Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. ?) [Hong Kong]

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Oooo that’s lovely
Sign me up.

Simple enough but also, busy enough...perfect balance IMO
Thanks man! Glad someone likes it, even if I don't lol.

Looks okay. Not sure if I’d prefer somthing like this or the illustrated art on steel. Then again that art would also look good on a full slip like their IB full slip
That's the art I wanted to use, but none of the other posters go with it. I agree though... it'd look great on a slip!

Reactions: Flloydo

yeslek

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Nov 18, 2011
Staffordshite, UK

That's the art I wanted to use, but none of the other posters go with it. I agree though... it'd look great on a slip!
I always seem to go against the grain artwork wise. Lol

Usually I find yours too busy for my own taste. Always lovely but my preference is more minimal where possible.
I can always appreciate the mock up efforts so please keep em coming :)

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles

tommyh84

Premium Supporter
Apr 28, 2011
Decided to start sharing some unfinished/rejected steelbook concepts I've done over the years, since someone might like them I guess.

This (with embossed title and characters) being the most recent one...

View attachment 448107

Tarantino is my all-time favourite director, so I always feel like I want to do his films justice by only making concepts that I'm 100% happy with. Obviously it doesn't help when the majority of official poster art sucks though, which is the case here unfortunately, and mainly why I consider this one a "reject".

I'm sure Manta will have a lot more imagery at hand and will therefore be able to come up with something a hundred times better! :notworthy:
Obviously that looks very nice, I assume you've done some photoshopping to take the characters out of their actual posters and blend them into one wraparound image as I dont recall seeing those images in that configuration before?

If that design were to see the light of day personally I'd prefer to just have the title embossed rather than the characters as well but that's just my preference :)

Jul 3, 2019
UK
Decided to start sharing some unfinished/rejected steelbook concepts I've done over the years, since someone might like them I guess.

This (with embossed title and characters) being the most recent one...

View attachment 448107

Tarantino is my all-time favourite director, so I always feel like I want to do his films justice by only making concepts that I'm 100% happy with. Obviously it doesn't help when the majority of official poster art sucks though, which is the case here unfortunately, and mainly why I consider this one a "reject".

I'm sure Manta will have a lot more imagery at hand and will therefore be able to come up with something a hundred times better! :notworthy:
Very clever, like it. I like the title and background best. Also one of my favourite directors. I think the issue with this film is the amount of major strong points. i think Cliff and Rick's relationship is the key driver, so this fits really well, but not sure Cliff looks as laid back and cool as he is in the film, looks a bit photoshopped. Maybe him on the roof, or with Bruce Lee. Sharon is lovely to have on it. I'd also like it to say "Your Rick *uckin Dalton, and don't you forget it" on the back with Cliff talking out the car window. :) :smuggrin:

Flloydo

Yo honey-dips, summertime, fine Jheri drippin'
Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
UK

Yeah the more I look at your mock up I prefer it how you’ve done it as the steel art.
Give me that, and then the illustrated art on a full slip please manta

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
I always seem to go against the grain artwork wise. Lol

Usually I find yours too busy for my own taste. Always lovely but my preference is more minimal where possible.
I can always appreciate the mock up efforts so please keep em coming :)
Thanks! I appreciate your honesty. Obviously you can't please everyone since we all have different taste, especially when it comes to steels lol.

I'm actually a big fan of simplicity as well, but I get the impression not many folks are into that unfortunately, so I tend to try and make what I feel the majority might like.

Obviously that looks very nice, I assume you've done some photoshopping to take the characters out of their actual posters and blend them into one wraparound image as I dont recall seeing those images in that configuration before?

If that design were to see the light of day personally I'd prefer to just have the title embossed rather than the characters as well but that's just my preference :)
Cheers! And yeah, all of my concepts are made in Photoshop lol. But I get what you mean... the background, characters, car, title are all separate layers. Wish I could do all my concepts like that to be honest, but it's not very often I have access to the PSD's (a file that has all the different layers of a poster).

Haha yeah, I do tend to go a bit OTT with the 'bossing nowadays. I just find it a bit of fun and it's not something I see other steel concept artists doing, so I like to be different. :p

Very clever, like it. I like the title and background best. Also one of my favourite directors. I think the issue with this film is the amount of major strong points. i think Cliff and Rick's relationship is the key driver, so this fits really well, but not sure Cliff looks as laid back and cool as he is in the film, looks a bit photoshopped. Maybe him on the roof, or with Bruce Lee. Sharon is lovely to have on it. I'd also like it to say "Your Rick *uckin Dalton, and don't you forget it" on the back with Cliff talking out the car window. :) :smuggrin:
Thanks! I'm yet to actually see the film myself, so can't really include any character/plot details in there. And as always, there's a very limited amount of imagery available to nobodies like myself, so I have to work with whatever I can find. Like I said previously though... Manta will hopefully have a lot more to work with, so will most likely deliver something more like you described. ;)

Reactions: jasong
Jul 3, 2019
UK
Thanks! I appreciate your honesty. Obviously you can't please everyone since we all have different taste, especially when it comes to steels lol.

I'm actually a big fan of simplicity as well, but I get the impression not many folks are into that unfortunately, so I tend to try and make what I feel the majority might like.

Cheers! And yeah, all of my concepts are made in Photoshop lol. But I get what you mean... the background, characters, car, title are all separate layers. Wish I could do all my concepts like that to be honest, but it's not very often I have access to the PSD's (a file that has all the different layers of a poster).

Haha yeah, I do tend to go a bit OTT with the 'bossing nowadays. I just find it a bit of fun and it's not something I see other steel concept artists doing, so I like to be different. :p

Thanks! I'm yet to actually see the film myself, so can't really include any character/plot details in there. And as always, there's a very limited amount of imagery available to nobodies like myself, so I have to work with whatever I can find. Like I said previously though... Manta will hopefully have a lot more to work with, so will most likely deliver something more like you described. ;)
Looking forward to the Manta details. Nobodies! I am amazed you are helping produce some of these. Aren't you the fella responsible for the FAC The Wolf (Unobtainium) design! . :) :thumbs:

PS. Love the film.

Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Looking forward to the Manta details. Nobodies! I am amazed you are helping produce some of these. Aren't you the fella responsible for the FAC The Wolf (Unobtainium) design! . :) :thumbs:

PS. Love the film.
Ditto! :D

Haha I am... although that happened by accident. Not that I'm complaining, of course. :)

Reactions: jasong

dfoles

Scanner Ninja
Contributor
Premium Supporter
May 15, 2013
GA
Thankfully Manta Lab is based in Hong Kong where Once Upon a Time in Hollywood got a release date back in late July. Also worth noting apparently quite a few Chinese are going to Honkers where they can watch Joker as there’s no chance that will get released for the Chinese market.
That’s good to know.

Reactions: willbar84

yeslek

Contributor
Premium Supporter
Nov 18, 2011
Staffordshite, UK