybody at Sony has gone insane. Personally, I think Sony is done this generation. They are too far behind to make up enough ground to pass Microsoft.

Reactions: ocielz
So, Sony said they had a big announcement that was supposed to take place yesterday March 31. What was it? I didn't hear anything. And if the "Big" announcement was a $99 ps2 then everybody at Sony has gone insane. Personally, I think Sony is done this generation. They are too far behind to make up enough ground to pass Microsoft.

It was the $99 price cut... lol

Wow, that's pathetic!!! What has happened to Sony? They would have to outsell Xbox by 200,000 units every single month for the next 3.5-4 years just to catch up. I'm pretty sure microsoft will have a new console in the next 3.5 - 4 years.

Sony is even with what the 360 has done for their first 2 years, so that's why Sony is cutting yet. That and the exchange rate from japan to US is horrible.